It's all about the QB

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n79832 said:
We are assuming that a guy who is 4-6 in his college career is all the sudden going to make us marketly better. Now I do feel the Offense at Tennesse had more life when he came in. But at the same time it was at Tennesse and Driskel was being pretty god awful. But take away his two touchdowns against the highschool team, he is 2-4 for 17 yards. One of his passes would have been a pick 6 against Alabama or LSU. That being said I beleive Harris deserves a shot, I just think we are fooling ourselves if the thought is the product is going to be marketly better.

At the end of the day, Treon is a true freshman and bound to make some mistakes and perhaps even be a bit behind on learning the offense and making the right reads, etc. He is a kid after all and one that lost a critical week of reps and game experience last week.

I think your position, though logical, drastically underestimates how awful JD is and how much our coaching staff has to coach around him.

I guess we'll see in the coming weeks.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbreath;n79838 said:
[/B]

At the end of the day, Treon is a true freshman and bound to make some mistakes and perhaps even be a bit behind on learning the offense and making the right reads, etc. He is a kid after all and one that lost a critical week of reps and game experience last week.

I think your position, though logical, drastically underestimates how awful JD is and how much our coaching staff has to coach around him.

I guess we'll see in the coming weeks.

I think Driskel is awful, but I also don't trust all but two of our recievers and its obvious now only one running back knows the pass protections. I was glad to see Powell who appears to be a difference maker, but we are far from a complete team. Harris will give us some life, but other than that I think whom ever is the next coach is going to have to do a rebuild of the roster.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This much is on the HC:

When confronted with a not-good-enough starting QB, a good HC gives real consideration, encouragement, and 1st team
practice with several QBs. That's how the best performer is discovered & developed. Dealing with youngsters who can
get inspired, there's always an element of chance of one "clicking" into the "it" of being a leader-winner.

Muschamp knows nothing about giving trials to other players, nothing about encouraging or seeing that they get development progress … and so we've gotten years of zero progress. Only one QB has been tried … without
being a leader-winner.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Treon was 2/4 for 17 yards the last time he played. Not exactly a stellar stat line. It does not matter who starts or who plays when. It's coaching.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gatorbreath;n79804 said:
The OP is spot on.

Leave aside for a moment that CWM has had ample time to recruit for the position and that wins and losses are ultimately his responsibility; despite all of our best efforts to give the game away last Saturday, we'd have beaten LSU were it not for JD. Merely slightly better QB play and not turning the ball over as much would have won the game for us. And yes, it all wasn't JD's fault, but the Westbrook drop and all of the other gems fall into the "all our best efforts to give them the game" category. Slightly better QB play wins the game. Period.

Consider how handicapped this team is with JD at QB. Likely Roper can only use a fraction of his playbook for fear of a stupid throw into coverage or some other mistake or turnover; we hamstring our passing game making our offense one dimensional. We have to gameplan around our own QB as much as the opponent's defenses. Consider how that impacts the other phases of the game - especially the defense.

Yes, Muschamp is responsible for the whole mess - but I really believe we'll see things improve instantly once JD is out of the picture. The kid just doesn't have it.

You could just as easily make an argument that without a few bad angles by their PR defenders, we're not even in the game at that point. Or you could argue that if we started a real TE, we may have won the game. Or you could argue that if we don't give up a 3rd and 25(following a timeout), we probably win.The again, we'd have given up a first down there anyway because our ultra-disciplined defensive players got a personal foul. But again, you could make plenty of arguments. Putting that game all on Driskel is absurd. Not putting it on the guy who's had us fumbling through life for the past 4 years, is mind boggling.

How about we look at it this way. In 2004, If Corey Bailey takes the right angle on the deep pass against Lsu, we win that one. If Baker doesn't lose his cool, we win in Knoxville. If we find a way to tackle at Msu and/or Leak doesn't throw that untimely INT, we're victorious there as well. But the simple fact is, we didn't do all those things(or did) and we registered losses, and it was ultimately determined that a change at the top was in order. And that was Zook's 3rd year, where WM is midway through his 4th. If it was coaching then, it's coaching now. You can only blame the players so long.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n79860 said:
You could just as easily make an argument that without a few bad angles by their PR defenders, we're not even in the game at that point. Or you could argue that if we started a real TE, we may have won the game. Or you could argue that if we don't give up a 3rd and 25(following a timeout), we probably win.The again, we'd have given up a first down there anyway because our ultra-disciplined defensive players got a personal foul. But again, you could make plenty of arguments. Putting that game all on Driskel is absurd. Not putting it on the guy who's had us fumbling through life for the past 4 years, is mind boggling.

How about we look at it this way. In 2004, If Corey Bailey takes the right angle on the deep pass against Lsu, we win that one. If Baker doesn't lose his cool, we win in Knoxville. If we find a way to tackle at Msu and/or Leak doesn't throw that untimely INT, we're victorious there as well. But the simple fact is, we didn't do all those things(or did) and we registered losses, which ultimately indicated we were not heading in the right direction. And that was Zook's 3rd year, where WM is midway through his 4th. If it was coaching then, it's coaching now. You can only blame the players so long.

Man, you seem to miss the point of this thread, and then my posts.

In no way am I giving Muschamp a pass for the past 4 years for every friggin plague he's brought upon us. He bears responsibility for the entirety of this train wreck. Period. Including not recruiting or developing quarterbacks.

Simply put, QB is by far the most important position on the field. Not cornerback - even ones that "don't communicate", not the tight end with butterfingers, or the wide receivers that can't catch AIDS in Thai whorehouses, or running backs that apparently can't master blocking schemes - it's the damned quarterback.

If Driskel doesn't throw that damned pick, we win. Or turn the ball over 3 times. Or allow our newly minted, "genius at his last stop coaching eggheads" OC to use more than 5% of his playbook. Or run his fast-paced offense....

Yes, Muschamp is the problem but for now, he isn't going anywhere. My point was, changing QBs might have a very big and positive impact on this team - more so than correcting any of the myriad of other problems.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gatorbreath;n79886 said:
Man, you seem to miss the point of this thread, and then my posts.

In no way am I giving Muschamp a pass for the past 4 years for every friggin plague he's brought upon us. He bears responsibility the the entirety of this train wreck. Period. Including not recruiting or developing quarterbacks.

Simply put, QB is by far the most important position on the field. Not cornerback - even ones that "don't communicate", not the tight end with butterfingers, or the wide receivers that can't catch AIDS in Thai whorehouses, or running backs that apparently can't master blocking schemes - it's the damned quarterback.

If Driskel doesn't throw that damned pick, we win. Or turn the ball over 3 times. Or allow our newly minted, "genius at his last stop coaching eggheads" OC to use more than 5% of his playbook. Or run his fast-paced offense....

Yes, Muschamp is the problem but for now, he isn't going anywhere. My point was, changing QBs might have a very big and positive impact on this team - more so than correcting any of the myriad of other problems.

My apologies. Was meant to be a general post, and quoted you by mistake.

That said, it's not that I miss the point of the thread, but rather that I simply disagree with it. Like Douglas, I think the problems run so much deeper than QB. As sort of a case-in-point moment, while I agree that there exists more than enough reason for JD to be replaced, the head coach doesn't. That tells me that regardless of who's under center, the guy in charge, who will be making all other critical decisions, is clueless.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n79814 said:
Slightly better Defensive Back play, we win that game. Better linebacker play we win that game. When the crowd can tell you the opponent is going to run and to which sign and the linebacker is still going the wrong way, there is an issue. Better reciever play, we win that game. What is the handicap the recievers make by dropping balls (4 Saturday Night, 22 overall). This team is an overall cluster, and just changing the qb isn't be a cure all.
Don't you dare put this on our defense. They play more minutes of football in one game than the O does in 3. How about this novel idea, our offense should score points, heck I would take FGs right now, it's a miracle when they get us that close to try one, usually it's off our D turning one over. I now hold champ responsible cause JD is the handicap. We need to at least go down fighting. Right now we just send out a baby deal each week under center

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Of course you need a good QB, especially in this day and age of offenses. Sticking with Driskel is just mind numbing. I'm ready to see what ANY of the other QBs can do....even the walk-ons. Literally, it CANNOT get any worse. It can't! It's as bad as any QB play anywhere in the country.

ufgator812;n79853 said:
Treon was 2/4 for 17 yards the last time he played. Not exactly a stellar stat line. It does not matter who starts or who plays when. It's coaching.

Not really fair to Treon. If he had come in late 2nd quarter or started the 2nd half we would have seen what he can do. We got the lead and did the right thing; ran the clock out.

I'm ready to see what he can do. Other than being short (for a QB), he seems to have the ability to give us a significant upgrade.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Another way to look at it is that Treon has been in for four series and scored on every one. (I'm discounting the last ones at EMU in which he was forced to do nothing but handoff and run out the clock.)

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Remember Bobby Sabelhaus, top rated QB coming out of high school. Never even saw the field because we had a coach that could see that the guy didn't have "it". It seems we have a coach in place now that has no eye for who has "it". Not surprising because he doesn't have "it" either.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n79904 said:
My apologies. Was meant to be a general post, and quoted you by mistake.

That said, it's not that I miss the point of the thread, but rather that I simply disagree with it. Like Douglas, I think the problems run so much deeper than QB. As sort of a case-in-point moment, while I agree that there exists more than enough reason for JD to be replaced, the head coach doesn't. That tells me that regardless of who's under center, the guy in charge, who will be making all other critical decisions, is clueless.

Actually you are missing the point of the threa. The point is that while problems do run deeper than QB and coaching is part of it... if you don't hit on your QB you cannot and will not win.

Even the best coaching can't fix everything and we have missed on every QB we have recruited (Meyer and Muschamp) since Tebow.

We know Jeff is a miss... let's see if Treon is a hit. He needs a chance.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Floridagator;n80009 said:
Don't you dare put this on our defense. They play more minutes of football in one game than the O does in 3. How about this novel idea, our offense should score points, heck I would take FGs right now, it's a miracle when they get us that close to try one, usually it's off our D turning one over. I now hold champ responsible cause JD is the handicap. We need to at least go down fighting. Right now we just send out a baby deal each week under center

I'm assuming this is sarcasism. Because if not, a Defensive Head Coach, with the talent we have. Shouldn't allow two plays of 3 and 20+ make first downs at critical moments. The linebackers should know what everyone at the stadium and at home knew, that LSU was running to the left side, and therefore our Left OLB shouldn't be running to the right side of the formation. The defense did have that grand total of 0 turnovers against LSU. And when they did line up when they were supposed to they played well, key word "when". As far as the defense being on the field the offense has won time of possession in 3 of the 5 games we have played. So what are you excuses for the break downs on those games?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n80046 said:
Another way to look at it is that Treon has been in for four series and scored on every one. (I'm discounting the last ones at EMU in which he was forced to do nothing but handoff and run out the clock.)

four out of 5 we punted on Harris's last drive at Tennesse.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'd rather watch a Freshman's growth opportunities then continue witnessing an upperclassman's bad habits.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
ATXGator;n80249 said:
Actually you are missing the point of the threa. The point is that while problems do run deeper than QB and coaching is part of it... if you don't hit on your QB you cannot and will not win.

Even the best coaching can't fix everything and we have missed on every QB we have recruited (Meyer and Muschamp) since Tebow.

We know Jeff is a miss... let's see if Treon is a hit. He needs a chance.

I'm not. I fully get your position. We're not as far apart as it may seem on this. The signature difference is that I think you could put Tebow in this offensive philosophy and current culture and he'd be considerably less than what we know him as. And at the same time, I think you could put Driskel in a different offensive philosophy and culture, and he'd be better than what we've seen.

To be clear, I'm all in on Harris. And I'd gladly welcome the idea of being wrong. I just don't think he'll be that much of a change because of who's roaming the sidelines. Worth a shot though, and again, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Floridagator;n80009 said:
How about this novel idea, our offense should score points, heck I would take FGs right now, it's a miracle when they get us that close to try one,

I celebrate every 1st down like it's a touchdown. THIS is what Gator football has been reduced to these days.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorStud;n80377 said:
I'd rather watch a Freshman's growth opportunities then continue witnessing an upperclassman's bad habits.

Yep, yep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator