Is March Madness in jeopardy?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I actually find this team kind of fun to watch. Frustrating at times, too, but for the most part I've enjoyed the fact that just about every game has been on TV this year. And I took the family to the Baylor game this past weekend and even the wife and kids had a great time.

Maybe I’m spoiled by the years of Matt Walsh, Anthony Roberson, Teddy Dupay, the 04s, David Lee, Jason Williams, Udonis Haslam, Casey Prather, Bradley Beal, etc...

And is there anybody even remotely on the horizon that Mike White is recruiting that is in the ballpark of those players?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
We are a 5 seed right now imo. Win 5 more games and we are in...easily imo. Get Egbunu or Stokes back and play much better winning games we may get a bump because the committee has to take into account the losses without them
Does Stokes even practice contact or non-contact? He looks fat as hell sitting on the bench. I don't get it but I just can't understand why we are heading into Feb and still not able to get a single minute out of Stokes or Johnson. I don't think either of them will see the floor the rest of the year. Egbunu will likely play at some point I have to believe, but who the hell knows.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I actually find this team kind of fun to watch. Frustrating at times, too, but for the most part I've enjoyed the fact that just about every game has been on TV this year. And I took the family to the Baylor game this past weekend and even the wife and kids had a great time.
We were pre-season top 10 and picked by several as a dark horse to win the whole thing. I still watch every minute of every game (on DVR since the games are about over by the time I get home from work) but to see this season as anything other than a disappointment at this point is pure sunshine.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think the team makes the tourney, but is out after the first weekend. They are not a sweet 16 team. Of course anything can happen, but I wouldn't bet on them making it past the first weekend.

This all changes if John gets healthy. His defensive presence and rebounding would be huge. It would change the game for this team, the question would be if they could adjust to playing with him.

My biggest worry with White right now is recruiting. He needs to get some size to go along with all the guards he is bringing in. He isn't going to succeed without a couple 6'10+ guys on the roster.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
It is possible, and we do have players with capabilities they just are not consistent and don't perform to their abilities.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe I’m spoiled by the years of Matt Walsh, Anthony Roberson, Teddy Dupay, the 04s, David Lee, Jason Williams, Udonis Haslam, Casey Prather, Bradley Beal, etc...

And is there anybody even remotely on the horizon that Mike White is recruiting that is in the ballpark of those players?
He's got a 5* and two 4*s signed in next years class.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Does Stokes even practice contact or non-contact? He looks fat as hell sitting on the bench. I don't get it but I just can't understand why we are heading into Feb and still not able to get a single minute out of Stokes or Johnson. I don't think either of them will see the floor the rest of the year. Egbunu will likely play at some point I have to believe, but who the hell knows.

Stokes isn't playing this year. He is not in shape.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Unfortunately, No.
I don't see an NBA player on the roster. Too early to evaluate a player in high school currently

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Oh yeah. How could I forget Mike Miller?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The SEC is strong enough and the national pool is weak enough, we'll easily make it in barring a 2-7 finish or something catastrophic like that. It's been a tough season playing with basically no inside presence, we've had Egor and Cheese posting up and playing defense on the blocks, FFS. :lol:

If Egbunu and Stokes aren't ready in the next week, I say shut them down and bring them back 100% in the fall.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
I won't view this season as a disappointment until I see what we do in the SEC and especially in the NCAA tournament. There have definitely been disappointing games. Clemson was disappointing, as was FSU and Loyola. If we go out early in either tournament, which is certainly a very real possibility, then, yes, I will see this season as a disappointment. But I've enjoyed watching them along the way, for the most part.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
The SEC is strong enough and the national pool is weak enough, we'll easily make it in barring a 2-7 finish or something catastrophic like that. It's been a tough season playing with basically no inside presence, we've had Egor and Cheese posting up and playing defense on the blocks, FFS.

If Egbunu and Stokes aren't ready in the next week, I say shut them down and bring them back 100% in the fall.
Egbunu will most likely not come back and we may still lose Hudson and Allen. And have a transfer or 2. Ore everyone's back and Egbunu gets a 6th year and we are the best team in the country next year. So many variables this offseason lol

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Stopping the love fest with the long ball would be nice. Banging in the paint is intimidating and sorely missed. But, I like passing, penetrating, attacking the rim then dishing for the stroke... probably in that order. Let’s just get to the tourney, strange runs and shooting streaks can happen... maybe for us too.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Egbunu will most likely not come back and we may still lose Hudson and Allen. And have a transfer or 2. Ore everyone's back and Egbunu gets a 6th year and we are the best team in the country next year. So many variables this offseason lol

Unfortunately, I believe you are correct.

One would think that Egbunu could get a medical red shirt and return next season but I assume he is ready for Europe.

I struggle with how Allen could leave given his poor season to this point but logic rarely comes into play when these guys decide to leave.

Although he has skills, I cannot see Hudson in the league either but due to his transfer from V-Tech he is probably antsy to get to Europe as well.

Just think if these three returned next year......................unfortunately, those days are gone.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Unfortunately, No.
I don't see an NBA player on the roster. Too early to evaluate a player in high school currently

This site:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2750370-2018-nba-draft-players-already-improving-their-stock

and many others disagree with you.

[URL='http://bleacherreport.com/users/1464022']JONATHAN WASSERMAN[/URL] said:
Jalen Hudson (Florida, SG, Junior)
6 OF 9

1. We see upperclassmen break out from nowhere onto the NBA radar every year. Kyle Kuzma, Derrick White, Semi Ojeleye and Wesley Iwundu were just a few last season.

Jalen Hudson has been the surprise veteran riser this season, considering he sat out in 2016-17 after transferring from Virginia Tech, where he averaged 8.4 points per game before arriving at Florida.

The draw to Hudson has been obvious, with the 6'6" 2-guard converting 43.5 percent of his 6.3 three-point attempts per game. He's been one of the country's top shooters, ranking in the 92nd percentile on catch-and-shoot jumpers and the 93rd percentile on jumpers off the dribble.

But we've also seen Hudson generate offense as a pick-and-roll ball-handler (1.263 PPP, 22.2 percent of offense), albeit mainly for himself.

He's been his best against Florida's toughest opponents, having gone for 35 points in a win over Gonzaga, 24 points in a tight loss to Duke and 17 points on eight shots in a win against Cincinnati. Hudson isn't a playmaker or passer, but his blend of tools, athleticism and elite shot-making is drawing attention.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
It is really hard for me to believe that the team that set the world on fire in Portland at the beginning of the season is the same one that looked so bad playing UGa and USCe. The inconsistency is hard to fathom and very disturbing. I hope they can find a measure of team chemistry before the tournaments begin.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
It is really hard for me to believe that the team that set the world on fire in Portland at the beginning of the season is the same one that looked so bad playing UGa and USCe. The inconsistency is hard to fathom and very disturbing. I hope they can find a measure of team chemistry before the tournaments begin.

I disagree. My view of this team in the SEC is that it has three road wins which is GREAT. It has one home win which is NOT GOOD. If UF goes back to winning SEC games at home and picks up another road win or two it would be a great SEC season. That would be a great SEC season any year and particularly this season when the SEC is pretty good.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thumbs up for the post and the new avatar. Your choice? or is it one that Ox handed down?
It’s a black guy, doubt Ox knows who he is. I’ve been a fan of Sowell for a long long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb