If not Mullen who?

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I was told I could not be taken seriously here if:

• I considered Mullen an Excellent Coach
  • Or a Good Recruiter
So I propose to ...Chatter (Becoming a very nice Forum by the way)

You are now the AD at UF, who is your your pick for HC of Football?

Not so fast.

He/She MUST:
  • Be willing to come to UF - FROST is out
  • Not break the bank
  • Should have HC experience - Preferably D-1
  • Should at least know something about the Gator Nation (Not easy to please)
  • I'll wave Offense vs Defense
  • I'll wave must have coached in the SEC
  • You can keep Mullen

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I would have started with somebody that had say a winning Conference record at least.

Oklahoma hires coordinators and has done a much better job with their hires. The problem with Zook and Chimp is not that they weren't head coaches before, it's that they sucked. Butters obviously was a head coach before, but he was terrible. He had a record of losing five games a year and that's what he did here too. Mullinz resumes all so easy to figure out. Most people think Cowbell hired a better coach. How ling do you think Mullinz would have lasted at Cowtown if he lost to that idiot interperm on probation at Old Miss AGAIN.

We hire people that suck. That is the problem, not whether there a prior coach or coordinator, offense or defense.

Last edited:

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I would have started with somebody that had say a winning Conference record at least.

You're Up...Like who? And remember you have a few minor restrictions - He must want to come (No Sean Payton)

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Mullen is an upgrade from Butters, and he was proving his worth at MSU. I think the potential for him to be Spurrier-esque is there, just got to get the right resources in place. And its a little easier here to do that than at Starkville

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen is not my 1st pick but he’s not a train wreck. We’ll be competitive.

Who in front of him:

Petersen
Chip (yes I know we didn’t get him...)
Brohm
Frost
Norvell
Babers

Mullen is one step below these guys IMO. I’m more worried about the recruiting than the product on the field.

Muschamp - Recruiting > Coaching
Mac - Recruiting & Coaching equally suck
Mullen - Coaching > Recruiting

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You're Up...Like who? And remember you have a few minor restrictions - He must want to come (No Sean Payton)
Any of the HCs or coordinators who actually finish above 50-60th and who arent losers. There should be at least a few hundred better options.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Mullen is not my 1st pick but he’s not a train wreck. We’ll be competitive.

Who in front of him:

Petersen
Chip (yes I know we didn’t get him...)
Brohm
Frost
Norvell
Babers

Mullen is one step below these guys IMO. I’m more worried about the recruiting than the product on the field.

Muschamp - Recruiting > Coaching
Mac - Recruiting & Coaching equally suck
Mullen - Coaching > Recruiting
I think the top 5 didn't have the balls to come here and deal with our expectations, and not get paid 75 million. and the others didn't have the resume to get paid 6 million/year

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think the top 5 didn't have the balls to come here and deal with our expectations, and not get paid 75 million. and the others didn't have the resume to get paid 6 million/year

And Mullin's had the resume to get $6 million a year? If Strickland didn't have prior experience with Mullin would he be here at $6 million a year?

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Any of the HCs or coordinators who actually finish above 50-60th and who arent losers. There should be at least a few hundred better options.
Wow, so you want to be just like UTenn then? who settles for coordinators to run their program? I would much rather have someone with NC winning experience along with SEC HC experience, but that's just me....He hasn't even coached a single down yet, lets cut him just a smidge of slack before we grab the pitch forks and torches...

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
And Mullin's had the resume to get $6 million a year? If Strickland didn't have prior experience with Mullin would he be here at $6 million a year?
His resume was more deserving of that then the others that were mentioned earlier. But after all, this is there job so if he gets more money for doing his job, good on him and his agent. Im sure we all would love to do our jobs for free, and only get paid in hugs and rainbows....

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
This is a total red herring. The real question should be why do we have restrictions # 2 and 4. As long as we insist on those, we’ll need a miracle to get back to elite status.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
His resume was more deserving of that then the others that were mentioned earlier. But after all, this is there job so if he gets more money for doing his job, good on him and his agent. Im sure we all would love to do our jobs for free, and only get paid in hugs and rainbows....

So in other words, there is nothing that you can objectively point to that says he deserved a 1.5 million dollar raise. Which made him the (at the time) the 5th highest paid head coach in the country. Do you believe he is in the top 5? Do you believe he is in the top 10? If so, why?

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
So in other words, there is nothing that you can objectively point to that says he deserved a 1.5 million dollar raise. Which made him the (at the time) the 5th highest paid head coach in the country. Do you believe he is in the top 5? Do you believe he is in the top 10? If so, why?
He was the best available to fit the Gator Nation of the coaches that were available after Frost wasn't coming here and Peterson and Chip wanted the Jimbo dollars, so they were out of the question. You have to also remember that we are still paying Muschdump and Butters, so the budget to get a coach was limited. I do believe that he will be a success here just like he was starting to do at MSU. He was building their program out of the SEC West perineal cellar and into contenders. I guess my question is if we win 8-10 games and MSU wins the same amount, will he finally be deserving of acceptance as our head coach?

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
She? Are there women head football coaches I don't know about? :crazy:

Not sure if this was just put there to be politically correct or if NOLA is just hung over.

I don't drink so that's not it.

Title IX made me include that

Still no picks? I find that interesting.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
He was the best available to fit the Gator Nation of the coaches that were available after Frost wasn't coming here and Peterson and Chip wanted the Jimbo dollars, so they were out of the question. You have to also remember that we are still paying Muschdump and Butters, so the budget to get a coach was limited. I do believe that he will be a success here just like he was starting to do at MSU. He was building their program out of the SEC West perineal cellar and into contenders. I guess my question is if we win 8-10 games and MSU wins the same amount, will he finally be deserving of acceptance as our head coach?

Thanks for your service.

I like the Mullen Pick.

My choice would have been Charlie Strong with Kerwin Bell as OC but that would NEVER happen.

I hope all the Debbie Downers own up to it after this year. IMHO, we are on the way up.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I agree Frost, Peterson, and Chip were not coming here.

It doesn't matter that we are paying Muschamp or Butters those are sunkin costs. That can't be part of your rational for purchase, if it is you should be fired.

The question is the ROI on Mullins at $6 / year, better than the ROI of say Novell at $4.5/year (example). Mullins has a extended history as a head coach, so we know whom he is as a head coach, that isn't going to change. He is a guy that is good, maybe very good but not elite.

MSU under Mullins wasn't going to compete for an SEC West title on a regular basis. He got lucky that LSU AD can't get out of their own way in hiring coaches, TA&M hasn't realize the strength of the their resources (still haven't hiring Jimbo), and Auburn can't get out its own way.

If he wins 8-10 games, then he would have done the bare minimum for what is expected with this schedule, if we see the same product here he had at MSU then we have a failed hire. There is too much talent in the state of Florida to be happy with 8-10 wins with a 12/13 game schedule. That means out of 13/14 games (including bowl game). We were only the best team a little over 66% of the time at best, and the best team a little over 57% of the time at worse with at least 4 paycheck gimmie games. That's a failure at UF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator