Jim Kelly to receive Jimmy V Award

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He continues to battle cancer. I'm praying he's doing better than he looks or sounds, esp this comment.

"God willing, I'll be there."

The pic is from May 11.

One of nicest guys you will ever meet. You want to root for people like Jim Kelly.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23695970/jim-kelly-get-jimmy-v-award-cancer-fight
4c241a8138803670971169f52843d430.jpg

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
No ill will towards him...but boy did he hate the Gators. Even after his scUM days were over, he always took shots at us. I do not wish cancer on anyone.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No ill will towards him...but boy did he hate the Gators. Even after his scUM days were over, he always took shots at us. I do not wish cancer on anyone.
Probably has. Interviewed him after the 1980 debacle at Florida Field that culminated with Schnellenberger ordering a late field goal after UF fans pelted the Miami bench with tangerines and oranges. Miami won the game 31-7.

There was vitriol in the Canes post-game locker, led by Schnellenberger, who described Florida fans as crude and classless and offered no apologies for running up the score.

Kelly, who had a great day, refused to get involved. He was polite to a fault.

Mgnihilo

Founding Member
South Carolina Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Funny story about Jim. I went to Astronaut High in Titusville, same school as Chris Collingsworth. Chris had an annual invitational golf tournament raising money for the school district in the late 80s/early 90s and Jim played in it one year. The Astronaut football players helped work the course (closest to the hole par 3s and longest drive par 5s) and we all got to meet and talk to the players. Everyone gave autographs (except Pete Rose). I was wearing a Gator hat getting everyone to sign it. Jim looked at the hat and laughed. He said he'd sign it if he could write what he wanted...

I now own a hat that says Florida Gators "suck...Jim Kelley."

Well, I guess that's not too funny...

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Remember the presser where he wore a “Gators eat boogers” T-shirt? Yeah, he’s just oozing with class.

Jun 2, 2015
Probably has. Interviewed him after the 1980 debacle at Florida Field that culminated with Schnellenberger ordering a late field goal after UF fans pelted the Miami bench with tangerines and oranges. Miami won the game 31-7.

There was vitriol in the Canes post-game locker, led by Schnellenberger, who described Florida fans as crude and classless and offered no apologies for running up the score.

Kelly, who had a great day, refused to get involved. He was polite to a fault.

Oh my gosh, I well remember being @ that game in the Swamp. A Gator fan behind me spilled Jack Daniels & Coke down my back & I smelled like a brewery. Then, from where I was sitting I couldn't tell if the field goal was good or not & whoever was handling the scoreboard never put up the field goal score on the board. Only knew it was good after listening on the radio later.

We met back @ my in-laws on Lake Hall in Keystone Heights and my brother-in-law who was a Gator grad was ranting and raving about the field goal and my late husband was goading him & laughing and my mother-in-law was in the middle trying to get them to settle down. We truly had a house divided that day.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

Back in the days of artificial turf and less madness in this world, when they used to let us walk across the Florida Field after a game, I actually spoke to Jim Kelly as he was walking off post-game. He was gracious despite the nastiness of that rivalry and I think a scUM loss. Not arguing your point, I was really surprised. (I did say something like “Good game.”)

Sad to hear of his struggle and felt badly about the illness and death of his son.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Good luck to Kelly. **** cancer.

That being said, what lib SJW and/or chick with a dick will win the Arthur Ashe courage award? I'd lean toward some kneeler piece of **** or they work it somehow to one or more of the Parkland punks.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Boy, winning that Jimmy V Award sure is a double edged sword, ain't it?

Windy City Gator

Banned
BANNED
Oct 26, 2017
Back in the days of artificial turf and less madness in this world, when they used to let us walk across the Florida Field after a game, I actually spoke to Jim Kelly as he was walking off post-game. He was gracious despite the nastiness of that rivalry and I think a scUM loss. Not arguing your point, I was really surprised. (I did say something like “Good game.”)

Sad to hear of his struggle and felt badly about the illness and death of his son.
In the 80's we used to play ultimate frisbee at 2am on Florida Field after the Porpoise closed for the night and the playing of Rolly Polly Fish Heads. Like you said, the field was very accessible.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In the 80's we used to play ultimate frisbee at 2am on Florida Field after the Porpoise closed for the night and the playing of Rolly Polly Fish Heads. Like you said, the field was very accessible.
It continued that way for awhile. I remember getting on newly sodded Florida Field just prior to Spurrier's first season.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Funny story about Jim. I went to Astronaut High in Titusville, same school as Chris Collingsworth. Chris had an annual invitational golf tournament raising money for the school district in the late 80s/early 90s and Jim played in it one year. The Astronaut football players helped work the course (closest to the hole par 3s and longest drive par 5s) and we all got to meet and talk to the players. Everyone gave autographs (except Pete Rose). I was wearing a Gator hat getting everyone to sign it. Jim looked at the hat and laughed. He said he'd sign it if he could write what he wanted...

I now own a hat that says Florida Gators "suck...Jim Kelley."

Well, I guess that's not too funny...
Small world, I went to THS.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So some of us are happy a guy may be dying of cancer because he once wore a goofy shirt making fun of his rivals in college? Is that our hot take today?

Man's been through a lot. I hope this isn't the end for him, but the Jimmy V Award is typically a bad sign for the recipient.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So some of us are happy a guy may be dying of cancer because he once wore a goofy shirt making fun of his rivals in college? Is that our hot take today?

Man's been through a lot. I hope this isn't the end for him, but the Jimmy V Award is typically a bad sign for the recipient.
Lighten up, Sas. It was a joke. No one is seriously wishing Jim Kelly ill will during a time of need.

Now MJM? Maybe.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
In seeing a lot of interviews and things with Kelly over the past decade (including "A Football Life"), he seems like a really, really good guy. I certainly hope he pulls through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator