If you do this stuff... you might be a redneck

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Similar story(mid 90's)...my buddy's dad had a brand new Sea Ray Sundancer...45 footer. Gorgeous. It had a small rubber dinghy for going to shore. We decided to have some fun. The thing was fast. The outboard was hand operated. One way was gas the other was idle. We cruised around then coming back to the dock my buddy turned the engine the wrong way and gunned it as we approached the dock. We all went to the back of the dinghy...it went vertical, my friends bailed...I stayed and flipped. The last thing I remember is that prop going right by my head. I went to the bottom for as long as I could hold my breath. I hear my friends calling my name. They thought I bit it.

Good times. That boat was bad ass.

Alligator Point - circa 1987 at a beach house that belonged to the Dad of a high school friend.
She was dating one of my frat brothers - and he and I and another friend went down and had a great day in her Dad's boat.
It was a fast one too...but it had one issue. You had to set it to full throttle to get it to start and then ease it back as the engine caught up.
We were up late a'drankin' and went to bed around 3-ish in the a.m.
Around 6am a storm was coming up so my buddy woke me up and said we had to get the boat undocked and over to the trailer to get it out of the water.
So I jumped in the boat, put the throttle full forward and turned the key. And of course the motor, which all the previous day had slowly chugged to life, IMMEDIATELY caught the full speed and threw me back in the seat and on to the floor. It was hauling ass next to the dock in parallel.
The dock then did a T-formation and I was heading right into the left part of the t. I jumped up and got in the driver seat and whipped the wheel to the left and just barely missed the upcoming collision with the outer part of the dock. Whew...still hauling ass but at least I missed the..
It was then I realized that there was a very large wooden pylon that was part of some new extension to the dock and...
I hit that bad boy dead center and came to an immediate stop. At least the boat did... I, however, did not. No airbags or seat belts of course.
So I broke through the heavy, thick glass type windshield with my face and ended up in the front of the boat on the floor.
The boat is now doing circles and my buddy is freaking out on the dock.
I manage to get up and then he really freaks when he sees my face. I get the boat under control and then collect myself.
And tell him I'm ok and drive the boat over to the landing to get it on the trailer.
Lovely drive up to Tallahassee to get all stitched up. Gashed my forehead and my upper lip and my wrist but pretty lucky overall it wasn't worse.
Then the $500 bucks to fix the boat was a nice cherry on top.
Haven't driven a boat since.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ahh yes, you haven't really lived until you've crashed a boat.

When I was in Pensacola going through flight school, the training base was actually up in Milton FL. I shared a house on a small feeder creek that went out to the Blackwater river and I kept an old Hydrostream Viper there. Getting through the winding creek out to the river to ski was a bit of a hassle because it was not only narrow but shallow. There were spots where the skeg on the outboard would drag the bottom.

The best way to negotiate the passage seemed to be to move a little quicker than you would think through the creek and keep the boat turning either left or right through the twisty path in the trees. That way, the motor stayed at an angle rather than straight down, which lifted the fin of the motor away from the sandy bottom. Well, one day while cruising at a pretty good clip through this creek I was in a right hand turn and we hit something, probably a submerged log. The wheel ripped out of my hand and went hard left. That little bat-boat caught an edge and shot to the left so fast it gave us whiplash. The creek was only about 30 feet wide or so, so you can imagine what comes next after doing such a hard turn at speed.

Right into the trees. In fact, not through the trees but smack dab square into a pretty hefty cypress tree. It destroyed the boat, opening a huge hole in the bow and all our skis shot halfway out the hole and were protruding from the front of the boat. My buddy and I launched forward and hit the low windshield railing...I sprained my wrist and he got a gash in the head but not too serious. The motor hit the bottom hard and the prop stopped so fast it broke the gearbox. I was able to get it restarted but couldn't get it into forward gear. I'm not sure I could have driven it home in forward anyway with the big hole in the bow, so I got it in reverse and backed it up about a mile to our house.

Last boat I ever owned.
ViperCasper.jpg

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry if this is a MOM...

Nick Washington -

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rida-gators-linebacker-hunts-alligators-spare

"He's a country boy from Jacksonville," center T.J. McCoy said.

Washington's father filled their football field-sized pond with bass, catfish, brim and a couple of carp when Washington was young so that the family could regularly fish. When he wasn't playing football or baseball, Washington would hunt hogs or white-tailed deer with his father. He later moved on to saltwater fishing because of the abundance of fish and the adrenaline rush that comes with a little added danger of the ocean.

"Something can pull you in there," Washington said, "that's the thrill."
Everybody knows you don't put carp in with bass. They a roe eaters :-).

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
When we were kids, about 15 or so, we had a johnboat with an old 1959 Johnson outboard on the back. Once I was on the shore watching my brother and friend going along in the lake and they had the motor set wide open and both of 'em were jumping on the bow making huge water splashes come up and hit them in the face and chest. Eventually they bounced it too hard and the whole bow went under water, followed by the whole boat disappearing and sweeping them both overboard. Then the boat breeched upward like a killer whale, flopped down on the water, and the motor died. They had to swim over to it and drag it back to the shore. It was almost completely full of water and if not for air pockets under the seats I'm sure it would have sunk. If they would have lost that outboard my dad would have killed them.
Great story. I guess the boat was not one of those that float even if cut in half.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
you're related to Coach?
I know that lake. It was Crosby, Rowell or Sampson. They are all there together west of Starke.
Yall probably went to the Slab for a beer soon after.
I have too many redneck stories to tell but I will get back after work with the best I can remember.
Guns and boats and cooters may all be involved...............

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know that lake. It was Crosby, Rowell or Sampson. They are all there together west of Starke.
Yall probably went to the Slab for a beer soon after.
I have too many redneck stories to tell but I will get back after work with the best I can remember.
Guns and boats and cooters may all be involved...............

Bingo.... Sampson.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Bingo.... Sampson.
Beautiful fishing lake............Havent been in awhile. The Slab is on the east side. HUGE rednck hangout..........Ive always wanted to go there on NY eve. Bet I would have taught many that show up there.................

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
NCM_0123.JPG

My parents have a 40acre lake in their front yard that's infested with gators. I normally leave them alone but this one wouldn't swim off when you walked near. He would actually come closer, he had my mother worried about walking up and down their drive way for exercise. So I decided he had to go.
How we normally do it is just shoot them off the bank with a 270 or 30-06 and depending on how far out they are we take a little john boat or just walk out there and get them (the lake is only 5 to 6ft deep up around their drive way). Thank god I took the boat this time because when I shot him he rolled over like they always do, so I assumed he was dead. But i had actually shot high and just knocked his eyes out and knocked him unconscious for a few minutes. So by the time I got to him he was fully awake and pissed off, but he wouldn't go under. He just kept swimming around with his head completely up out of the water trying to attack the boat. And all I had in the boat was a paddle and a electrical cord (not sure why it was in there). So I lassoed the bastard with the drop cord and drug him up to the bank. Once I got him close to the shore I was planning on shooting him with my 45. caliber judge, but like an idiot I forgot it only had 4-10 bird shot shells in it. After I unloaded that on him without any success I was starting to panic. So I told one of the a$$ holes on the bank to throw something to me to kill it with, they threw me a claw hammer, with all that was going on we forgot about the 270 in my truck that I had used on him at first. So I'm getting drug around in a boat by a 7.5 ft gator with his eyes shot out with a fcking drop cord trying to finish the job with a claw hammer. Amazingly it only took 2 or 3 licks to finish him off. The best part was I had a business partner in town from Colorado and he had been dying to see a gator for the first time. After I got him onshore and things calmed down the guy asked me "is that how you always kill them"? He's since moved down here but he's never asked me to see a gator again.

So does that make me a red neck?

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
View attachment 5741

My parents have a 40acre lake in their front yard that's infested with gators. I normally leave them alone but this one wouldn't swim off when you walked near. He would actually come closer, he had my mother worried about walking up and down their drive way for exercise. So I decided he had to go.
How we normally do it is just shoot them off the bank with a 270 or 30-06 and depending on how far out they are we take a little john boat or just walk out there and get them (the lake is only 5 to 6ft deep up around their drive way). Thank god I took the boat this time because when I shot him he rolled over like they always do, so I assumed he was dead. But i had actually shot high and just knocked his eyes out and knocked him unconscious for a few minutes. So by the time I got to him he was fully awake and pissed off, but he wouldn't go under. He just kept swimming around with his head completely up out of the water trying to attack the boat. And all I had in the boat was a paddle and a electrical cord (not sure why it was in there). So I lassoed the bastard with the drop cord and drug him up to the bank. Once I got him close to the shore I was planning on shooting him with my 45. caliber judge, but like an idiot I forgot it only had 4-10 bird shot shells in it. After I unloaded that on him without any success I was starting to panic. So I told one of the a$$ holes on the bank to throw something to me to kill it with, they threw me a claw hammer, with all that was going on we forgot about the 270 in my truck that I had used on him at first. So I'm getting drug around in a boat by a 7.5 ft gator with his eyes shot out with a fcking drop cord trying to finish the job with a claw hammer. Amazingly it only took 2 or 3 licks to finish him off. The best part was I had a business partner in town from Colorado and he had been dying to see a gator for the first time. After I got him onshore and things calmed down the guy asked me "is that how you always kill them"? He's since moved down here but he's never asked me to see a gator again.

I vote "yes". :lol:

Edit: That's a friendly "yes".

Last edited:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

:bwahaha: terrific story! I was rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.