Zion Williamson terrorizing college basketball

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Duke is out-recruiting Kentucky. LOL

Rupp Rafters is full meltdown mode.

Those tears taste great.

Yep they are going nuts saying its a Duke-LeBron-Nike conspiracy or something like that.

Gatorfool

Sep 9, 2016
Duke is out-recruiting Kentucky. LOL

Rupp Rafters is full meltdown mode.

Those tears taste great.
This times ten, they had more post on rupp rafters losing this kid than they did losing to the gators, cheating Cal has to have all the best players or he caint win and cat fans know it, Duke signed the number 1-2-3 recruits in the nation, cat fans on suicide watch today.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Zion may end up being great but now Dukes class has a PG and 3 players who are all SFs. They will lose their starting 5 from this year and run with almost all freshman next year and really have no C unless they get another commit. Which at this point I'm not sure top bigs would given they probably won't touch the ball

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Zion is no Chris Walker. Walker could jump to the rafters but had little instinct for the game and lacked basic fundamentals. Zion has far greater strength and a more refined game. I think he’s going to be a good one.

What he is going to be is a one and done college player who will be forgotten in 14 months from now as everyone is talking about the next one and done player they will soon forget. He will have flaws in his game that he will or not refine out of his game in the NBA.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
What he is going to be is a one and done college player who will be forgotten in 14 months from now as everyone is talking about the next one and done player they will soon forget. He will have flaws in his game that he will or not refine out of his game in the NBA.

All 19 year olds in the NBA have flaws in their game. I think he will develop into a solid player. That he has some strength and not just finesse will help the transition imo.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good Lord that was one of the worst visiting teams I've ever seen. I faced far tougher competition playing at Hume back in the day.

8150855881_716572fc55_z.jpg

God I loved these courts - we played hundreds of games here, almost always at night. If you played here between 1992 and 1994, chances are we played together at some point.

Wow that team was dogshyt. The 12-year-olds that I coach are better than that.

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
Good Lord that was one of the worst visiting teams I've ever seen. I faced far tougher competition playing at Hume back in the day.

8150855881_716572fc55_z.jpg

God I loved these courts - we played hundreds of games here, almost always at night. If you played here between 1992 and 1994, chances are we played together at some point.

Oh my gosh, Ox. Chances are you played ball with my brother. He played on those courts A LOT his freshman year (1991-1992) almost always at night.

Small world. :-)

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
All 19 year olds in the NBA have flaws in their game. I think he will develop into a solid player. That he has some strength and not just finesse will help the transition imo.
I agree with your first statement. I am agnostic about your second as since these guys matter little in college basketball I basically ignore them unless they are coming to UF.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I agree with your first statement. I am agnostic about your second as since these guys matter little in college basketball I basically ignore them unless they are coming to UF.

Well I agree with you...I don’t pay too much attention to those going elsewhere. I’ve just seen this kid play and saw separation between his game and other one and dones in that he has greater strength and plays with power.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Zion is no Chris Walker. Walker could jump to the rafters but had little instinct for the game and lacked basic fundamentals. Zion has far greater strength and a more refined game. I think he’s going to be a good one.

But you left out the fact that Walker supplemented all of his flaws by possessing THE worst work ethic Billy had ever seen.
What a joke he was.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
But you left out the fact that Walker supplemented all of his flaws by possessing THE worst work ethic Billy had ever seen.
What a joke he was.

Ahh yes...that too!

He was an AAU prodigy where they rolled out the ball and said go dunk. That was pretty much his game.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I really really miss those days when I could watch college basketball that displayed the development of players, of teams improving year by year. I liked seeing again those players that were such good leaders the previous year. Each team, each player represented an adventure journey that all fans could take. There's none of that now; thanks to dollar-chasing college basketball (& other amateur sports)has lost it's better worth. We have lost a lot.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I really really miss those days when I could watch college basketball that displayed the development of players, of teams improving year by year. I liked seeing again those players that were such good leaders the previous year. Each team, each player represented an adventure journey that all fans could take. There's none of that now; thanks to dollar-chasing college basketball (& other amateur sports)has lost it's better worth. We have lost a lot.

There is no need for player development anymore. They typically attend college only long enough to confirm their draft position so they can get to the NBA.

If you have watched the NBA, which I stopped doing a few years ago, you will see that there is no need for player development at that level either. How much time does it take to teach a player to clear out and let a superstar get his shot?
Today's players can't wait to get away from this silly game in college where they are expected to run an offense and play defense.
How antiquated!!!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
There is no need for player development anymore. They typically attend college only long enough to confirm their draft position so they can get to the NBA.

Today's players can't wait to get away from this silly game in college where they are expected to run an offense and play defense.
How antiquated!!!

I think you are both right and wrong in your post.

1. I think you make the common error of thinking that NBA players do not play D. In my experience college scoring stars who do not make the NBA are often not athletic enough to guard anyone.

2. Player development of NBA prospects goes on in the NBA or G league. There is certainly a good argument that that is where it should take place. Many many NBA players come into the NBA as great athletes and develop other aspects of their game like shooting in the NBA.

3. While offense in the NBA is greatly based on finding a miss-match, isn't that really what is going on at all levels of basketball. It is ironic that you have this complaint during the era of the Warriors perhaps the greatest share the ball team in NBA history. Also another really good team now is the Celtics who are coached by a guy who is a defense and somewhat share the ball type guy. Certainly there are Harden and Westbrook dominated teams in the NBA, but every team knows they need more than one guy to win big and Ok City this season has built more of a team after one season of being Westbrook centric.

4. There is plenty of development in college basketball. That is why the one and done teams win the tourney so few times. It is sad that the reporters on college basketball spend all or much of their time on flawed young players who will be gone, but that does not mean fans can not observe the progress of players at good programs like UNC, UF, Nova, etc. More often than not the best teams in college basketball do not have a ton of one and done players.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Insti, I think our ecstatic reaction to our National Champ gators announcing all were coming back for another year illustrates what early departure subtracts from college basketball. Further, when a kid like Chiozza graduates, we regret it. It's the "loyalty-quality" towards everyone's alma mater that inspires us - certainly not the pursuit of the almighty dollar. Nothing bad about locking-in financial rewards, it just isn't any part of the excitement to the college fan, whereas continuity of excellence is = more to cheer about, more to be cheered about.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

If you have watched the NBA, which I stopped doing a few years ago, you will see that there is no need for player development at that level either. How much time does it take to teach a player to clear out and let a superstar get his shot?
How antiquated!!!

Actually the offenses they run in the NBA are significantly more sophisticated than what they run in college.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Insti, I think our ecstatic reaction to our National Champ gators announcing all were coming back for another year illustrates what early departure subtracts from college basketball. Further, when a kid like Chiozza graduates, we regret it. It's the "loyalty-quality" towards everyone's alma mater that inspires us - certainly not the pursuit of the almighty dollar. Nothing bad about locking-in financial rewards, it just isn't any part of the excitement to the college fan, whereas continuity of excellence is = more to cheer about, more to be cheered about.

Sure, and we still have plenty of those players at the vast majority of programs. Heck even Duke has a SR starters this year. Zona's leading and 3rd leading scorer are a JR and SR respectively. UNC's leading scorer is a JR who was not highly recruited who has greatly developed and their 2nd leading scorer is a SR.

I could go on and on, but the point is that teams still develop. A handful of players are one and done, but mostly you are seeing Patric Youngs, Scottie Wilbekins, Chris Chiozza, Casey Prather types.

As far as I am concerned, it is great that a few who have the talent or develop quickly can quickly go to the NBA. And they should go and get the money before something changes. But they are NOT college basketball, no matter what UK fans tell you. There is just a handful of players who can ever leave early and they have little impact on the sport because often they can not gel quickly enough unless they are mixed in with other players who have developed over a number of years.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Actually the offenses they run in the NBA are significantly more sophisticated than what they run in college.

If you say so.
As I said I don't really watch much anymore. The last time I watched the Rockets, all I saw was Harden shooting on nearly every possession.
Didn't seem very complicated so I must be missing a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb