If you do this stuff... you might be a redneck

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Sorry if this is a MOM...

Nick Washington -

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rida-gators-linebacker-hunts-alligators-spare

"He's a country boy from Jacksonville," center T.J. McCoy said.

Washington's father filled their football field-sized pond with bass, catfish, brim and a couple of carp when Washington was young so that the family could regularly fish. When he wasn't playing football or baseball, Washington would hunt hogs or white-tailed deer with his father. He later moved on to saltwater fishing because of the abundance of fish and the adrenaline rush that comes with a little added danger of the ocean.

"Something can pull you in there," Washington said, "that's the thrill."

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I went gator hunting once with my redneck family. So the rules are: you have to hook them with a treble hook, then you can spear it, then you can shoot it in the head. There we were, in the middle of a gator infested lake just west of Starke, probably about 1 am. It was a little aluminum john boat, skinny me, and 3 fat ass beloved rednecks. We hook a gator and he sinks. This is normal apparently. Everyone tells me he'll stay under for an hour. So we wait. Since it is my first time, I have to spear him. For an hour, they tell me all sorts of tales and stories of how nobody has ever gotten the spear through on their first try, the back is like concrete, blah, blah. After we finally see bubbles, we all stand and get ready. I have the spear in my hand and I am pumped. Like seriously pumped. Noway do I want my family making fun of me. The gator's back comes up, I rear back and put every ounce of weight and momentum into my stab..... and 100% miss. It was pure chaos at that point. I, of course, go right over the boat and land right on that sucker's back. In 1/10th of a second.... I am yanked back into the boat. Everyone else is laughing so hard they cant breathe as I sit there in stunned silence. After a minute or so, I finally go to take off my hat to rub my head. My hair was bone dry. How do you plunge yourself into a lake, head first, but your hair never touch the water? True story. :lol:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I went gator hunting once with my redneck family. So the rules are: you have to hook them with a treble hook, then you can spear it, then you can shoot it in the head. There we were, in the middle of a gator infested lake just west of Starke, probably about 1 am. It was a little aluminum john boat, skinny me, and 3 fat ass beloved rednecks. We hook a gator and he sinks. This is normal apparently. Everyone tells me he'll stay under for an hour. So we wait. Since it is my first time, I have to spear him. For an hour, they tell me all sorts of tales and stories of how nobody has ever gotten the spear through on their first try, the back is like concrete, blah, blah. After we finally see bubbles, we all stand and get ready. I have the spear in my hand and I am pumped. Like seriously pumped. Noway do I want my family making fun of me. The gator's back comes up, I rear back and put every ounce of weight and momentum into my stab..... and 100% miss. It was pure chaos at that point. I, of course, go right over the boat and land right on that sucker's back. In 1/10th of a second.... I am yanked back into the boat. Everyone else is laughing so hard they cant breathe as I sit there in stunned silence. After a minute or so, I finally go to take off my hat to rub my head. My hair was bone dry. How do you plunge yourself into a lake, head first, but your hair never touch the water? True story. :lol:

I don't believe a word of it, but I damn sure enjoyed it anyway. :lol:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
you're related to Coach?

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016

I had a similar experience.

When I was growing up it was still legal to trotline for soft shell turtles. For those who don't know, a trotline is a long line with bleach bottle floats every few yards. Each float has a line with a hook and some chicken as bait. You go out in a john boat in the morning and run the trotline. In the evening you come back and haul in the turtles.

One particular evening when I was no more than 10 or 11, I was in the john boat with my redneck stepfather and grandfather. Granddad was driving the boat, I was in the middle and my stepfather was at the front of the boat hauling in the turtles or cooters as they called them. The female turtles can grow to over 40 pounds and are a chore to haul into the boat. However, my stepfather was 6'4" and built pretty good so he didn't have much trouble.

We had gone out late so it was already pretty dark out. Near the middle of the trotline my stepdad tried to pull one in and it didn't budge. He looked back at me with a smile and said "this is a big one." He hunkered down and yanked the line with all of his strength. It turned out that this particular line had a fairly large and very unhappy gator on it that was now mostly in the boat and practically on my lap.

I went scrambling towards my grandfather while my stepdad wrestled with the gator. That was one very unhappy and aggressive gator. My granddad pulled out his pistol and ended the threat with a single shot, but that created a whole new problem. The small john boat with three passengers was now taking on water from the bullet hole in the bottom. I had just survived one gator and was looking out at the dark lake and wondering how fast a john boat can sink. I was not looking forward to that swim to shore.

Fortunately, they were able to get the boat to shore without sinking. That was the last time I ever went trotlining.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can skin a buck and run a trotline and a country boy can survive.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Sorry if this is a MOM...

Nick Washington -

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rida-gators-linebacker-hunts-alligators-spare

"He's a country boy from Jacksonville," center T.J. McCoy said.

Washington's father filled their football field-sized pond with bass, catfish, brim and a couple of carp when Washington was young so that the family could regularly fish. When he wasn't playing football or baseball, Washington would hunt hogs or white-tailed deer with his father. He later moved on to saltwater fishing because of the abundance of fish and the adrenaline rush that comes with a little added danger of the ocean.

"Something can pull you in there," Washington said, "that's the thrill."
Imma redneck then...and proud of it! The woods/water are my favorite places to be.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
When we were kids, about 15 or so, we had a johnboat with an old 1959 Johnson outboard on the back. Once I was on the shore watching my brother and friend going along in the lake and they had the motor set wide open and both of 'em were jumping on the bow making huge water splashes come up and hit them in the face and chest. Eventually they bounced it too hard and the whole bow went under water, followed by the whole boat disappearing and sweeping them both overboard. Then the boat breeched upward like a killer whale, flopped down on the water, and the motor died. They had to swim over to it and drag it back to the shore. It was almost completely full of water and if not for air pockets under the seats I'm sure it would have sunk. If they would have lost that outboard my dad would have killed them.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Famous last words, "Hey, ya'll watch this!"

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
The Southern National Anthem

The live version is 100 times better than the album one.

Are you guys gonna bust out any DAC?

The old man was covered with tattoos and scars...he got some in prisons and others in bars.

The rest he got working on old junk cars...in the daytime.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016

The old man was covered with tattoos and scars...he got some in prisons and others in bars.

Saw him in concert once. Damn good show.

David Allen Coe that is.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
When we were kids, about 15 or so, we had a johnboat with an old 1959 Johnson outboard on the back. Once I was on the shore watching my brother and friend going along in the lake and they had the motor set wide open and both of 'em were jumping on the bow making huge water splashes come up and hit them in the face and chest. Eventually they bounced it too hard and the whole bow went under water, followed by the whole boat disappearing and sweeping them both overboard. Then the boat breeched upward like a killer whale, flopped down on the water, and the motor died. They had to swim over to it and drag it back to the shore. It was almost completely full of water and if not for air pockets under the seats I'm sure it would have sunk. If they would have lost that outboard my dad would have killed them.

Similar story(mid 90's)...my buddy's dad had a brand new Sea Ray Sundancer...45 footer. Gorgeous. It had a small rubber dinghy for going to shore. We decided to have some fun. The thing was fast. The outboard was hand operated. One way was gas the other was idle. We cruised around then coming back to the dock my buddy turned the engine the wrong way and gunned it as we approached the dock. We all went to the back of the dinghy...it went vertical, my friends bailed...I stayed and flipped. The last thing I remember is that prop going right by my head. I went to the bottom for as long as I could hold my breath. I hear my friends calling my name. They thought I bit it.

Good times. That boat was bad ass.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Reminds me of an old friend Mihke Tidwell who lost his leg after a bass fishing accident. Pretty much lives off his brother's money to this day.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Did DAC sing Country Boy can Survive? I thought that was Hank Jr.

H20Gator

Sep 27, 2015

If that ain't country ...

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
fishing-fail-o.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics