UPDATE: QB Malik Zaire officially a Gator

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Good for you Jay, at the end of the day every school has your thugs and bad apples but every school also has good people who do right in this world and your speaking up for them. I respect that a lot!

:exactly:

Childish to think otherwise IMO

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good for you Jay, at the end of the day every school has your thugs and bad apples but every school also has good people who do right in this world and your speaking up for them. I respect that a lot!

:exactly:

Childish to think otherwise IMO

How cute...one closet null patting the other on the back.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Its Zaire time it appears. Mac said after watching practice that a QB could easily win the job just with the camp before the season started.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.onefootdown.com/2017/5/2...exas-longhorns-spring-meetings-irish-lacrosse

Malik Zaire, the one-time starting quarterback for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, seems in no rush to announce where he’ll pursue his graduate year.

The 22-year-old, who earned a Bachelor of Arts degree, is reportedly down to two teams: the Texas Longhorns and an undisclosed second team thought to be either the Florida Gators, Wisconsin Badgers or the Harvard Crimson.

Zaire told the Dayton Daily News Friday that he’s “just waiting for some things to finalize.”

I’ll echo the majority opinion and speculate the Kettering, Ohio product is waiting to see if the Southeastern Conference relaxes its graduate transfer rule during its spring meeting, which starts Thursday in Destin, Fla.

The Gators are forbidden from taking a graduate transfer for three years because two of their graduate football players from 2015 failed to meet academic requirements.

Those requirements, according to the SEC bylaws, are:

“To be eligible for any competition following the first full-time semester of enrollment at the certifying institution, the student-athlete must successfully complete at least nine (9) semester hours of graduate level academic coursework in his or her designated graduate program during that first full-time semester (which must all be completed with a passing grade accepted for credit in his or her designated graduate program)”

SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey told GatorBait.net that the rule would be re-evaluated.

“We put originally a five-year prohibition on taking more grad transfers because we wanted that accountability to be meaningful,” he said. “We’ve moved that to three, and actually in our office we had a number of conversations observing, first of all, no one else has that kind of accountability in their own system. We don’t want to be overly punitive in how we create that kind of accountability.”

It sounds as if the SEC has changed its mind about forcing its member universities to educate its graduate athletes if doing so creates an competitive disadvantage on the football field.

I don’t believe the standard — ensuring athletes pass nine credit hours worth of courses over the course of a single semester — was particularly onerous. It’s a shame they may relax it.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We shouldn't be punished for stuff other conferences aren't. My guess is the SEC will change the ban to 1 year for that.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We shouldn't be punished for stuff other conferences aren't. My guess is the SEC will change the ban to 1 year for that.
And my guess is he's definitely waiting on that ruling, and the reason the "2nd school" isn't really being named is because that 2nd school is UF, and the likely landing spot, or if the rule isn't changed, other school fills the slot.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Its Zaire time it appears. Mac said after watching practice that a QB could easily win the job just with the camp before the season started.

... Cannot believe an HC would "dump" on the QB-horse he has in the corral, relative to one running free that hasn't chosen our field. That is the opposite of "building" a young inexperienced QB -- unless Mac's had a sit-down with Franks such that Franks agrees that he could benefit from having a backup season to marinate more? Still, I don't believe Mac would announce that publicly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.