Jim McElwain sucks and we told you so, na nana na boo boo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As long as Nord is on staff, then Mac obviously doesn't "get it". The guy hasn't brought in any recruits in 3 classes, TE's still can't block at all, and the special teams have been far from special other than the natural talent we have at kicker and punter, which has nothing to do with Nord.

The problem with fully buying in with Mac is that there is always a little good mixed with a litlle bad. Yes we won 10 games but our offense was worse. We won the East but were blown out by 3 teams (2 rivals). We pulled in a good recruiting class but still didn't get any top national players or top 15 within the state. We added a good coach or two but also added one with an underwhelming resume and didn't get rid of the worst coach on the staff.

I think you'll see more buy-in from Mac once the good outweighs the bad and doesn't simply balance out the bad.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You know a lot of people go to college for seven years...
Whatever - I went for 10!
235637-the-simpsons-bart-gif.gif

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The thread title is not confidence-inspiring to me. But I do hope that the light has come on. I agree that the QB position as well as how the offense in general performs will be a big determiner of our fate this season (though that is not a new idea). Where QB is concerned, if we are able to finagle a transfer in or if LDR should once again assume the position, it will most likely tell us a lot more about the current stable at that position as well as the recruitment (which I think we all have had a glimpse) and the development. A lot can happen with one more spring and a fall camp, but I am still concerned/perplexed that we didn't try another QB, even though I believe I (and others) know why. Thus, my hope is that the OL reaches a higher level than last season so that blocking efficiency won't be as big a concern or hinderance in terms of offensive production. If we have a discernable dip in defensive play, the offensive onus will be even greater. I'm pretty much always optimistic, but more and more cautious these last couple of seasons...

The thread title was the title of the article, I believe. But you're right. Has the light come one? I'm not so sure with the hiring of a no-name OL coach and Nord still on staff. Our OL, QB play, and overall offense (the OC) has been a disaster since he's been here. I don't want to hear about Grier either. Like 90% of everyone else here: it's make or break time for him w/ this offense. Show us a solid product and stop getting blown out multiple times a year!

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I hate the Dabo comparisons because we're Florida, and have 3 NC in the last 20 years, 2 in the last 10. Not 1 in the last 30, then again maybe that's where the bar has been set now. Sigh

Look at what Ala did to us and what Dabo to Ala. You can't live in the past.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the article. Now I'm sitting on the toilet doing my best Ox impersonation because of all the sunshine that writer blew up my a$$.

Ox is far from a sunshine pumper. Heck, when the chips were down, he pulled out and quit the podcast. Far, far, far from a pumper. In fact, he's usually one of the first to start complaining when things aren't going perfect.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Spurrier didn't beat FSU consistently...

I didn't say he did. He was, however, 5-8-1 against them which is fairly often in the grand scheme of things relatively speaking, and he crushed them for our 1st natty. The bigger point is that Meyer raised the bar against our rivals and showed that it's achievable to dominate not only UGA and UT, but also the Noles. Mac needs to start winning some games against them in convincing fashion rather than getting trounced by them.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's funny people are saying "Well Luther Campbell says so."
I still can't believe people are putting much stock into what this guy says. We're talking about a guy who made his money singing "me so horney."

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
I still can't believe people are putting much stock into what this guy says. We're talking about a guy who made his money singing "me so horney."

Regardless of his musical past he has been a high school football coach in the Miami public school system for the past decade or so. Like it or not, he has some credibility with South Florida locals.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't say he did. He was, however, 5-8-1 against them which is fairly often in the grand scheme of things relatively speaking, and he crushed them for our 1st natty. The bigger point is that Meyer raised the bar against our rivals and showed that it's achievable to dominate not only UGA and UT, but also the Noles. Mac needs to start winning some games against them in convincing fashion rather than getting trounced by them.

I just want to be competitive against them first... then maybe get a win or two... the reality is right now their program is on auto-pilot. Jimbo is getting Top 5 classes every year and elite players all over the field. It is going to take time to get our talent to the level we can compete again. It isn't going to be a jump. It is going to be gradual... the question is if we as a fanbase have the patience for it...

I don't really think we do. I've said before in other threads that many people don't realize how far we had fallen under Muschamp. McElwain's recruiting has not been stellar, but it has improved... if he can show an offense and pull in a top 5 class the next couple years then we will finally be back in the title picture and really able to compete athletically with Bama/FSU...

It is sad, but true.

Last edited:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I thought we hired him and started paying millions of dollars two and a half years ago because he already "got it".

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I just want to be competitive against them first... then maybe get a win or two... the reality is right now their program is on auto-pilot. Jimbo is getting Top 5 classes every year and elite players all over the field. It is going to take time to get our talent to the level we can compete again. It isn't going to be a jump. It is going to be gradual... the question is if we as a fanbase have the patience for it...

I don't really think we do. I've said before in other threads that many people don't realize how far we had fallen under Muschamp. McElwain's recruiting has not been stellar, but it has improved... if he show an offense and pull in a Top 5 class the next couple years then we will finally be back in the title picture and really able to compete athletically with Bama/FSU...

It is sad, but true.

Can't argue w/ any of that. Good post.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Ox is far from a sunshine pumper. Heck, when the chips were down, he pulled out and quit the podcast. Far, far, far from a pumper. In fact, he's usually one of the first to start complaining when things aren't going perfect.

I wasn't calling Ox a pumper. I was referencing his poop story. It is on here somewhere. One of the funniest things I've ever read.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I just want to be competitive against them first... then maybe get a win or two...

This is very sad. Mac finally pulled in a decent class. I feel like he's behind and has been since he got here. It really feels like only lately has he shown any type of urgency. Not sure if it is from us fans or what but why did it take so long to light a fire under his ass?

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
I want the Gators to be great again and I want to win titles, so I certainly hope its true. However he's going to have to prove it to me with the product on the field. Feels like we always "win" the offseason but then when it gets to game time we roll over and play dead.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is very sad. Mac finally pulled in a decent class. I feel like he's behind and has been since he got here. It really feels like only lately has he shown any type of urgency. Not sure if it is from us fans or what but why did it take so long to light a fire under his ass?

It's entirely possible he found out the Gator brand was tarnished more than what Foley fed him. Now he's realized UF no longer just sells itself. Coaches have to get out on road and work for a change.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
We need a Mike White, kick a rival's ass on national tv moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator