If Franks is the starter....

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Grier played for a coach that threw the ball more often. Over the course of their high school careers Grier threw almost twice as many passes as Franks (1,264 to 661). Comparing totals is misleading in this case. In order to get a better comparison you would have to break it down per pass.

Grier 16.4 yards/attempt
Franks 19.6 yards/attempt

Grier TD for every 6.48 passes
Franks TD for every 7.59 passes

Grier INT for every 46.81 passes
Franks INT for every 38.88 passes

Grier 70.2% completion rate
Franks 56.9% completion rate

Grier 139.3 QB rating
Franks 124.9 QB rating

They don't appear to be that far apart. Of course, this doesn't take into account the talent level of the team they were on and the talent level of their opposition.

That completion rate is HUGE and you know it. Trying to extrapolate stats out when there's such a giant difference is disingenuous. Par for the course. They are miles apart. Time will tell though.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
As we all know, or should, spring games usually don't mean jack. So, Franks has done nothing, nada, zilch. Nobody knows because there is nothing tangible. Heck, LDR, at least has something we can go on and while I prefer he not be the QB, I do understand some still thinking he's in the mix. And it makes sense our willingness/eagerness to get Zaire. Boy, is fall camp gonna be interesting.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
As we all know, or should, spring games usually don't mean jack. So, Franks has done nothing, nada, zilch. .
It doesn't mean jack and directional school games dont either but you certainly like to see your offense not struggling against the walk ons (or directional school players).

You can usually tell also when a coach, like Spurrier, used the SG as a glorified practice. If the players missed something he'd come out scream at the offense then make them run it again. Then maybe he'd make him do it again after they got it right and forced the defense into another look.

I don't get the sense Butters was doing that. You didn't see him running certain plays just to test the second string O guys or whatever. That being said it was just as painful to watch any of our other Chimp/Butters era games, and I frankly didn't go back through it multiple times just to see what I missed the first viewing.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
It doesn't mean jack and directional school games dont either but you certainly like to see your offense not struggling against the walk ons (or directional school players).

You can usually tell also when a coach, like Spurrier, used the SG as a glorified practice. If the players missed something he'd come out scream at the offense then make them run it again. Then maybe he'd make him do it again after they got it right and forced the defense into another look.

I don't get too sense Butters was doing that. You didn't see him running certain plays just to test the second string O guys or whatever. That being said it was just as painful to watch any of our other Chimp/Butters era games, and I frankly didn't go back through it multiple times just to see what I missed the first viewing.
I do see your point. But, it's entirely possible Mac already knew and had seen enough in spring to know. They had to have the "game",so they put as good a spin on it as they could. Or "polished the turd", if you will. I figured you'd like that. Some damn body needs to step up and take this QB job.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
As we all know, or should, spring games usually don't mean jack. So, Franks has done nothing, nada, zilch. Nobody knows because there is nothing tangible. Heck, LDR, at least has something we can go on and while I prefer he not be the QB, I do understand some still thinking he's in the mix. And it makes sense our willingness/eagerness to get Zaire. Boy, is fall camp gonna be interesting.

Yep they usually don't mean much especially with how many of them are ran now. I watched parts of some of them on the SEC channel and if they do end up meaning anything Auburn's offense is going to be pretty good this year with that new QB and Tenn's QB will be decent. Miss State's QB really looked bad in their game. I don't totally blow them off if the starting QB gets a decent secondary to go against since I told FSU fans that year that Rapeis play in that spring game didn't mean anything.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Some damn body needs to step up and take this QB job.
Amen!

I'm not sure you're going to see that though. Tom Brady look like shyt with the wrong offensive coordinator and QB coach in college. The lack of competent play calling and lack of desire to stretch the defense at all along with a barely adequate O line is probably more than ANY quarterback can surmount. Given that we're trying to do it with castoffs and projects I think we need to be realistic and our expectations.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Auburn's offense is going to be pretty good this year with that new QB
Yeah I'm glad we don't play then. Their defense may be just terrible again but never-the-less they executed well.

and Tenn's QB will be decent.
We are going to have to outscore some teams this year. I haven't seen anything that makes me think this staff is up to the job.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Franks reminds me of Doug Johnson without the off-field drama. He also doesn't have SOS as his coach. That said, we'd all be clamoring for DJ type production right now.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
What was he his sr. year?

WHo f ing cares? Career numbers were posted. I bet you're gonna ride this one right over the falls, aren't you. Come back tomorrow when you sober up.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Franks reminds me of Doug Johnson without the off-field drama. He also doesn't have SOS as his coach. That said, we'd all be clamoring for DJ type production right now.

If he can nail 50% of his deep throws, it'll open up the offense and he won't have to do it often.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
WHo f ing cares? Career numbers were posted. I bet you're gonna ride this one right over the falls, aren't you. Come back tomorrow when you sober up.
Come back when you learn what the word "extrapolate"means.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Come back when you learn what the word "extrapolate"means.

LOL. Ok pal.

200w.gif

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Man, that's tough.

I will be very surprised if Franks throws for half the yards of DJ. Very surprised.

And DJ couldn't run. Franks will get a few yards on opportune runs, like AA did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.