GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator said:
divits;n27614 said:
I guess I can understand alumni cutting back on going to games because of the time and money involved, but for crying out loud what the hell else are students doing in Gainesville, Florida on a Saturday afternoon? Are we to believe that they're so scary busy that football games just can't fit into their schedule? And who gives a crap about how the team is playing. When you're in college the game is secondary to the party in the stands. I agree with the monkey, people are letting real life pass them by by having their noses in their phones all day. They freaking sleep with those damn things. They're going to be 80 years old one day and look back at their life as one long reddit thread.

Divits really nailed it here. The game experience doesn't really extend to the students these days. They are more focused on the narcasism of social media and if they can't immeditely post a #selfie on Instagram, FB, Twitter, etc... then they aren't interested. UF even has more evening games this year which should help, but this is a problem happening all over with College and NFL. The truth is the game experience is better these days at home so people are choosing to watch games there.
I took my daughters to a concert last year and all of the teenage/ twenty somethings were plugged into their phones the whole time taking selfies and posting... It was very odd.. It is almost as if no matter where they are, they have to know what is going on somewhere else....

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Bernardo de la Paz;n27536 said:
And they sold out in less than 24 hours

I was there the last 2 years of "the ol ball coach" and it was dial in and pray. Me being the engineering student I was at the time, and the fact that ppl still used desktops that came with 56k modems, I rigged up my modem to dial the student hotline number instead of the number to sign online. I also set it to hangup and redial automatically if it recieved a busy signal. I then proceeded to setup a cot, some non perishables and the cordless phone in the computer room and wait. Usually took about 10 hours before getting through but worked every time. Hearing Mick Huberts voice announcing some big play for 30 minutes once I got in the qeue was heaven.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
divits said:
I guess I can understand alumni cutting back on going to games because of the time and money involved, but for crying out loud what the hell else are students doing in Gainesville, Florida on a Saturday afternoon? Are we to believe that they're so scary busy that football games just can't fit into their schedule? And who gives a crap about how the team is playing. When you're in college the game is secondary to the party in the stands. I agree with the monkey, people are letting real life pass them by by having their noses in their phones all day. They freaking sleep with those damn things. They're going to be 80 years old one day and look back at their life as one long reddit thread.
Bingo. I can count on one hand the number of times I missed any GW football or hoops game at home during my days as a student. It is part of the college experience, no matter the size of the school, but when you are at an SEC school, it is frankly inexcusable to even have tix available.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I find that I'm liking all of the crotchety people's comments. This thread is another reason Zambo and Divits are probably my 2 favorite posters. :stars:

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
I don't think it's a huge deal. They're probably just selling a little slow and partly because students don't realize they're still available.
:lol:

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Regarding the latest crop of students, do you think there is simply no interest in football anymore (for the majority of them)?

There is such a negative portrayal of concussions and other injuries, attacking mascots as un-PC (although I think we are safe as Gators), the whole anti-bullying thing, helicopter moms... basically the pussification of kids. I'm thinking this generation just flat out doesnt care. And it will only get worse.

Or is this what every generation says about the kids that are 20 years behind them? :eek:ldman:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think it's a new age thing. Especially seeing how many fans showed up to bamas practice the other day. I asked a student the other day if he was getting tickets and he said no because they're impossible to get, I could imagine quite a few students share this line of thinking. Also we can't ignore that there's a a pretty big disconnect right now but nothing a good season can't fix.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
JC_Gator said:
My major requires a LOT of studying, I usually take Saturday off though and wake up early Sunday and study from 8am to midnight with a few breaks here and there. I would rather do that then miss Gator football.
Yes chemical engineering does require a lot of work. My son graduated some time ago but still found time to play video games. I bet he missed games or even did not get a ticket because he does not appreciate the experience. I went to the South Carolina away game some years ago and did not appreciate having to stand on my seat to see. Surprising the students around me were surprised that an older alumni knew how to cheer and yelled louder than them. Times change as do students. I do wonder if the frats still have block seating and dorms as well.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If we managed to win a football game or two in 2015, the stadium will be full again. You people are hilarious with all your selfie excuses.

No one wants to watch Mushhiiit. It's no more complicated than that.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:
If we managed to win a football game or two in 2015, the stadium will be full again. You people are hilarious with all your selfie excuses.

So you're saying that if the football team wasn't winning back when you were a student at UF you wouldn't have walked the two blocks to go to the games?

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Attendance will be a problem for the smaller games no matter how good we are. It's just the way it is especially with students. The quality of product does matter, but will not be the ultimate fix. Ticket buying usually isn't the problem, but it's getting students to show up that is.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:

It wasn't two blocks for me.

I was there during SOS. I can't even imagine not winning. I can and do avoid the games now. It just isn't worth it. Maybe if I didn't care and just wanted to see the band or something it would all be ok. I feel terrible for our players and the embarrassment they must feel.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We should go back to allowing reentry so everybody can go out and get liquored up at halftime.

Angaza

Aug 11, 2014
Something needs to change. The team can play better OR the school can improve gameday atmosphere so that people aren't more inclined to watch from home. While Foley is great at increasing revenue, he's bad at improving the fan experience. The tailgating I've seen this past season stunk. University Ave looked dead.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I only go to games that I get free tickets for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.