Is Le'Veon Bell worth $14.5 mill per year?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...h-long-term-deal-ahead-franchise-tag-deadline

The Pittsburgh Steelers and running back Le'Veon Bell failed to reach an agreement on a contract extension before Monday's 4 p.m. franchise tag deadline, and his agent says that means it is likely Bell's last season with the team.

"His intention was to retire as a Steeler," Adisa Bakari told ESPN's Adam Schefter. "But now that there's no deal, the practical reality is, this now likely will be Le'Veon's last season as a Steeler."

He refused $13.3 mill per year. No RB has made more than $10 mill per year since AD in 2011.

Is he worth it?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
no running back especially at this age is worth that... remember when Demarco Murray balked at the Cowboys not willing to go $8/year?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
That's exactly what those with their skin in the game prove he's worth.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
None of em are worth over $1 million per year, IMO. Let the good ones make more $$ on endorsements.
But I do like Bell - he’s a unique RB.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yes.

But that being said – no running back is worth a long-term contract. Just continue to franchise tag.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What about LaVar Ball? (Similar sound.) He's gotta be worth that much. He take take MJ or LeBron one-on-one in his prime.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
I'd pay him that for 4 years. RBs hit the wall at around 30. Look at adrian Peterson since 2015 ended:

1 one thousand yard season and 2 total TDs

Last edited:

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Le’Veon Bell is unbelievable. The guy is more than just a running back.

He is THE best running back in the league.

He is the most well conditioned player on the Steelers.

He is the 2nd best receiver on the team.

His presence alone allows AB to be that much more dominant as a receiver on play action passes.

He has one of the most unique and effective running styles I’ve ever seen. Some have tried, but no one has succeeded at emulating it.

Check the production over the past 3 years alone. He’s worth every penny and he should probably be the highest paid skill position player in the league.

It’s risky to pay a running back multi-year money, but he’s the exception to the rule. The Steelers will regret the decision to franchise him again.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
He averaged more yards from scrimmage than any other back in his first four years in NFL history. I'm not sure if he's worth what he wants because he's a RB. He's been really good for the steelers so far.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I used to watch pro football religiously. I knew all the players, all the stats and standings. Wouldn't miss a Monday night game of my life depended on it. And now I couldn't tell you who LeVion Bell is if my life depended on it. Weird how things and priorities change. Same thing with baseball.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
200w.webp

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Le’Veon Bell is unbelievable. The guy is more than just a running back.

He is THE best running back in the league.

He is the most well conditioned player on the Steelers.

He is the 2nd best receiver on the team.

His presence alone allows AB to be that much more dominant as a receiver on play action passes.

He has one of the most unique and effective running styles I’ve ever seen. Some have tried, but no one has succeeded at emulating it.

Check the production over the past 3 years alone. He’s worth every penny and he should probably be the highest paid skill position player in the league.

It’s risky to pay a running back multi-year money, but he’s the exception to the rule. The Steelers will regret the decision to franchise him again.

heversle, he is already franchised that is the point, they had until 4pm yesterday to work out a long term deal or he stays on the tag.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
I used to watch pro football religiously. I knew all the players, all the stats and standings. Wouldn't miss a Monday night game of my life depended on it. And now I couldn't tell you who LeVion Bell is if my life depended on it. Weird how things and priorities change. Same thing with baseball.

That’s me, except add the NBA to the list, too. I like college basketball, football, baseball, and even softball so much more and I’ve lost almost all interest in pro sports.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
He turned down 5 years and $70 million

If anyone pays him that on the open market they are morons. He's got three years max left after this year.

See ya.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
He turned down 5 years and $70 million

If anyone pays him that on the open market they are morons. He's got three years max left after this year.

This. He'll be 27 after next season and he has a lot of miles on him. If he wanted to make more money, he should have played another position.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A piece that people have to realize from the Steelers position, we are talking about a guy who has touched the ball 1415 times in a 5 year career (not including the times in high school or college). At what time does the body start to break down? That is an average of 283 touches a year, which includes the year he missed 10 games due to injuries and suspension (2 games). He is 27, with three strikes on the leagues drug policy, next one is a 10 game suspension (last suspension 2016). That is a lot asking of the Steelers to pay over 10% of their salary cap on a player who has issues with the drug policy and has a ton of mileage on his body.

They get another one year rental, then he is 28 with all those issues and probably another 400 touches/hits on that body. The question is do we pay him a long term 13-14/year or get 80-85% of the same production for $2 mill or less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator