Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
G 2;n95231 said:
Not according to those in the know.

Well, I am certainly not "in the know"....

Not sure who I'd be happier with, either. Stoops would be safer, but Gundy is an offensive guy who has enjoyed a lot of success with lesser recruits and coaching at a little brother school there in Okiehomee. Plus, we'd get to enjoy his periodic meltdowns on YouTube.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;95215 said:
G8RNGA;n95205 said:
I decided to look for that quote because I also remember him saying something like that and instead ran across this doozy from Foley when Muschamp was hired: And then this from the same article: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...p-20101214_1_muschamp-jimbo-fisher-bob-stoops
Those are the types of comments and absolutes that got us this far into this mess. Foley approached the Zook hire with caution and, imo, with a sense of "this was the best case for us at the time". Mushcamp, on the other hand, was 100% his guy and he sold it to us like it was gold. There's no doubt in my mind that he truly believed that at the time as well. There's nothing wrong with missing from time to time. But allowing pride to dictate your next move is only going to make matters worse.

"I really believe he is going to be special," Foley says, But only time will tell.

Check back in three years.

Only then will we know if this is a Stoops hire or a stupid hire.

I think we all know what kind of hire it ended up being.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gatorbreath;n95230 said:
Gundy is a helluva lot more likely than prying Stoopsy from OU.

That's not the case. Cheaper, probably. Although the last thing I'd want to do is get into a bidding war with TBP.

But there is no natural fit at UF for Gundy. He's a Cowboy, and basically a local hero. I don't see it.

Stoops has history here.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n95237 said:
That's not the case. Cheaper, probably. Although the last thing I'd want to do is get into a bidding war with TBP.

But there is no natural fit at UF for Gundy. He's a Cowboy, and basically a local hero. I don't see it.

Stoops has history here.

Yeah, Gundy has TBP's $$, and, he went to school there, but don't you think he gets tired of being in the shadow OU? Don't you think he'd wonder what he could do with our talent and recruiting base?

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n95237 said:

Stoops has history here.

History? Stoops' history here didn't mean crap when we went after him in 2002 and it won't mean crap now. Stoops history at OU at this point is >>> than his UF history.
If Stoops comes, it'll be about the money.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n95237 said:

Stoops has history here.

Stoops has very little history here. I think Gundy is more realistic simply because it's a huge step up. For stoops it's a lateral move. Tbp is a huge booster but that's been part of his issue they don't wanna pay assistants there.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Too lazy to read all the posts, but has anyone bothered to mention that Mike Stoops is coaching Kentucky? Would that been seen as an attraction or deterrent to older brother Bob?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n95215 said:
Foley approached the Zook hire with caution and, imo, with a sense of "this was the best case for us at the time".

Spurrier's resignation caught Foley completely flatfooted and forced him into a mad scramble. I recall thinking at either stop along his cross-country tour that Stoops or Shanahan were wooable, especially Shanahan, who apparently gave the offer serious attention. Had he snagged either of those guys then, he'd be looking a lot wiser today.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
G 2;n95252 said:
History? Stoops' history here didn't mean crap when we went after him in 2002 and it won't mean crap now. Stoops history at OU at this point is >>> than his UF history.

Better bring the dump truck then. Mrs. Stoops built a nearly 7 million dollar fortress in Oklahoma for them to live in. Gonna take a lot of pennies to get her away from that.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I Have No Friends :(;n95326 said:
Better bring the dump truck then. Mrs. Stoops built a nearly 7 million dollar fortress in Oklahoma for them to live in. Gonna take a lot of pennies to get her away from that.
Plenty of money to keep the house and go back whenever you please.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lol, mortgage rates are still low and the economy is improving. If the Stoops home was worth $7 MM, what's to say it isn't worth $7.5MM now? Non-issue. If Bob Stoops feels the time is right to coach in the SEC at a school he has history with, he'll go.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014

B.S. You can buy the entire state of Oklahoma for less than $7 mil.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Don't women always want a reason to move and redecorate?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
G 2;n95252 said:

Well, he'd just won it all a year earlier and had a solid 2001 team as well. Not the best time to come calling. I wasn't implying that Stoops had a ton of history here. Just that he did have some, while Gundy has none, and is currently at his alma mater. I agree fully that the money will be the deciding factor when and if he makes a move.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
[QUOTE='78;n95303]Too lazy to read all the posts, but has anyone bothered to mention that Mike Stoops is coaching Kentucky? Would that been seen as an attraction or deterrent to older brother Bob? [/QUOTE]

I doubt Mark is in Lexington for long. He's made an impression already and will have some offers soon.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Based on the Saban thread and what 3 million gets you in Alabama, I can only imagine what 7 million in Oklahoma looks like.

Probably gonna be tough to pull him away from that indoor ski resort.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's in the middle of nowhere, but it's nice. Is happiness buyable?

95480040.jpg

22648109_SA.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.