I need medical advice

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Was it ever determined what caused the disks to bulge? I've had similar issues, though not to that degree. Really glad for you it worked out.

Thanks, '78.

There is no single cause or incident that I can point to that resulted in immediate pain and/or motor control issues requiring prompt attention. Discussing with surgeon and knowing my family's history:

1. Genetics. Mother and 7 siblings have a history of chronic back and joint problems.

2. Pounding from long distance running.

3. Two concussions involving temporary amnesia.

4. Stingers when, despite wearing a hardhat, rammed my head into low overhead steel I-beams on several occasions.

5. Improper weightlifting technique.

Probably a combination of all of the above over time.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks, '78.

There is no single cause or incident that I can point to that resulted in immediate pain and/or motor control issues requiring prompt attention. Discussing with surgeon and knowing my family's history:

1. Genetics. Mother and 7 siblings have a history of chronic back and joint problems.

4. Stingers when, despite wearing a hardhat, rammed my head into low overhead steel I-beams on several occasions.

Yep, a combo. Car accident, running, lifting, etc. for me. Spent a summer kneeboarding on Lake Tarpon when I was in my late 20s. The higher the jump, the better. Ugh. Woke up one morning and couldn't get out of bed, the pinched nerve was so bad. Learned over time how to manage.

Got thrown from a jet ski going 50 mph (I was riding passenger, which caused the ski to fishtail) a few weeks ago. Somersaulted across the water and snapped it back good. I'm just getting back to form. Massages helped tremendously.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, a combo. Car accident, running, lifting, etc. for me. Spent a summer kneeboarding on Lake Tarpon when I was in my late 20s. The higher the jump, the better. Ugh. Woke up one morning and couldn't get out of bed, the pinched nerve was so bad. Learned over time how to manage.

Got thrown from a jet ski going 50 mph (I was riding passenger, which caused the ski to fishtail) a few weeks ago. Somersaulted across the water and snapped it back good. I'm just getting back to form. Massages helped tremendously.
That reminds me of an impromptu ski outing while I was about 14 years old. A man that lived a few doors down from my best friend had just bought a boat and asked us to go for a quick spin with him. We put in at Julington Creek and headed towards the Buckman Bridge. He decides he wants to ski for a bit, so we all did. When it was his turn, we had that thing doing 60+ and threw his old ass off. We laughed as we raced down the river, around the bend while leaving him treading water back near the Buckman. When we returned some 30-45 later...we found him nearly in tears with a broken arm! Good times! :lol:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That reminds me of an impromptu ski outing while I was about 14 years old. A man that lived a few doors down from my best friend had just bought a boat and asked us to go for a quick spin with him. We put in at Julington Creek and headed towards the Buckman Bridge. He decides he wants to ski for a bit, so we all did. When it was his turn, we had that thing doing 60+ and threw his old ass off. We laughed as we raced down the river, around the bend while leaving him treading water back near the Buckman. When we returned some 30-45 later...we found him nearly in tears with a broken arm! Good times! :lol:

:eek4:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sometimes you just suffer the aches and pains associated with growing old-
Papua01.jpg

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Those little oriental girls are something else, aren't they?!

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks, '78.

Admit it.... this was you:
200w.gif

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, at least MGM didn't confess to another felony.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Admit it.... this was you:
200w.gif

No, but long ago on a class trip one of my older brothers ran to and dove head first into what he thought was a full pool. He realized it was empty in mid-flight. End of class trip for him.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So an update. I had to have the leg cut off. Luckily.... they took a pic for me. Bike riding is going to suck now.

image_foot_after_amputation.jpg

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Instead of starting a new thread, I found this one and decided to add to it with a question for anyone with experience in herniated discs.

Four weeks ago I woke up with a pretty bad crick in my neck. I remember rolling to my left side during the night when sleeping. I normally sleep on my back so that was odd. As the day went on the pain lessened to almost none. I went to bed that evening and woke up on Thursday morning with the crick again. Same story. Then on Friday morning, I had taken the day off so there was no urgency to get up early but when I did wake up I could hardly move. Getting out of bed was torturously painful. All day long I was in extreme pain which began to radiate into my shoulder and down into my shoulder blade. The next 3 weeks I was in absolute misery. I went to a chiropractor on Monday the 22nd of May and then went back on Tuesday. He wasn't giving me any relief so I decided to find another. I went to Chiro #2 on Wednesday and again Thursday morning. No relief. So when I left her office I decided to go back to Chiro #1. Drove straight to his office and they were closed. So for the next hour I drove around town looking for a chiro that could help. I called one before going to their office and the receptionist told me, "I"m sorry but we don't have any slots for you to come in." I decided that if I am in their office they couldn't turn me away so I went there. When I went in the receptionist again told me they wouldn't be able to help. So I started looking for another and finally found one, Chiro #3. This guy was very concerned and took several x-rays, put me in traction to try and decompress the nerve, and finished with a pretty good adjustment. He told me to come back later that afternoon. I did and then visited him daily again Friday and every day the next three weeks. I also decided to go to a medical clinic and ask for a script for some muscle relaxers. They called in the script and I started taking them just about bedtime. They let me get almost a full night's sleep.

I was able to get an appointment for yesterday (Monday, the 12th) to see a neurosurgeon. He looked at the MRI report that I had sent to him (I also had to pay out of pocket for the MRI because my insurance denied the request) and when he came into the room he told me that my C3-C4 disk was in bad shape and needs to be repaired as was my C5-C6 disk which was actually worse. He said that my C4-C5 disk looks good but because of the one above and below were both bad that I would also need to "repair" it as it would just be a matter of time before it herniated. He said that he would suggest implanting the M6-C Artificial Cervical disc made by Orthofix Corporation.

Has anyone here had any experience with the prosthetic cervical discs? I can't find any bad reports about them other than there are so far only 2 that have failed to date.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I’ve heard of this situation. An uncle of mine had similar pain. The doctors attributed it to his scrolling though pages of nearly a decade worth of threads on a message board and choosing to bump one. Tragic really.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I’ve heard of this situation. An uncle of mine had similar pain. The doctors attributed it to his scrolling though pages of nearly a decade worth of threads on a message board and choosing to bump one. Tragic really.
That really is tragic and I can definitely sympathize with your uncle. I hope he was able to find some relief from the pain. Also, in an attempt to help prevent a similar situation for him in the future, might I suggest that he start using the "Search" function provided with this, and most all message board software? It really makes finding stuff pretty simple. ;)

GC Search.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.