UPDATE: QB Malik Zaire officially a Gator

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
For Zaire, he's coming here (IF he's actually even coming here) to start. 2 things here, first, you want guys coming here believing they can start, that's just good motivation. Second, though, is that I believe he can honestly look at our depth chart and believe he can beat everyone out. For the coaches, however, insurance is never a bad thing.

I keep reading that. I think I said the same thing. But after looking at Zaire's career, there is no reason he should expect to start. He only has 98 career pass attempts. He's been a career backup. Choosing a school expecting to start is unrealistic. The best he can do is pick the school that provides the best chance to start. Is that UF? I don't know.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I keep reading that. I think I said the same thing. But after looking at Zaire's career, there is no reason he should expect to start. He only has 98 career pass attempts. He's been a career backup. Choosing a school expecting to start is unrealistic. The best he can do is pick the school that provides the best chance to start. Is that UF? I don't know.
I'm not sure "expecting" and "believing" is the same thing here.
What I'm saying is what you question at the end. He quite possibly believes he has the best chance to here, but we'll see if he even makes it here.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Or the one with a good education and lots of hot girls. Not everyone is thinking about playing in say the NFL, perhaps the experience and contacts from being a Gator would be a good thing long term. Perhaps I am thinking of a more mature attitude than any player actually has. If he wanted to start he could move down a level and find a school where he would be a lock to start.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just looking at the situations at the schools supposedly looking at Zaire we would appear to be on paper his best chance to start. Texas is going after him pretty good but their QB didn't play that bad when he came in and played last season. Baylor has a grad transfer already there with them fighting for the starting position with another QB there. Wisconsin has a QB that played a lot last season and the coach has already said he is the starter. So that leaves us with two RS freshman who have never taken a snap and LDR who showed he is a liability against SEC defenses. Which one would you pick if you wanted the better chance to start? Maybe not wanting to wait until later May for the rule change could make him go ahead and go to Texas but if he doesn't do that I think we get him if that rule is changed.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'm not sure "expecting" and "believing" is the same thing here.
What I'm saying is what you question at the end. He quite possibly believes he has the best chance to here, but we'll see if he even makes it here.

You're right. Expecting is probably the wrong word and Gator Fever is right. My guess is Zaire is waiting to see if the rule is changed. Based on what he has said about this, we are the best choice by far. I'd like to have him as the backup. I'd trust him more than Trask.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You're right. Expecting is probably the wrong word and Gator Fever is right. My guess is Zaire is waiting to see if the rule is changed. Based on what he has said about this, we are the best choice by far. I'd like to have him as the backup. I'd trust him more than Trask.
I think Trask has the physical attributes, however not the mental wherewithal to take it to the next level. Perhaps he will before his college career is over, perhaps not.

Quite honestly, I trust every single one of them over LDR, not even a question.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I hope Franks just owns it so this is all moot. When is the last time Trask actually started a real game? 7th-8th grade? Does anyone want him starting his first game in decade at Jerry's world?

I do not. It will be nice to see all the traskers disappear though.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hope Franks just owns it so this is all moot. When is the last time Trask actually started a real game? 7th-8th grade? Does anyone want him starting his first game in decade at Jerry's world?

I do not. It will be nice to see all the traskers disappear though.
You realize there are no real "Traskers" on this site right? :lol2:

People are only doing it because some posters hatred for a college kid they've never met.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
You realize there are no real "Traskers" on this site right? :lol2:

People are only doing it because some posters hatred for a college kid they've never met.

Either way, it will go away finally.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I gotta admit after watching this film against LSU, he's an intriguing athlete. The running ability is very reminiscent of Del Rio.

Don't want him real hard. But if he wants to run the scout team when we play QBs like him that would be fine.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
This guy's a read option QB. How's that gonna work with Doug Nussmeier? That's like putting a racing clutch in a Toyota Tacoma.
Nuss' offense isn't a Tacoma. Tacoma's are reliable and can get you places you want to be. His offense is like a donkey and a trailer.
I'm in the minority here I guess in thinking it couldn't hurt to add this guy. Watch his highlightsagainst LSU in whatever meaningless bowl. He's quick. A good offensive coordinator could figure out how to use him effectively. Problem is we don't have a good OC.
Somebody else said why don't we just use Toney? He's a true freshman. Zaire has real college game reps. I'm excited to see what Toney can do but he would probably benefit a bunch from redshirting.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I watched his highlight tape vs. LSU. I'll pass....nothing shows me that he'd do anything to elevate our current situation. Now the scout team, sure. We have openings there.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member

This may be true, but then you look at what our QB's have done...Why wouldn't he feel like he could compete here?

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Just looking at the situations at the schools supposedly looking at Zaire we would appear to be on paper his best chance to start. Texas is going after him pretty good but their QB didn't play that bad when he came in and played last season. Baylor has a grad transfer already there with them fighting for the starting position with another QB there. Wisconsin has a QB that played a lot last season and the coach has already said he is the starter. So that leaves us with two RS freshman who have never taken a snap and LDR who showed he is a liability against SEC defenses. Which one would you pick if you wanted the better chance to start? Maybe not wanting to wait until later May for the rule change could make him go ahead and go to Texas but if he doesn't do that I think we get him if that rule is changed.

And is not Baylor a dumpster fire in other ways?

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
This may be true, but then you look at what our QB's have done...Why wouldn't he feel like he could compete here?

Well perhaps because he has no experience with our system, coaches, players, and would be adapting to the SEC where the defenses are not like those he has very limited experience with. Just a few.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Well perhaps because he has no experience with our system, coaches, players, and would be adapting to the SEC where the defenses are not like those he has very limited experience with. Just a few.

Right. Yet they keep reaching out to "out of our system" guys...I wonder why that is?

Last edited:

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Right. Yet they they keep reaching out to "out of our system" guys...I wonder why that is?
Seems obvious to me that Mac's thinking as changed some. He seems to be going after guys with wheels. Now I don't think his "system" has changed but I do believe his "philosophy" on what he wants is a QB has changed. I listened to a podcast the other day and they were mentioning the QB's we've extended offers to for 2018. I can't remember the exact numbers but it was something like 10 offers out..... and only 2 of them were "prototypical" pocket passers. The others were more "dual threat" types.

In terms of philosphy though, they did mention that the "dual threat" types we offered were more "arm" than "leg". Anothers words, they were passers who could run. NOT runners who could throw a little...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb