If you were an opposing DC how do you defend this team?

leogator

May 5, 2018
Stack the box and dare Franks to throw? Blitz mercilessly?

If you are Mullen how do you counteract it? Slants? Screens? Long throws downfield to 1on1 receivers?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

If you are Mullen how do you counteract it? Slants? Screens? Long throws downfield to 1on1 receivers?
exactly. Any good coach will know o line is our weakest spot and should take advantage of that.
Franks has been known to crumble under pressure a bit, so until he shows he can make quick decisions under pressure, you treat him as if he can't.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
That’s been opposing defensive coaches’ strategy the last eight years. The Florida Formula. I’ve watched it at least a thousand plays. And the Formula has worked pretty well except for a few quarters with Will Grier beating it with the second part of your post regarding Offensive strategy. We did beat Georgia once by gutting their blitz running up the middle.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
That’s been opposing defensive coaches’ strategy the last eight years. The Florida Formula. I’ve watched it at least a thousand plays. And the Formula has worked pretty well except for a few quarters with Will Grier beating it with the second part of your post regarding Offensive strategy. We did beat Georgia once by gutting their blitz running up the middle.
Loved that game! What took the puppies so long to defend those runs?

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It really boils down to personnel. If you feel you can pressure with four it doesn't make sense to blitz much. Against Franks I'd probably play a lot of two deep and have corners gamble from time to time jumping routes. If you guess right it's an easy six. This of course is predicated on the fact that you trust your safeties to make open field tackles preventing a 25 yard gain from turning into a 70 yard gain. Until we start gashing people in the run game my safeties are 15 yards off the ball . 10 yards off the ball in the red zone. In short, Making Franks think has been advantageous for opposing defenses in the past.

leogator

May 5, 2018
I'd call a lot of LB blitzes from all over the place and then back off some of them. Always present blitz just so that a nervous OL might flinch and confuse Franks' reads.

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Attack the weakest part of our offense....O-line and the QB. Blitz every play and risk the occasional big play for all the sacks, miscues and picks that will happen if we fail to handle it.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Do whatever Muschamp and Auburn did in 06 and 07.

I mentioned in the other thread that to help the QB Mullen teaches a lot of pre-snap reads so that QB's hopefully know where to go with the ball before it is even snapped. Obviously there are times the first read isn't open so they have to go through their progressions, but ideally the pre-snap read will be correct. Anyways defenses can confuse QB's by showing man pre-snap and then playing zone or vice-versa, using a variety of stunts, showing blitz and not blitzing, etc. If you can confuse the QB, then it will be a lot harder for him to beat you.

Teams with a lot of talent could get away with playing a lot man and only rushing 4, but even those guys will still want to zone blitz occasionally. Confusing the QB and O-line is key. Also it helps to have a big body plugging up the middle.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

THIS!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

1. Until Franks shows he can read a defense, you probably will see lots of changing defenses to try to confuse him into a mistake. I would play various combo defenses with a robber short at times and long at times.

2. To counteract this, UF will run the ball alot and for pass plays Mullen should keep the field narrowed asking Franks to make decisions only on half the field or less.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Come after Franks a lot and try to crowd things so those simple short first read throws are not so easy.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Attack the dive on the option when expecting run and see how committed the QBs are to taking punishment from a SEC defense. See if you can get pressure with just your lineman on passing downs (as most teams could last year) if not blitz and make the O line prove they can pick it up and make Franks prove that when they overload or send more than can be blocked that he can make the correct read.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I run some form of zone blitz on every play. The knock on Frank's is he don't have it between the ears and makes costly mistakes. I'm not so sure if you mix it up well enough that he could figure it out. Plus I hit him on every read option no matter what just to rattle him.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Control the line of scrimmage, don't have the DE penetrate, but stay on the line of scrimmage for the plays that go wide. Use DT and MLB to move collapse the line which is our weakness. Until Franks has thrown the ability to throw guys open drop two deep and run man. Keep the run in front of you, and force 3rd and long. Then go after Franks.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

We are pretty shaky at everthing. Id blitz a lot, inlcuding run blitzes but that is always the answer from me.

Most will stay base until we prove the line can function.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well, first of all, you've got to contain Tim Tebow, and that's no small order...er...sorry about that I thought I was in a time warp. It's literally been that long since anyone asked that question.

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
DC's are out in force tonight

Point counter point, doesn't talent always beat coaching?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator