It's not the coach

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This thread is an epic fail!

It IS "the coaches".

This ******* needs to go. Too bad we have another year of this dog sh*t.

g8torfan

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
I have heard a lot of people criticize the offensive play calling. However, I think that maybe some people simply look at a play that didn't work and think it was a bad play call.

If a pass play is called and the receiver is open but the QB doesn't get him the ball, is that a bad play call?
There's a difference between poor play calling and poor execution.

I've made a few gifs to help point out the difference.

For example, this is a pass play from the first drive of the FSU game.

g58pzr.gif

The Gators line up in a tight formation with two tight ends both on the left side of the line. Goolsby runs a quick route across the middle and takes a linebacker with him. Lewis runs straight downfield and takes the safety with him. Right guard Fred Johnson gets beaten badly and the FSU rush gets to Appleby pretty quickly. Somehow Appleby manages to get off a perfect pass and hits Perine in stride. The linebacker has to come back across the field to push Perine out of bounds after a big gain.

That was a beautifully drawn up play and it was executed perfectly. The misdirection made FSU think run, the routes cleared out room for Perine, the blocks held just long enough and the QB delivered a perfect pass.

Everyone can agree that was a great play call.

Then we have a play that didn't work.

BgOr3Q.gif

Here's the same play from a different angle

2R28KM.gif

This is the 4th down play that failed to get a TD. Goolsby lines up on the line of scrimmage split out on the right side. The two receivers lined up behind him both run short routes and pull the defense up towards the line of scrimmage. This gives Goolsby a one on one matchup. Goolsby gets by the defender and is open if the ball is thrown in front of him. However, Scarlett's assignment was to block in pass protection. He gives up on his assignment too soon and runs out as a receiver. Scarlett never notices the blitzing DB. Appleby has to get rid of the ball under pressure and throws a bad pass.

If Scarlett carries out his assignment and blocks the blitzing DB then that play is a touchdown and a great play call. However, Scarlett missing his assignment doesn't make it a bad play call. It was just poorly executed.

That's what happens when you are forced to play freshmen and sophomores. They sometimes miss assignments due to lack of experience. Earlier in the season lots of people were griping that we should be playing Scarlett more. This is exactly why the coaches were giving the other guys opportunities. Scarlett has not been a good pass blocker. I'm sure watching this play in the film room will help him grow and mature as a player, but it comes at the expense of a TD in the FSU game. That is the price of youth and inexperience.
Posted by CGgater via SEC Country, https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...alls-out-offensive-coordinator-doug-nussmeier

Florida ranked 13th in the SEC in total offense this year, with only South Carolina having worse per game numbers.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Lack of improvement, lack of player development, poor recruiting, 4 embarrassing blowout losses, poor player conditioning as evidenced by the overwhelming number of injuries, clueless. Oh nooooo. Not the coach's fault. Did I mention clueless?

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I do think that Mac is a good coach. I also think Mac has recruited well given the state of the program when he arrived. That's not the same as thinking he has done well in recruiting. I acknowledge that we need top 5 classes if we are going to compete for championships on a consistent basis.

I think Mac will show significant progress when he has a talented and capable QB. At the current time, none of us know if that is going to occur next year. Hopefully a transfer or one of the 2 redshirts will have a break out season. It's also possible that one of the redshirts is the answer, but next season will be a learning experience much like Eason had this season. I simply don't know.

If the QB situation doesn't stabilize, but Mac wins 8 or 9 games then I think he gets another year. If the QB situation doesn't stabilize and the wheels fall off then he may be gone. None of us have any idea what the new AD will do.

What if the QB situation stabilizes and the offense comes to life but we lose 4 shootouts? Then what? The offense is fixed, but we lost 4 games.

Too many unknowns.

I might have missed it. But what would you have to see for you to actually blame the coach?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Good coach? He stinks out loud. Winning the East is meaningless. The worst East of all-time. (golf clap)

Would you be happier if we *didn't* win the East, as bad it as it is? Actually, don't answer, I'm certain you'd be ecstatic to be last in the East.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Would you be happier if we *didn't* win the East, as bad it as it is? Actually, don't answer, I'm certain you'd be ecstatic to be last in the East.

Stupid comment. Not even sure why I am responding. I gave a golf clap. Sec East Champs=the honor of getting ass raped by Bammer and looking like trash on national TV so recruits can decommit

GTFO!

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Stupid comment. Not even sure why I am responding.

Unoriginal comment given what you've said over and over for the past several months. Not sure why you are even posting.

I'm not saying winning the East is on par with being a Champion at Life. I'm just saying you're still the same miserable SOB you've been all season.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Unoriginal comment given what you've said over and over for the past several months. Not sure why you are even posting.

I'm not saying winning the East is on par with being a Champion at Life. I'm just saying you're still the same miserable SOB you've been all season.

Except now I am right. I was right all along. I f ing told you so. Now get lost.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
No, I turned chicken **** with a dislike and ran away leaving no post for him to dislike....I expect one on this post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.