Jacob Guy as our Starting QB?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Apparently he is making some noise in Spring Practice

Based on what he’s done this spring, he’s not going to disappear, he’s going to keep competing and continuing to be a factor at the position through the the summer and into the fall. Could he beat out the two scholarship players in front of him — Treon Harris and Will Grier — to become the starter? Well, let’s just say that’s a very long shot, but don’t rule it out just yet. There’s certainly a chance he could move all the way up to No. 2 to become the next guy in line in the fall. And once he’s in that position, anything can happen.

Here’s something else I’ve found out about him in the past week. He nearly got the call to duty last season. From what I’ve been hearing, the former offensive coaching staff has expressed regret that it didn’t turn the ball over to Guy at some point last season to see what he could do. He tore it up on the scout team, completing a bunch of passes against a very good defense and secondary. There was talk of playing him in the second half of the season, but it turned out to be only that — just talk.

He is also a 3* QB from Dade City Pasco with good size

http://sports.yahoo.com/tcu/football/recruiting/player-Jacob-Guy-124043

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If Colorado State tape means anything, Harris doesn't fit the mold of the kind of guy McElwain prefers in terms of stature or skillset and Grier has struggled with consistency so far. Guy is big, has good arm strength and apparently has decent instincts. It'll be interesting.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing like a stud qb coming from out of nowhere and putting on the dog. Here's hoping he continues to light it up and pushes Treon and Will. Nothing like some good competition to bring the cream to the top.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I remember when a 3 star dude named Rex Grossman beat out 5 star Brock Berlin.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The kid can sling it, from the looks of his highlight tape

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The difference between high school football and college football is huge. Some QB's make the transition and some don't. Guy has the advantage of not having to audition for the old staff...Mac and Nuss will play the best man...I am rooting for him...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I always heard that working on the scout team was a big help for Rex. He got to actually work against the first team D all year while the backup qb just does a bit of work but mostly watches the 1.

Since the playbook changed for everyone, not working with the O probably didn't hurt him at all.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Darn good point...Guy may have gotten some very good experience and is showing it now.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here is ESPN's scout take on him:

This guy is a pretty crafty Guy! Guy is a very tall and lanky pocket passer that is a deceptively good athlete given his measurables. He is consistently keeping plays alive with his feet and he is very good at getting the ball out at the last second when off balance or on the move. He works from both under center and out of the shotgun in a multiple scheme. He possesses a compact, but also loose delivery that is smooth and fluid, somewhat whip-like. He displays a combination of touch and zip and at times will flash some heat you are not sure he is capable of. Displays very good touch and timing on deep balls, corners and seam routes. Has a quick stroke on underneath routes that require zip. There are times when Guy locks on to his target too long and this forces him to move around and buy time and hold onto the ball. The clock needs to go off in his head quicker at times. He is a more than effective runner, but not a dual-threat and should be winning with his arm, but making the occasional play with his legs. He is very tough and competitive and finds ways to move the chains. His arm is sufficient, but not elite. Deep ball will float on him a bit if he does not drive off his back foot. He often throws off his back foot too much and does not derive the power he is capable of. Guy is not doubt a late-bloomer with nice physical tools to work with. He could stand to become shaper mechanically. We feel he has a chance to be a quality non-BCS level prospect in time.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds interesting to say the least. Here's hoping he makes some noise.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
TallyGator;n202619 said:
The difference between high school football and college football is huge. Some QB's make the transition and some don't. Guy has the advantage of not having to audition for the old staff...Mac and Nuss will play the best man...I am rooting for him...

From the fish wrapper known as the Gainesville Sun, they said that there was talk of him being brought on at the second half of the season. I think the problem with that is would have messed with the TOP and we all know that was not the old coaching staff's style.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
To be honest, from what ive seen (or havent seen) from harris so far coupled with what now appears to be a lot of overhype for a redshirt fresh who throws it in the dirt all too often, im fine with a walk-on coming in and slinging it. I saw enough last year from harris that I dont think hes much of an actual passing threat, just a decent athlete which is why the last regime went with him, ala driskel. Cant pass huh? Can you scramble? Really? You can?!?! Your'e the starter!!!

Get someone in there that can take control, exude some confidence and make some 3rd down throws, I dont give a sh*t if its happy gilmore behind center. Just make some plays for a change.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Durty South Swamp;n202735 said:
To be honest, from what ive seen (or havent seen) from harris so far coupled with what now appears to be a lot of overhype for a redshirt fresh who throws it in the dirt all too often, im fine with a walk-on coming in and slinging it. I saw enough last year from harris that I dont think hes much of an actual passing threat, just a decent athlete which is why the last regime went with him, ala driskel. Cant pass huh? Can you scramble? Really? You can?!?! Your'e the starter!!!

Get someone in there that can take control, exude some confidence and make some 3rd down throws, I dont give a sh*t if its happy gilmore behind center. Just make some plays for a change.

I hear ya. I dont care what the QBs name is or his color or statue, as long as he is good and can play the position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator