Jeff Driskel

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
While Jeff is clearly not a very good game QB... I think he should be commended for the way he has handled this situation. During the Vandy game a sideline reporter talked about how Jeff is helping to explain things to Treon after he gets on the headset and talks with Roper. Jeff doesn't have to do that, he could sulk and not be a team player, but he is helping the Gators win. Put that in contrast with Orr who left the team when he didn't get to start even though he was going to play in the second series and get a lot of playing time during the game!

Jeff is a good kid and a good Gator. It's a shame his talent in practice never translated to the field.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I think Jeff is a good kid. I dont think there is much he can do to help Harris. I really would rather he didnt have any input. His inability to translate to game day is nobodys fault but his and he shouldnt be mad he is riding the pine.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
gatormandan;n102619 said:
I think Jeff is a good kid. I dont think there is much he can do to help Harris. I really would rather he didnt have any input. His inability to translate to game day is nobodys fault but his and he shouldnt be mad he is riding the pine.
Guy was given more opportunities for the starting QB role at UF than I have ever seen. That doesn't speak on the behalf of his character IMO. Not saying he's not a good guy, I just don't think they have any correlation.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What you see on the sidelines is for show mostly unless Driskel is relaying something from Roper to Harris.

I wonder what the atmosphere will be like when Elam is Mr. Two Bits Saturday when he is around Driskel. I am sure Driskel had to be aware of all those tweets but Elam was correct.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
ATXGator;n102579 said:
While Jeff is clearly not a very good game QB... I think he should be commended for the way he has handled this situation. During the Vandy game a sideline reporter talked about how Jeff is helping to explain things to Treon after he gets on the headset and talks with Roper. Jeff doesn't have to do that, he could sulk and not be a team player, but he is helping the Gators win. Put that in contrast with Orr who left the team when he didn't get to start even though he was going to play in the second series and get a lot of playing time during the game!

Jeff is a good kid and a good Gator. It's a shame his talent in practice never translated to the field.

Agree. The young man may not have lived up to his potential, and yes, he cost us some games. But he has sacrificed for the Gators and has won us some games. I hope he does transfer and is able to find his potential.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;102623 said:
What you see on the sidelines is for show mostly unless Driskel is relaying something from Roper to Harris.
Speaking of assumptions and baseless claims.....

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
From Andreu's notebook on GS - the obvious answer to why JD is not as good a quarterback as Treon. This is a quote from Muschamp:

The deep ball to Dunbar was actually an over route called for (Tevin) Westbrook, off-play action. Treon saw the safety bite on the over route and took a shot down the field. A really outstanding player. I'm really proud of him

There is just no way that Driskel ever makes that read and that connection. And that's why Treon has become our #1 QB. It just took one game of essentially handing off (UGA) to get him into the groove of a game. He showed us against Vanderbilt that he knows how to read a defense and react to what he sees.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n102634 said:
Speaking of assumptions and baseless claims.....

Just as baseless as the other claims. Driskel makes me think he wants to pout sometimes not being the starter just like the threats of transfer from his dad if he wasn't the guy after Brantley (If they are true of course).

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Touching letter but the reality is Jeff was given so many extra chances that others weren't with much less failure its unbelievable. Hopefully he can find his calling in baseball.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That was a very nice letter. Although I posted above the reason why I think QB just hasn't worked out at UF for JD, it doesn't diminish his devotion to the university and its football team, his dedication as a Gator. He has put in the effort, and has been an exemplary role model off of the field. It just hasn't been working out for him on the field. I have been pulling for him all along. But it's obvious that at this point, in order to win games and return UF on the path to football relevance, Muschamp had to look elsewhere.

JD's problem at UF is that if Muschamp does stay, his career as a QB at UF is virtually over, and if Muschamp is replaced, he's still facing the same situation.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n102683 said:
That was a very nice letter. Although I posted above the reason why I think QB just hasn't worked out at UF for JD, it doesn't diminish his devotion to the university and its football team, his dedication as a Gator. He has put in the effort, and has been an exemplary role model off of the field. It just hasn't been working out for him on the field. I have been pulling for him all along. But it's obvious that at this point, in order to win games and return UF on the path to football relevance, Muschamp had to look elsewhere.

JD's problem at UF is that if Muschamp does stay, his career as a QB at UF is virtually over, and if Muschamp is replaced, he's still facing the same situation.

I think we all know that JD hasn't worked out because he doesn't process the information fast enough. This was more about him being a class act.

I think Jeff understands the concepts, but he has trouble executing them. I don't mind him helping Treon. There is a reason Jeff is probably a good practice player and the coaches like him... it's because he can talk the talk. They always say... those who can't do coach... so Jeff is coaching.

If he transfers I will wish him success. The kid deserves it

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I wish JD nothing but the best. Maybe if he had better coaching things would have been different. I think he should try baseball.

The big elephant in the room is what is Grier going to do if Treon keeps winning. Muschamp will NOT have an open spring. We all know this and frankly if Treon is winning and winning while looking good...what does Grier do?

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
T REX;n102733 said:
I wish JD nothing but the best. Maybe if he had better coaching things would have been different. I think he should try baseball.

The big elephant in the room is what is Grier going to do if Treon keeps winning. Muschamp will NOT have an open spring. We all know this and frankly if Treon is winning and winning while looking good...what does Grier do?
He probably will transfer, and he should. He has a great skill set. The problem with the quarterback position is I think the team likes one, and sometimes it is not the same one the coach likes. I would rather have all reps go to one guy in the spring to be honest. Hopefully the QB we have committed sticks, that way we have an able body and what appears to be a solid qb as a back up option.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
We all respect the efforts that Jeff Driskel made UF. You can tell that Muschamp really liked him. He carried himself well in victory and defeat. But don't feel too sorry for JD. He got start numerous games for the University of Florida at quarterback which is no small feat in itself. He had his down moments, but he had his up moments as well -- the victory over Texas A&M at College Station, the 177 yards, three touchdowns against Vanderbilt in Nashville in 2012 among others.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
He needs to focus on baseball. He also needs to stick to fishing with the buddy below. I'll give him a thumbs up there for sure.:clap:
tarin-moses-fish1.jpg

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n102733 said:

I've thought about the Grier question also. If Treon continues to play well and we win out, I don't see how you give Grier the job over Treon. Grier is red-shirting and he has a minimum of 1 year as a senior. There is also the possibility that Treon could leave early (if he continues to show a high skill set). He could be seen very much as a Russell Wilson type player in the NFL and leave early giving Grier 2 years to play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator