Interview with Bull Gator

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I thought this was interesting. Especially the part about Muschamp and supporting him until he is no longer the coach... which is how some of us feel.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/interview-with-bull-gator/

Q. What does it take to be a Bull Gator for the University of Florida?
A. Mr. Bull Gator: “It really only takes a deep-seated love for the University of Florida and Gators football. Oh, and a pretty hefty yearly donation.”
Q. Why the deep-seated love for the Gators?
A. Mr. Bull Gator: “I attended Florida in the late 1980s. I walked on to play football during the Galen Hall days thinking I was a superior athlete. See, I had just recovered from blowing out my right shoulder and ending my baseball career. I thought I was still quite the athlete and when open tryouts were held in the spring there I was. Back then, we were on probation and had never really won anything. Not even a true SEC championship yet. Suffice it to say, making it as a walk-on was a hell of a lot easier than now.
“There I was when spring ball came around and I was certain this was for me. That is until a couple of weeks into it our safety, Louis Oliver, literally took my head off. (I was 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds then and I think he was 6-foot-3 and 230 pounds.)
“I was playing tight end and from what I’m told I ran a route across the middle. I vaguely recall the trainer and smelling salts. And so ended my illustrious football career. I wisely decided that chugging beer and chasing sorority girls was far more entertaining and far less dangerous. I never stopped cheering for my Gators though. I also met my wife there. We’ve been together for almost 25 years. I have a lot to thank the University of Florida. This is one of the ways I do it by supporting my team and my university.”
Q. How about coach Will Muschamp, do you and your fellow Bull Gators support him?
A. Mr. Bull Gator: “Personally, I like Muschamp. Let me say it to you this way, our program was left in a bit of shambles after the last coach left. Muschamp cleaned up those locker room problems. On the field, things haven’t been the greatest since 2012, but last year Florida had an unprecedented string of injuries that severely hamstrung this team. It was the perfect bad storm. This year we’ve had some bad bounces, but things are turning around. I am a Gator fan. Period. Muschamp is my coach until he isn’t the Gators’ coach. He has my support until Jeremy Foley decides otherwise.”
Q. What is the general feeling around Gator Nation about this season?
A. Mr. Bull Gator: “Well, again we’ve had some bad bounces. It was tough to watch a couple of these games particularly Mizzou. Gators fans were torn. I think most of the people I talk to like Muschamp as a coach and think he does things the right way, but it was hard watching things happen like they did in the Mizzou game. Fans were distraught. Treon Harris and the Georgia game turned that around though. Gator Nation is on a little high right now. Treon is an exciting player. There is a buzz about the program again.
Q. So tell me something. As a Bull Gator, what kind of access do you get? Any inside scoop about the team?
A. Mr. Bull Gator: “I have as much as access as you do and maybe less. That’s the truth. Just because you’re a donor doesn’t get you any level of access to the team or Jeremy Foley’s ear. The simple truth is it gets me great seats, a great parking and tailgate spot and a few other trinkets. That’s it. I know the thought is that Bull Gators control the program and that couldn’t be further from the truth. I’m sure there are a handful of big, big money boosters that might have Foley’s cell number, but they don’t influence his decisions either.”

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That guy is saying what Stumpy Harris said basically about turning things around since the Mizzou game etc. - More evidence Foley is probably going to retain Muschamp if we beat SC. Heck the sunshine pumpers on some other sites are even acting like Muschamp should stay if we have close losses to SC and FSU as long as the offense is doing good. Crazy stuff.

A few really big donors do have some real pull.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I have no doubt that a few big donors have some pull with Foley. If they threaten to take away their money they can have influence and Foley knows that.

If we lose to SC there is no way he stays.. IMO. I can possibly see him staying with a win vs. SC and close loss to FSU, but I really feel like he has to win out and beat FSU to stay.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I have good friends that are bull gators and they have been trying to sell me tickets for 2 years. They want champ gone too.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
jmskjrgator;n104338 said:
This bull gator is full of himself, if he is indeed a bull gator.

How is he full of himself. Donates money so he gets better seats. Supports the coach. Will support the next coach whenever that is.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This is the real truth....

“I have as much as access as you do and maybe less. That’s the truth. Just because you’re a donor doesn’t get you any level of access to the team or Jeremy Foley’s ear. The simple truth is it gets me great seats, a great parking and tailgate spot and a few other trinkets. That’s it. I know the thought is that Bull Gators control the program and that couldn’t be further from the truth. I’m sure there are a handful of big, big money boosters that might have Foley’s cell number, but they don’t influence his decisions either.”

The whole idea that high money boosters make behind the scene decisions at the athletic department is a joke that continues to be believed by way too many on this board. A couple buddies of mine are bull Gators as well as my sister and brother in law. They would tell you the same thing. It gets you perks and chances to rub shoulders with the mucky mucks on occasion but that's about it.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Decision making, eh. But influence.....hard to say that they don't. Doesn't surprise me that a BG would say that. But you can bet part of that booster $$$ that if they want their opinion heard, it will be done. We can call if "Bull Gator Speak" if you like. They may not "run" the program, they just heavily influence. It's run by the UAA, and where does that $$$ come from??? Just sayin'.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n104560 said:
This is the real truth....

“I have as much as access as you do and maybe less. That’s the truth. Just because you’re a donor doesn’t get you any level of access to the team or Jeremy Foley’s ear. The simple truth is it gets me great seats, a great parking and tailgate spot and a few other trinkets. That’s it. I know the thought is that Bull Gators control the program and that couldn’t be further from the truth. I’m sure there are a handful of big, big money boosters that might have Foley’s cell number, but they don’t influence his decisions either.”

The whole idea that high money boosters make behind the scene decisions at the athletic department is a joke that continues to be believed by way too many on this board. A couple buddies of mine are bull Gators as well as my sister and brother in law. They would tell you the same thing. It gets you perks and chances to rub shoulders with the mucky mucks on occasion but that's about it.

I agree. That said, I'm sure there are a few that could have some influence due to the amount they donate to the university, but what their views are and how much importance they place on football is anyone's guess.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Divits is right. The UAA's income portfolio is sufficiently diverse so as to negate the need for Foley to pander to any one source.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He may not have to pander to anyone but if the very select few are making it clear they feel a change needs to be made that is part of the equation. Heck they even trotted a couple of them out last season to try and cool things down. I think the problem for the fire Muschamp side is that most of the really big boosters just like Foley are willing to give him another season with a SC win and the we have our new QB now narrative .

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator