Is Anyone Tracking Flights Out of Gainesville

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter;n94188 said:
I don't believe anything will save WM. Stoops would be an awesome hire. I think he would like to get in on some of that SECTV. Peterson and Cutcliffe round out my top 3. I would include SOS if we could get a five year guarantee. I think he would come back for another title shot. I would go for Scott Frost at Oregon if we dip into the kindergarten ranks.

Scott frost is interesting because he's played and coached on both sides of the ball.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n94206]

You're one poster whose credibility I wouldn't question. Assuming this all to be accurate, Foley's brain dead if he doesn't immediately go online to check the UF bank balance and then (if necessary) go door to door with the rich boosters to raise the necessary cash to woo Stoops. You HAVE to try and hire this guy for so many reasons. [/QUOTE]
What my credibility bro?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concerning the money, a raise doesn't mean as much to these guys who are established. Think about some of the jobs you've had that you've liked. What would it have taken? $20k to get you to leave? So yeah, an extra million sounds like a lot to us, but let that sink in.....an extra million? They already have more money than they can spend a 1,000 times over.

I really don't think it'd take $6MM to get Stoops. I think he'd like the challenge....considering the cupboard is full. He obviously likes Florida because he has a place at Crescent Beach. But I think the key is how hands off will Foley be and guarantee. If Stoops comes here, Foley will have to keep his nose out for the most part.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't understand why you guys think a certain coach would come to Florida because they want a challenge. I'm not calling you out alcoholica, I've just heard this more than once. What makes you think these guys aren't challenged enough as it is? If a coach like stoops wanted a challenge he'd go to Kansas or smu. And to be clear Oklahoma could match any offer we made so I don't think Foley would jack up the price to 6 mil. The one and only reason I I think he would come here is maybe he feels he can upgrade his talent. I see this as possible raise bait

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I sure hope we can do better than Stoops. I like him and he has done well, but, I just don't believe he has what it takes to push Saban and the other top SEC coaches off the hill. What do I know, though! I actually thought Muschamp would get things going this year. Think I need to just let others deal with it and enjoy the ride - bumpy or smooth!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GIGator;n94888 said:
I sure hope we can do better than Stoops. I like him and he has done well, but, I just don't believe he has what it takes to push Saban and the other top SEC coaches off the hill. What do I know, though! I actually thought Muschamp would get things going this year. Think I need to just let others deal with it and enjoy the ride - bumpy or smooth!

I think he would do real good if he came here. I doubt he comes but I think there is a chance at least with the new challenge stuff and fans irritating him some there because its been 14 years since their Championship.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n94474 said:
I don't understand why you guys think a certain coach would come to Florida because they want a challenge. I'm not calling you out alcoholica, I've just heard this more than once. What makes you think these guys aren't challenged enough as it is? If a coach like stoops wanted a challenge he'd go to Kansas or smu. And to be clear Oklahoma could match any offer we made so I don't think Foley would jack up the price to 6 mil. The one and only reason I I think he would come here is maybe he feels he can upgrade his talent. I see this as possible raise bait

The "challenge" is that it's really not a challenge. We've had some lean years, but everyone knows that UF is a primo gig, because it will recruit itself. Even if we go completely down the toilet, we could still pull in 3 and 4* kids. So I say "challenge", because it is perceived as a challenge to get UF to a 10 win season. The reality is that we have enough talent to be a 10 win team tomorrow if the kids are properly motivated and put in the right situations for success. The whole "challenge" concept is really just a play off the coaches' egos. No one is going to realistically win at Kansas or some other places, but at UF? The "challenge" of making UF relevant is a real perception and very obtainable. If any of that makes any sense the way I said it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n94407 said:
I also don't know why he wasn't hired in 2010? What's changed since then other than we suck worse?
According to Foley, he didn't pursue Stoops in 2010. Muschamp was his first and only choice. From what I can remember, he really did say that.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n95202 said:
According to Foley, he didn't pursue Stoops in 2010. Muschamp was his first and only choice. From what I can remember, he really did say that.

I decided to look for that quote because I also remember him saying something like that and instead ran across this doozy from Foley when Muschamp was hired:
"I see a lot of the same things in Will that I saw in a young Bobby Stoops," Foley says decisively. "… Let me tell you something, this guy is ready to be a head coach. He is NOT a gamble."

And then this from the same article:
And what will become of Will Muschamp?

"I really believe he is going to be special," Foley says,

But only time will tell.

Check back in three years.

Only then will we know if this is a Stoops hire or a stupid hire.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...p-20101214_1_muschamp-jimbo-fisher-bob-stoops

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n95202 said:

Do you believe it? I remember reading we was close to hiring Peterson but Foley wouldn't meet his demands. And Dooley kind of hinted at muschamp was the it when muschamp was first hired.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n95210 said:
Do you believe it? I remember reading we was close to hiring Peterson but Foley wouldn't meet his demands. And Dooley kind of hinted at muschamp was the it when muschamp was first hired.
Yes, I personally believe Muschamp was Foley's #1 choice.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
G8RNGA;n95205 said:
I decided to look for that quote because I also remember him saying something like that and instead ran across this doozy from Foley when Muschamp was hired:

And then this from the same article:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...p-20101214_1_muschamp-jimbo-fisher-bob-stoops

Those are the types of comments and absolutes that got us this far into this mess. Foley approached the Zook hire with caution and, imo, with a sense of "this was the best case for us at the time". Mushcamp, on the other hand, was 100% his guy and he sold it to us like it was gold. There's no doubt in my mind that he truly believed that at the time as well.

There's nothing wrong with missing from time to time. But allowing pride to dictate your next move is only going to make matters worse.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
This guy has got a pair of you know whats. The more
I check him out the more I like him. It would cost to
get him but I think he is what we need. He knows
how to win with three star athletes.

I couldn't link the articles. Go to YouTube and
type in Mike Gundy. Watch both. He's got a pair
and he knows how to score points.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
jmskjrgator;n95217 said:

He isn't worth that kind of money.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n95202 said:

This is what I recall, too.

And for me, it made sense. Muschamp was the "it" coordinator and "HC in waiting" for the Teasips. You could argue getting him was a coup and even something of a no-brainer (absent the benefit of hindsight, of course). It was a swing for the fences and had it worked, we'd all be lauding Foley for his foresight and cleverness to pry him from UT. Instead, it turned out to be a colossal whiff. While I harbored concerns about his lack of HC experience, I liked the hire a lot (though his Humperness always bothered me and always will).

Zook, on the other hand, never made even an iota of sense to me. He was something of a nondescript career assistant coach that SOS had demoted that had done little to distinguish himself. And his tenure turned out better than Muschamp's. Go figure...

Foley is out of strikes. He really needs to nail the next hire.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n94407 said:
I'd love to get stoops but I'm not getting my hopes up . I think he could have a saban like impact here. I just don't see us spending that kind of money. I also don't know why he wasn't hired in 2010? What's changed since then other than we suck worse?

Gee I think Stoops likes where he is and they probably will meet or beat any money we might throw at him. Now if he wants a challenge (why would he?) he might come here. I don't see it.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
G 2;n95222 said:
Originally posted by jmskjrgator View Post

He isn't worth that kind of money.

Gundy is a helluva lot more likely than prying Stoopsy from OU.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbreath;n95230 said:
Gundy is a helluva lot more likely than prying Stoopsy from OU.

Not according to those in the know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator