Jim McElwain sucks and we told you so, na nana na boo boo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I truly hope that he does get it. If he does, could mean good things. I am more or less at the "want to see the proof" mode. Mac could very easily fix things to make this reality. We'll see. For me the biggest strike against will be LDR getting the start.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry, but pulling a rabbit out of a hat on NSD to salvage a decent class (not good or great) along with a few coaching hires (one good, the other a head-scratcher) does not instill confidence. I appreciate the writer's effort to paint a pretty picture, but that's all it is. The reality is we still sucked balls on offense, retained the OC, have no proven QB, will take a step back on defense due to the losss of our best players and our schedule is even tougher this year with the trip to Dallas to start the season. Not sure if Mac "get it" but I sure as hell do.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Sorry, but pulling a rabbit out of a hat on NSD to salvage a decent class (not good or great) along with a few coaching hires (one good, the other a head-scratcher) does not instill confidence. I appreciate the writer's effort to paint a pretty picture, but that's all it is. The reality is we still sucked balls on offense, retained the OC, have no proven QB, will take a step back on defense due to the losss of our best players and our schedule is even tougher this year with the trip to Dallas to start the season. Not sure if Mac "get it" but I sure as hell do.
This sums it up for me......But at the risk of sounding at least semi optimistic, he needs to show me 10 wins next season, another top 10 class and an offense that ranks at least somewhere in the 60's-70's and doesn't go cold for 2.5 to 3 quarters in every game next season....minimum. Yes, I've lowered the bar a little because of our QB situation even though that issue falls squarely on him and his choice of retaining his OC.....And I think those are both realistic and fair goals. Wake me up in late August....

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I'm changing my thinking a bit. As you know I was 100% Coach Mac when he came aboard. I slowly turned on him. I'm now thinking he deserves the full opportunity to get us where we want and need to be. It took a few years to get as low as WM took us. You don't turn a large ship around on a dime. Our team is very solid except for the all important offensive side of the ball. Last year I thought our OL line would be mature and ready to be productive. It didn't happen. I think there is a much better chance that will happen this year. If it does, our running backs will run better and the QB will throw better. Our offense will then be better than average and we'll be really excited again.
I am amazed at how well we are recruiting South Florida now. With the new coaching hires that could improve markedly. That gives me great hope. We have never finished a class on NSD like we did this year. Our strong play in the bowl game backed up with a top ten class gives me hope. If one of the young QBs break out it will be exciting again. We are long over due a decent QB so the odds are heavily on our side.
I am feeling there is a good chance good things are ahead. There is nothing more competitive than college football. My grandson plays for Mercer. I have been amazed at what that small school program does to compete. It's unbelievable. The athlete gives his life to the program. I do think Coach Mac gets the love and respect of the players. He knows how to get them to relax and have fun. Dabo Swinney built his program on that principle. In the long run that will pay dividends. Saban's technic is the exact opposite, all business and no fun. SOS was really good at getting them to relax
play and have fun. Dabo beating Saban was a great example of these systems meeting.
So I am now believing there is hope and excitement in our relatively near future.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Only real meat in the article is "important for McElwain and OC Doug Nussmeier to hand the keys over to a younger player with more upside."

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I hate the Dabo comparisons because we're Florida, and have 3 NC in the last 20 years, 2 in the last 10. Not 1 in the last 30, then again maybe that's where the bar has been set now. Sigh

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What's the point in arguing? We could get better, we could remain the same. One thing I am sure of is what my opinion of Mac will be by the end of October. It'll be cement.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
We will see when they take the field. I don't see any difference. Recruiting was o.k., but not great. I think Georgia will win the east this year.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The thread title is not confidence-inspiring to me. But I do hope that the light has come on. I agree that the QB position as well as how the offense in general performs will be a big determiner of our fate this season (though that is not a new idea). Where QB is concerned, if we are able to finagle a transfer in or if LDR should once again assume the position, it will most likely tell us a lot more about the current stable at that position as well as the recruitment (which I think we all have had a glimpse) and the development. A lot can happen with one more spring and a fall camp, but I am still concerned/perplexed that we didn't try another QB, even though I believe I (and others) know why. Thus, my hope is that the OL reaches a higher level than last season so that blocking efficiency won't be as big a concern or hinderance in terms of offensive production. If we have a discernable dip in defensive play, the offensive onus will be even greater. I'm pretty much always optimistic, but more and more cautious these last couple of seasons...

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
We need to see CONSISTENT high production on offense and for us NOT to get blown out by our rivals for Mac to "start getting it"...

Agree with you about the offense.

I would say we need to start BEATING our main rival FSU consistently while continuing to beat the UGAs and UTs and we need to dramatically improve our performance and record against ranked teams as.a whole.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Agree with you about the offense.

I would say we need to start BEATING our main rival FSU consistently while continuing to beat the UGAs and UTs and we need to dramatically improve our performance and record against ranked teams as.a whole.

Spurrier didn't beat FSU consistently...

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He's proven he doesn't get it. It all starts with a qb then building both lines of scrimmage. He's recruited QB's worse than Muschamp but continued the trend of recruiting 8 DB's per cycle. This is gonna be a really rough year now that he doesnt four 1st round picks on defense to carrybhis shcitty offense.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I think it depends on how you look at it. For those who forget, most posters thought that Chump was the second coming of UM. I remember those "look at Sabans first two years" posts. It was year three before any whisper of negativity was allowed against chump. Yet some folks have been bashing Mac all year.

I understand that it's been a long stretch of mediocrity and every year blends into one long nightmare.

My perspective, as someone who never liked Chump, is that he damaged the program so bad that Mac looks halfway decent just cleaning the mess up! I think we will see major improvement now that he has implemented his system.

I think that many of you still think Chump was a good coach and the program wasn't damaged that bad. 4-8 does a lot of damage to a successful brand. I wonder if that bias affects the onslaught of negativity Mac has received.

Disclaimer: I am not satisfied with a 127th offense, I'm not satisfied with fake gators and mercenaries LDR and Appleby. I am not satisfied with Nuss. I just think look at it from the perspective of how low we actually were.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's funny people are saying "Well Luther Campbell says so."
He coaches in Miami and is a huge part of that scene and has been for years. He knows the reputations in the community of Shannon, Bell, and Sieder better than anyone on here or in the UF press corps.

What I hadn't known about Davis was that we faced him in the past two years. So maybe Mac saw something with those lines that impressed him. Still a head scratcher, but make a little more since it's not so much about of left field hire.

The defense will take a small step back but it shouldn't be 2007 bad, and they should improve in 2018. OL and skill players look good. WE NEED A QB TO STEP UP.

I do think we are moving in the right direction, albeit at a slower pace than we want. I do think we are really close to being an impact team. Mac did the same thing at Colorado State. Slow improvement. And I think he is learning on the job, but not Muschchampian levels. He's not out of the woods by any means, but some are seeing some light. Like any coach he needs his QB. SOS had Weurffel, Meyer had Tebow, Mac needs a guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.