I know it is not going to happen, but one big reason to hire Spurrier

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I'm not sure everyone's getting it. He's past head coaching, but he isn't past coaching 'em up.

Hint: If you want a damn good OC who'll recruit from his mere presence, then consider.

Once again he has rejected that. Now he could be a consultant and maybe a QB coach but I think that is for HS, not UF. He is enjoying his retirement, please allow him to do so.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
Steve would be crazy to go back to that rat-race. As I see it, he current job description
reads something like "come in whenever you want to, do what ever you like, go home
at your will, and let us know if you're taking the day off to play golf."

00M0M_3dYYRfYzgFs_600x450.jpg

"SORRY GUYS! THE TANK HAS RUN DRY!"

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Once again he has rejected that. Now he could be a consultant and maybe a QB coach but I think that is for HS, not UF. He is enjoying his retirement, please allow him to do so.

He is enjoying his retirement, and he made it clear in a recent interview he'd like to mentor quarterbacks. Did you miss that?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Why couldn't our FB program have Spurrier-QB-sessions equivalent to watching films as all do now? He's a football IQ teacher. Let him teach and record grades for the HC & OC to see; that's the way student athletes will study to learn i.e. getting grades. ( the cap & gown for graduating this class will be a visor not cap... to throw it in the air.)

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I think most people here are going on the Spurrier myth not the reality. What Spurrier was really good at was calling plays to take advantage of a defense. You can not do that as a QB coach or consultant. He was also very good a taking a bunch of QBs and finding the best one and demand excellent play from them. You can not do that unless you are deciding who plays or not and as many will remember who to yank when they are not playing well.

More than a QB guru, Spurrier was an offensive guru. His QB may or may not have been great, but his offense, particularly with him calling the plays, was going to score points. You can get that in any part time or consulting role.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Again, coaches have huge egos. You really think Scott Frost wants Spurrier on his staff? The damn field is named after him! These guys don't want the distraction or to be overshadowed.

'78 is letting his dreams get away from him. It's over, old hoss.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly, I like SOS as he is in my memories... taking that wait 'till next year monkey off our backs and slamming it to the floor, all the while pouring points on the board like salt into the wounds. Every rival hated us out of fear of the pillage to come. Now, the program is a spider web, let some younger blood make a new mark in Gator lore. We're depending on you Stricklin. Do we carry you off on our shoulders or is it a ride on the buck board, tarred and feathered. You put us in the mood to party by getting rid of Mac-thorn, please don't show up without a gift. :cool:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Again, coaches have huge egos. You really think Scott Frost wants Spurrier on his staff? The damn field is named after him! These guys don't want the distraction or to be overshadowed.

'78 is letting his dreams get away from him. It's over, old hoss.

Tell me besides the tired old ego excuse why anyone wouldn't want him as their QB coach?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I think most people here are going on the Spurrier myth not the reality. What Spurrier was really good at was calling plays to take advantage of a defense. You can not do that as a QB coach or consultant. He was also very good a taking a bunch of QBs and finding the best one and demand excellent play from them. You can not do that unless you are deciding who plays or not and as many will remember who to yank when they are not playing well.

More than a QB guru, Spurrier was an offensive guru. His QB may or may not have been great, but his offense, particularly with him calling the plays, was going to score points. You can get that in any part time or consulting role.

That's a pretty good assesment.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
He's my favorite Gator ever and I get the whole nostalgia thing but we gotta move on.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Spurrier ain't gonna be coaching again at FUG.
He stopped wanting to coach after he left USCC and won't coach at UFG either. He does like the coach at UCFO even though he may leave for UNL. He has contacted his buddy who retired from UON. But his buddy might recommend his brother from UKL. However, he really wants the coach from USFT because his son works there. It doesn't matter as long as we beat UTK, UGA, and FSUT.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I think he wants something more visceral. He wants to be on the field working with them on mechanics. That may actually be his calling more than OC at this advanced stage.
I can relate to this. I am past running my two pe programs at two schools BUT........I love the teaching part. I put lots of time in teaching them how to shoot a basketball the last week and sonovabcch, my 2nd grade class is killing it. Out of 15 kids I bet a dozen are doing it almost exactly like I showed them AND lots of balls are going in the basket...... Many years ago I had a 3rd grader who was so technically perfect with the entire shot I brought him out to demonstrate to 5th grade how it was done.
What was the question again? oh yeah, SOS on the field doing some coaching. Any coach with brains would love to have him out there working with QBs. I know cause they call me coach. :proud:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I’d love for him to coach the QBs and be consulted as much as he’s willing.

Yes, Bowden & Paterno coached into their 80’s, but they were figureheads. Bowden being a joke at the end is one very big reason Spurrier doesn’t want to go too long.

Apparently Mac didn’t use him, which if true is the dumbest failure of his tenure in my humble opinion.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think most people here are going on the Spurrier myth not the reality. What Spurrier was really good at was calling plays to take advantage of a defense.
I agree. Not sure he'd even be a great QB coach, even 30 years ago for a system that wasn't his. Teaching kids to run the option in a spread system? No.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.