If You Were Tasked With the Rebuild...

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
A lot of good things have been said already, but one thing I'd like to add is that in order for Florida to rebuild quickly, they have to hire a coach that's already a household name. I'm assuming most of the recruits in Florida had to Google McElwain's name after he was hired here. This next hire needs to be somebody that recruits already know about and will be intrigued by as soon as his hiring is announced.

I would agree but which one would even consider it. How about we just hire the Falcon's staff? Or the Patriots?

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I would agree but which one would even consider it. How about we just hire the Falcon's staff? Or the Patriots?

I'm sure if the money's right someone would be interested. Ironically Foley's efforts to try to save money will end up being very expensive in the long run if their going to pony up the cash to fix his mistakes.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
...how would you go about it? I know, it's all hypothetical at this point (but maybe academic as well), but what would your process be to begin the journey back to competitive relevance? Here's what I'm thinking (and please add):
  • The program begins and ends with the HC in my opinion. There might be some who would wait for next year to come and go before pulling the plug (or reaffirming, though it's difficult to see that at this point), but given the downward trend of the last 7-8 years, I have to believe that the time is now (really past, but we have no reverse in this mechanism). I was a Foley fan for may years until it became clear that many of his decisions, while appearing to be good on the surface, have turned out to be bad to disasterous in the aftermath, but one thing he said that I believe is sound is that "what should be done eventually should be done immediately. Two East titles notwithstanding, time to find better than what we currently have. It may mean hiring someone young or unheralded if we can't find that splash guy immediately, but one thing is for certain, he would have to have the ability to walk in and re-establish the state HS connections that appear to be damaged so that we can get the in-state talent first and he would have to be able to build a staff of solid coaches and recruiters. After that, he has to be a better PR guy with both boosters/contributors as well as the media and be influential with the president and others who run the school. His role should be as CEO/ambassador for the program as much as the head football guy and it's alright for him to gladhand a little, but that can't be his dominant trait. He has to be taken seriously and that is what has lacked in 3 of the last 4 HC's we've had in my opinion.. If the guy we've got now as AD is worth a damn and the right one, he is either formulating or has such a plan ready to institute.
  • Part of the brand historically (beginning with SOS and interrupted a few years back) has been a potent, exciting offense. Thus, hiring an OC that can put such an offense together has to be a priority (and it would certainly help if the HC is bent in this direction, but if he's not, he has to get a guy that can get it done). Of late, defense has been the bell cow and while it is hard to find programs that have both of these groups functioning equally well, it should nonetheless be a goal, so hiring a good defensive mind would be 1a in this process and maintaining our defensive status quo has to be important. The assistants have to be competent in their position and within the unit in which they fall and did I mention that they have to be great recruiters? Special teams don't necessarily have to have their own HC, but whoever it is has to have the time and the priority of making this unit both sound and consistent.
  • Facilities and other such frills are important and nice, but until the process gets to where they will be remodeled or built to competitive standards (if ever), what will have to carry us is a program in place that wins the games they are supposed to, takes a few that they aren't, and is at least in the race year in and year out for the conference championship and in the conversation for the playoff and NC. the players want nice things, but i believe that they will come to a winning program even if it means sleeping on a cot. Mac has pretty much won most of what he should, but has fallen far short in beating better teams...and he seems satisfied. Not acceptable.
You can probably flesh this plan out even further, but in my mind, these three bullets are the most integral and of them, again, I believe the road to greatness begins and ends with the HC. It will take a combination of research, laying of a foundation, and more money than we currently spend to make the appropriate change. But if football is as important as I still think it is, we can't afford to not pony up and do the due diligence. We have glimpsed the future if we don't change our thinking and our process and it is unfathomable. Again, please add. I'm curious as to not only what others think, but what and who they would prioritize.

:chomp:
HC's perspective, AD's perspective or UP's perspective? They will all have different strategies, goal articulation, and tactical focuses.

If you are the UP, you are basically going to have to interpret what the BOR is going to hold you to.

If you are the AD, the UP is going to give you some requirements and constraints.

If the HC, the AD is going to give you some requirements and constraints...

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I would just hire strippers, buy kids cars and pay them under the table like everyone else is doing....voila, PLAYOFFS! Thank me later!

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
1. I would focus on finding the "next" coaching candidate, but I wouldn't fire McElwain until I knew who that was and had an agreement. I think he needs a year 3 to prove that he is definitely a failure. I know many won't like that statement, but it is the reality of the coaching world. You have to give somebody at least 3 years.

This is totally wrong. You don't need another year to know that Mac is a terrible coach. Putting the decision off won't make it easier. As Cover2 quoted Foley, "what should be done eventually should be done immediately."

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
From an X's and O's perspective, this regime isn't doing too bad. Last season I saw a plethora of plays that were there to be made, but for whatever reason, it never happened. My first move would be to replace the offensive coordinator. Not making plays when they are clearly there speaks directly to the OC not having the offense prepared.
Secondly, Mac needs to be trained on how to be CEO of a top tier program. No one cares that he's good at identifying lower tiered players and developing them. That's what you do at Colorado State. You're not winning "big boy" football like that. As CEO, Mac's focus should almost always be on recruiting. In my honest opinion, Mac hasn't done a great job of translating from coordinator to head coach. You HAVE to find hidden jewels at CSU. Florida will NEVER win recruiting 3*s. Our competition is too stiff.
I'll stop with those 2 because I don't believe it's that hard to fix this. Recruiting is everything in the SEC. Hire competent assistants to manage the day to day business so the head coach can spend more time building relationships. If everything was the same, but we were rolling in top 5 classes(which shouldn't be difficult at UF) the tone from the fanbase would be the polar opposite.
If you could somehow blend Muschamp's recruiting acumen and Mac's development and strategy you may have a functional head coach.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
explosionstadium.gif

Looks like the stadium renovations are ahead of schedule.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I'm sure if the money's right someone would be interested. Ironically Foley's efforts to try to save money will end up being very expensive in the long run if their going to pony up the cash to fix his mistakes.

So if I want Saban I can pay more than Bama? We can't pay more than others that was the point. Now if we had a connection with the coach similar or even less money might work.

I agree you can't just save money, but just spending it does not work for the head coach.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In all seriousness, I'd start by telling Foley that if he sets foot on campus again he'll be arrested.

Second, I'd double the budget for assistant coaches and tell Mac he's got to win 10 games and sign a top 5 class next year.

Third, I'd make an immediate investment in a facelift to our current facilities and accelerate the plans for the new ones.

I know it sounds like spending like a drunken sailor, but tv money has gone up by more than $20 million a year over the past 6 or 7 years and everyone else has been investing it in football and leaving us behind.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
In all seriousness, I'd start by telling Foley that if he sets foot on campus again he'll be arrested.

Second, I'd double the budget for assistant coaches and tell Mac he's got to win 10 games and sign a top 5 class next year.

Third, I'd make an immediate investment in a facelift to our current facilities and accelerate the plans for the new ones.

I know it sounds like spending like a drunken sailor, but tv money has gone up by more than $20 million a year over the past 6 or 7 years and everyone else has been investing it in football and leaving us behind.

Other than the arresting this is a pretty good idea. Foley needs to raise a lot of money for these sorts of things. I would like a larger type of staff like Bama and much better process than I have heard we have in managing recruits and perhaps players as well.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Other than the arresting this is a pretty good idea. Foley needs to raise a lot of money for these sorts of things. I would like a larger type of staff like Bama and much better process than I have heard we have in managing recruits and perhaps players as well.
Based on 2222s numbers we already have the money. We're 6th in revenue. We just spend it all on sports nobody cares about. We've gotten a huge windfall from the new TV deals just like everyone else, but our embarrassingly inept AD squandered it.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Based on 2222s numbers we already have the money. We're 6th in revenue. We just spend it all on sports nobody cares about. We've gotten a huge windfall from the new TV deals just like everyone else, but our embarrassingly inept AD squandered it.

Check the financial statements if we had the money already we would have zero debt and a massive cash position. And of course if nobody means zero your idea is incorrect. I care greatly about all of my fellow Gators, not just the big two.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
There is no big two. There is only one sport that produces the money.

Even at Kintucky.

I stand corrected, the big one. Do you root for all Gators or only football? Are you actually a graduate? Watch the SEC network for say volley ball?

Answer if you choose to or not, your choice.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My attention span is limited to Football, Basketball and Baseball, I'm sorry. :embarrassed:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'd really just like for us to hire two ace recruiters and for Trask or Franks to pan out next year

Shortcast

Lifetime Member
Aug 10, 2015
I'd really just like for us to hire two ace recruiters and for Trask or Franks to pan out next
year
Frankly if this happens...all this wailing and gnashing of teeth will go away. I still don't think we are that far off from where we want to be. If we are successful again this next year....the recruits will come. The lack of a quarterback has absolutely killed us. I still remember the feeling I got when Will started to get it....the Swamp was rocking.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
How about getting back to Atlanta as part of the rebuild, how about improving facilities as part of the rebuild. Mac has done both of these things so far in only two years. Muschamp really didn't do either in FOUR years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator