It was just a matter of time

How would you grade the Gators performance?

• B

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • C

Votes: 48 42.1%
  • D

Votes: 54 47.4%
  • F

Votes: 6 5.3%

• Total voters

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I’m the furthest thing from a sunshine pumper and I realize that you typically can’t have 3 turnovers and win the game, but if you can’t see the talent gap then maybe you’re the pumper. I’m not making any “lame excuses”, the team as a whole underperformed today and I’m not happy about it. I cursed at the TV. Numerous times. But had those miscues not happened there’s no guarantee that we win. Sure we have a better shot, but to say it like victory was inevitable if not for the turnovers is asinine. I’m sorry you lost money NV, really I am. That’s why I don’t gamble. Ox, I agree with you more often than not, but whether you want to see it as excuse making or not, the talent gap is there. Is it huge or impossible to overcome? No, but it’s there, it’s evident, and we all knew about it. Could we have won today? Absolutely! We would have had to play our best. Georgia didn’t play anywhere near their best and they still won.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
None of that shyt about guys drafted in 2008 and 2009 has anything to do w what we put on the field today.

Absurd.
Donkey, we had 5 drafted last year and 8 the year before. I know math isn't your forte, but that's 6.5 average the last 2 classes which is ABOVE our average for the last decade including guys drafted in 2008 and 2009.

Last 10 years we are number 4 with 55 players drafted, 5.5 a year, last 2 years 13:

Which programs have the most NFL draft picks in past 10 years?

Last 7 years we are number 3:

Which colleges produce most NFL Draft picks? Top programs since 2010

2017 Number 4
https://www.foxsports.com/college-f...lege-michigan-alabama-clemson-lsu-utah-042917

2018 opening rosters

Colleges most represented on 2018 NFL rosters | NCAA.com

In other words there has been no drop off and we continue to have 5-6 players taken every year no matter how many times you yell we have FIU talent.

This team isn't doing anything amazing other than beating teams we have more talent than, and losing to the first one with clearly more talent than us. We beat one with a little more talent and lost to one with a little less.

But getting these guys to at least play up to their own talent level is a major improvement.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Yet we STILL would have won if it wasn’t for the careless turnovers.

Been agreeing with you a lot lately but UGA's 2nd half drives were 72, 75, 0 and 66 yards. The turnovers did not help but the defense wasn't good enough. That drive at the end of the 1st half seemed to give their offense life. 75 yards in :48 seconds. Bad defense. It's a team loss.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you asked a casual football fan who wasn't familiar with ether team to sit down and watch that game, do you think they would have come away with the idea that UGA had an obviously more talented team on that field today?
Yes because we could not cover a tight end and safety support. That leads to conservative defense which Fromm is too good to give time.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This talent gap theory is garbage. We just beat a LSU team a few weeks ago that scrubbed Georgia. We went into starkville and got a W.
We kept giving them the damn ball! How many games are you going to win when you're minus 3or4 in the turnover margin? It was mostly self inflicted at that.
Franks is good for 2-3 fumbles per game. Always has been. There’s your talent.

Our lbs and safeties are good for 8-10 failures per game. There’s your talent.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Possibly true, but I have posted the numbers and we are 3rd behind Bama and USC in list of schools with most players drafted the last 10 years averaging 5.5 players a year. We actually were above that average over the last 2 years surprisingly. We are also way up there on the list of schools with the most players on 2018 opening day NFL rosters, so we have an earned reputation as a school that produces guys who are ready to produce at the next level.

I think there are a lot of talented players that will play in the NFL on this team, and they will get serious looks simply because they are coming from a proven NFL farm program.
Roster management or team completeness.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Donkey, we had 5 drafted last year and 8 the year before. I know math isn't your forte, but that's 6.5 average the last 2 classes which is ABOVE our average for the last decade including guys drafted in 2008 and 2009..
I know logic isnt your forte so I will help you out. Take a look at BMFs thread that had the numbers of projects on THIS roster for THIS year.

LAST years players dont matter. The year before doesnt matter. 2008 players dont matter.

What matters is what is on the roster now. And what is on the roster now is one slow middle linebacker and a bunch of FIU trash. You saw that as they completed passes to Nauta at will.

We have a few good DBs but also FIU crap like McWilliams, Stiner and Taylor back there getting destroyed at will also. Every OC we play will have those numbers circled.

We have about two dozen total of those projects. Never in my life have we stolen trash sunbelt players in lieu because we were too lazy to recruit. I dont think weve ever done that in the history of the program.

Coaching wil help EJ get ready to take over from Franks, but isnt going to make Big Fred or McWilliams a Div 1 player.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Three turnovers vs Vandy and we won. Three turnovers vs the dawgs is tough to overcome. This may be obvious, but if we dont have those turnovers it's a different ball game. It's amazing to think Mullen took this depleted roster and made them into a competent team...well more competent than the last 2 coaches at least.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
6 plays from the 1 with only 3 points by UGA.

I was concerned UGA would come to play after LSU.

And you can't turn the ball over 3X against a team like UGA

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
The talent difference showed mostly with our two best corner backs not playing, even one might have made a difference. They did not quit, they ran the ball pretty well, and where they had great success it was blown coverages, perhaps due to having different players out there.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
It was just a matter of time before the talent gap reared it’s ugly head. It did today. The thing is, even though it was a tough pill to swallow, this game leaves me encouraged for the future.

The horrid recruiting in recent years is just too much to overcome, yet we are still very competitive. That speaks volumes about coach Mullen and our future once we get better players across the board and the needed depth to boot.

I’m not going to speak about this player or that player and their strengths or weaknesses, I’m sure that will be covered here plenty. I’m proud of the players and coaches and know a bright future lay ahead.
Don't think it's a talent gap at all...just a numbers/depth gap. Our Dline, linebackers, oline (getting better), RB, WR, (starting DBs) are all better than pretty much every team we play...our QB and depth/quality depth is lacking

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I know logic isnt your forte so I will help you out. Take a look at BMFs thread that had the numbers of projects on THIS roster for THIS year.

LAST years players dont matter. The year before doesnt matter. 2008 players dont matter.

What matters is what is on the roster now. And what is on the roster now is one slow middle linebacker and a bunch of FIU trash. You saw that as they completed passes to Nauta at will.

We have a few good DBs but also FIU crap like McWilliams, Stiner and Taylor back there getting destroyed at will also. Every OC we play will have those numbers circled.

We have about two dozen total of those projects. Never in my life have we stolen trash sunbelt players in lieu because we were too lazy to recruit. I dont think weve ever done that in the history of the program.

Coaching wil help EJ get ready to take over from Franks, but isnt going to make Big Fred or McWilliams a Div 1 player.
We have had a bunch of slow middle LB. They all seem to find a place in the league. McWilliams wasn't supposed to be in that position but injuries happen. This team might not be the most talented, but it's still more talented than most of our opponents. And just like every year, we will be well represented at the draft, depending on how many Juniors declare.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

I hate to agree with the lesbionkey, but if you go back as far as class rankings are available, the past 4 years in total are the worst 4 consecutive years ever at UF, combined. Is there some NFL talent in those classes? Absolutely, but this is a TEAM game, and recruiting is about the whole class. Having a couple of future NFL players lined up with a bunch of 3 stars...you will lose games just like this one.

This is the least talented TEAM UF has ever fielded...per the rankings. That’s not disputable. A less talented team needs to play perfectly, and get a few bounces to go their way, and be better prepared and coached. We didn’t play perfectly - we could (maybe even should) have been up 2 scores in the first half - but more mistakes in the 2nd half allowed their talent advantage to take over.

I felt we played better than our talent. That gives me hope.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Really though:
The TOs gave them short field scores and erased our clock-times to drive and gain confidence.
Our QB had too many overthrows + throws behind + throws into dirt to build team confidence.
Their simplest pass plays routed our pass defense - same repeat TE pass sustained TD drives.
Thus, one area of bad teamwork undermined another area of good teamwork.
We played clumsilly. :mad:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I hate to agree with the lesbionkey, but if you go back as far as class rankings are available, the past 4 years in total are the worst 4 consecutive years ever at UF, combined.
Never in my life and I'm sure never in history were we relegated to taking Sunbelt players. Every now and then we'd take a commit from Kintucky, Indiana, Vandy, Wake, Gamecucks, or whomever, but we NEVER were forced to steal Sunbelt commits.

We have 2-3 dozen now.

I don't know where some of you have been.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
We have had a bunch of slow middle LB. They all seem to find a place in the league. McWilliams wasn't supposed to be in that position but injuries happen. This team might not be the most talented, but it's still more talented than most of our opponents. And just like every year, we will be well represented at the draft, depending on how many Juniors declare.
This post is from last Sunday. There has to be a statute of limitations on a facepalm Donk. Statutes and limitations (especially in the bedroom) are two things you should be very familiar with.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's a felonious post. I have 5 years.

Even a misdemeanor post has a 1 year SOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb