Interesting stats week 9

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
From the athletic:

Alabama wide receiver DeVonta Smith has more yards than Mississippi State’s entire team in a 41-0 win.

Smith caught 11 passes for 203 yards and four touchdowns, becoming the first player in SEC history with multiple four-touchdown games. He also had five against Ole Miss last season. Mississippi State had 200 total yards.

Mike Leach was shut out for the first time in any college coaching role, head coach or assistant.

Leach’s previous low output was three weeks ago in Mississippi State’s 24-2 loss to Kentucky. The 200 yards on Saturday night tied his lowest output as a head coach. In the first quarter, Alabama averaged 8.7 yards per play and Mississippi State had no drive longer than 7 yards.

The Bulldogs scored 44 points in their opening win against LSU and have scored only 30 points total in the four games since. They did rush for 2.5 yards per carry against Alabama, improving upon their 1.5 average coming into the weekend.

(UGA let this guy transfer):
Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields has seven total touchdowns and seven incompletions through two games.

After finishing with one incompletion and three total touchdowns against Nebraska, Fields completed 28 of 34 passes for 318 yards and four touchdowns in a 38-25 win at Penn State.

From 2006-19, Ohio State had two games in which two receivers each had 100-plus receiving yards in the same game. It’s been done twice in two games in 2020 with Garrett Wilson and Chris Olave.

Mel Tucker became the second coach in Michigan State history to defeat Michigan in his first game in the rivalry, joining Nick Saban in 1995.

Jim Harbaugh is now 3-8 against rivals Michigan State and Ohio State, including 1-6 at home. He’s 29-0 at home against everyone else.

Auburn’s 48-11 win against LSU is the sixth-worst loss by a defending national champion.

It was Auburn’s largest-ever win against LSU. It included a 99-yard touchdown drive, the sixth in Auburn history. Three of those have come with Gus Malzahn as head coach.

Georgia has allowed only 27 second-half points this season, and 21 of those came against Alabama.

The Bulldogs pitched a second-half shutout in a 14-3 win against Kentucky.

The Wildcats posted 559 yards against Mississippi State earlier this year and have 822 total yards in the four games since then, including 229 against Georgia.

Ole Miss quarterback Matt Corral completed 19 consecutive passes and 31 of 34 total to tie the SEC completion percentage record of 91.2 percent in a win against Vanderbilt.

In a 54-21 win against Vanderbilt, Corral’s 19 consecutive completions broke Eli Manning’s record. The completion percentage record ties Tennessee’s Joshua Dobbs (minimum of 30 attempts). Corral had thrown eight interceptions in the previous two weeks but had none on Saturday.

The Rebels threw a school-record seven touchdown passes, including six from Corral. Their 641 yards of total offense were their second most in an SEC game (behind this year’s Alabama game), and the 35 first downs were one shy of the school record.

Maryland had a 300-yard passer and a 200-yard rusher for the first time in school history in a 45-44 overtime win against Minnesota.

Taulia Tagovailoa became the program’s first 300-yard passer since joining the Big Ten and the Big Ten’s third player in the past 20 years with 350 passing yards, three passing touchdowns and two rushing touchdowns, joining Dwayne Haskins (2018) and Zak Kustok (2001).

The Terps trailed by 17 points in the fourth quarter, making this their largest comeback that late in school history.

(Does this remind you of anyone?)
Virginia and Kentucky each had drives of at least nine minutes end in field goals.

That was good news for Virginia, which ran off 9:02 in the fourth quarter to push a lead from seven to 10 points in a win against North Carolina, and it proved to be the winning score. Kentucky’s drive lasted 10:28 and ended in its only score of the game in a 14-3 loss to Georgia.

Western Kentucky had a 20-play, 74-yard drive that took 10:06 but ended with zero points thanks to a goal-line stand by BYU. The Hilltoppers lost 41-10.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Georgia has allowed only 27 second-half points this season, and 21 of those came against Alabama.

The Bulldogs pitched a second-half shutout in a 14-3 win against Kentucky.

The Wildcats posted 559 yards against Mississippi State earlier this year and have 822 total yards in the four games since then, including 229 against Georgia.
In other words, it’s better get out to an early lead than to play catch-up. Who knew?

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Bet they’re ready to run Leach out of Starkville. What turnaround from the first game.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Bet they’re ready to run Leach out of Starkville. What turnaround from the first game.

Before the game, I saw the TV talking about a matchup of the best defense in the SEC vs the best offense in the SEC. I never thought I'd see the day where Leach was the 'best defense'.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
From the athletic:

Auburn’s 48-11 win against LSU is the sixth-worst loss by a defending national champion.

It was Auburn’s largest-ever win against LSU. It included a 99-yard touchdown drive, the sixth in Auburn history. Three of those have come with Gus Malzahn as head coach.

I would take a season like LSU had last year even if it meant going 5-5 the next year,

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I would take a season like LSU had last year even if it meant going 5-5 the next year,

I'm not sure. Seems to me like LSU is going to spiral into oblivion after this. Orgeron is probably gonna be fired by the end of next year, and they will have to rebuild. This season they are only slightly better than FSUcks.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I'm not sure. Seems to me like LSU is going to spiral into oblivion after this. Orgeron is probably gonna be fired by the end of next year, and they will have to rebuild. This season they are only slightly better than FSUcks.
Whatever his other faults, O is still bringing in good classes. If he does get fired at the end of next year, the next guy will inherit quite a bit of talent.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Whatever his other faults, O is still bringing in good classes. If he does get fired at the end of next year, the next guy will inherit quite a bit of talent.

a lot of LSU’s team has opted out.

he will only be at risk if they look like garbage next year. And then he’ll still get another year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator