I've decided now who I WANT

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Strong would never do that to texas. We missed that boat and I think he would have CLEANED up in recruiting. Always liked him. Foley screwed the pooch on that one. Common theme...Foley screwing the pooch.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So how is Strong a great candidate? He coached against a depleted AAC conference and still only managed one BCS bowl. He managed to do what Petrino did when Petrino was playing against better competition. His resume really isn't any better than some of the also rans that have already been mentioned. Strong is one of the top 3 defensive coordinators to coach at Florida, but what has he proven as a Head Coach. He could take a team with a decently successful history in the last decade and make it decently successful. He could beat Muschamp in a BCS bowl game where half the players for Florida were thinking about the NFL (players were declaring before Louisville did the post game interviews). We want another defensive minded coach with a limited head coaching history, and we think that he is the answer?

This is all moot being that Strong has too much integrity to leave his current position after one year, similar to what happened in 2010.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
:facepalm: Don't we already have a thread discussing possible coach hires? I believe it's on it's 3rd incarnation already. Guess it was just too hot of a thread to interrupt with this fantasy wish?

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Strong is making 5M a year at Texas guranteed for 5 years. No way are we paying that as a starting salary unless it is Harbaugh or C. Kelly, neither of which I am hoping for, not that they are not deserving. Other names who I have no interest in are Freeze, Mullen, Rich Rod, Gundy, Holgerson, Dykes, etc. etc. etc. I am not saying they are candidates. All of these types are nothing more than glorified high school coaches in my opinion. I want a Head Football Coach who is a complete program and game manager!. All these new fangled glorified high school coaches are strictly one dimensional and by far their weakest link is game management, which is on display every Saturday if you watch any football.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
TheDouglas78;n111370 said:
So how is Strong a great candidate? He coached against a depleted AAC conference and still only managed one BCS bowl. He managed to do what Petrino did when Petrino was playing against better competition. His resume really isn't any better than some of the also rans that have already been mentioned. Strong is one of the top 3 defensive coordinators to coach at Florida, but what has he proven as a Head Coach. He could take a team with a decently successful history in the last decade and make it decently successful. He could beat Muschamp in a BCS bowl game where half the players for Florida were thinking about the NFL (players were declaring before Louisville did the post game interviews). We want another defensive minded coach with a limited head coaching history, and we think that he is the answer?

This is all moot being that Strong has too much integrity to leave his current position after one year, similar to what happened in 2010.

So you would protest Strongs return? I think there are better hires out there but I think Charlie would be a solid hire.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
gatormandan;n111524 said:
So you would protest Strongs return? I think there are better hires out there but I think Charlie would be a solid hire.

Would I protest him coming back? no. But that is a personal reason, not a objective reason. I would love to see a man I've known since I was a child come back and do well. Just objectively I don't think he is the right fit for offense first culture here at Florida.

People have put Charlie on a place where people beleive because he was an assistant here and has had marginal success as a Head Coach a team in the AAC that he is a great hire. Louisville in the AAC is like Alambama or LSU currently the SEC, better facilities, funding, and history than 80% of the schools he is competing against. If we are truly talking about making the best hire?

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some random's guy kid that you just met went to a camp several years ago and liked him? Good enough for me sign him up

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n111532 said:
Would I protest him coming back? no. But that is a personal reason, not a objective reason. I would love to see a man I've known since I was a child come back and do well. Just objectively I don't think he is the right fit for offense first culture here at Florida.

People have put Charlie on a place where people beleive because he was an assistant here and has had marginal success as a Head Coach a team in the AAC that he is a great hire. Louisville in the AAC is like Alambama or LSU currently the SEC, better facilities, funding, and history than 80% of the schools he is competing against. If we are truly talking about making the best hire?

I don't know what the AAC is, but he coached UL in the Big East and now they're in the ACC. Either way, his success to date is questionable whether it was him or Bridgewater. I'll wait and see what happens at Texas after a year or two before I'm ready to give him full credit for UL.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Should we all start our own thread on who we WANT?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n111537 said:
I don't know what the AAC is, but he coached UL in the Big East and now they're in the ACC. Either way, his success to date is questionable whether it was him or Bridgewater. I'll wait and see what happens at Texas after a year or two before I'm ready to give him full credit for UL.

Big East, stopped being the Big East a few years ago. It became the American Athletic Conference. It is where the low level Big East teams went when the bigger names made their original exit to the Big 10 and ACC. It became a mix of the low level Big East teams and upper level Conference USA teams.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Strong, its not going to happen. He would be an upgrade though.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n111548 said:
Big East, stopped being the Big East a few years ago. It became the American Athletic Conference. It is where the low level Big East teams went when the bigger names made their original exit to the Big 10 and ACC. It became a mix of the low level Big East teams and upper level Conference USA teams.

Damn, I need to get out more. Thanks for that lesson.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
NavetG8r;n111537 said:

Agree. You have to take the Louisville record with a grain of salt because he was out recruiting the conference with Florida kids.We'll see how he does now playing with the big boys.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
-THE DUDE-;n111535 said:
Some random's guy kid that you just met went to a camp several years ago and liked him? Good enough for me sign him up

It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh...
Unlike most here I haven't obsessed for days about the next coach. Just sort of hoping the next one is a homerun. Today I have been sort of manic because of all the stuff I have to do in the next few days. I could tell the guy was a huge fan so it took off in my brain after years of following gator football and CS and it just clicked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.