Jim McElwain sucks and we told you so, na nana na boo boo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
It's a nice thought that Hee Haw gets it. But even the sunshine pumper Bob Redman stated that a 10th ranked recruiting class won't cut it at Florida and that we should very seldom be outside the top 5. We'll also see if he insists on playing LDR at QB. What should we say? Cautiously optimistic at best, I would think.

Who said Florida should very seldom be outside the top five? Florida is the most highly recruited state in the country by schools that have been on better runs than UF. Also traditionally Florida has not been the place kids from S Florida wanted to play, it's been UM. I do agree we need to do better and I also have trouble with other schools poaching top Florida talent but not all marquee football programs will finish in the top five annually and that includes UF.

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
It's entirely possible he found out the Gator brand was tarnished more than what Foley fed him. Now he's realized UF no longer just sells itself. Coaches have to get out on road and work for a change.

I think he may have come to realize that Florida does not have the "laid back" mentality that many outsiders might perceive it to have. Very different than what you will find on the west coast.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Much like most sports "filler-writers", this guy is like an Uber driver who doesn't know where you are and also has no idea where he is.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Who said Florida should very seldom be outside the top five? Florida is the most highly recruited state in the country by schools that have been on better runs than UF. Also traditionally Florida has not been the place kids from S Florida wanted to play, it's been UM. I do agree we need to do better and I also have trouble with other schools poaching top Florida talent but not all marquee football programs will finish in the top five annually and that includes UF.
Our average finish in recruiting rankings was 4th before Jim McElwain took over.

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
Over what period of time?

Also having an average of 4th or 7th only shows that it's possible not that it's the rule.

I'm hopeful that we can continue our upward trajectory and get back to averaging top five classes.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Over what period of time?

Also having an average of 4th or 7th only shows that it's possible not that it's the rule.

I'm hopeful that we can continue our upward trajectory and get back to averaging top five classes.

I did the research last year. If you take the class average before Mac got here on Rivals(since they started reporting) it is 7 point something. It's posted on here somewhere with a break down of 3/4/5 stars for us, Bama and FSU for '13 on(I think). Mac has recruited the most 3 stars of any head coach at UF since 2003.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I just want to be competitive against them first... then maybe get a win or two... the reality is right now their program is on auto-pilot. Jimbo is getting Top 5 classes every year and elite players all over the field. It is going to take time to get our talent to the level we can compete again. It isn't going to be a jump. It is going to be gradual... the question is if we as a fanbase have the patience for it...

I don't really think we do. I've said before in other threads that many people don't realize how far we had fallen under Muschamp. McElwain's recruiting has not been stellar, but it has improved... if he can show an offense and pull in a top 5 class the next couple years then we will finally be back in the title picture and really able to compete athletically with Bama/FSU...

It is sad, but true.

Can't argue w/ any of that. Good post.

Actually, I'll argue with most of it. If you or especially the Noles themselves, think their program is on auto pilot, with 3 ACC losses and 2 or 3 other near miss losses that they barely survived last season, then you just made my weekend. They are the most consistently overrated team year in year out. Jimbo is the master of doing less with more and lack of UF talent across the field that isn't able to match up with their elite players all over the field (as you put it) isn't why we've lost to them the past 2 years. A better coaching staff on the UF sideline wins at least one of the last 2 games, maybe both of them. A better UF staff with a decent QB wins both of the last 2 games and likely puts an azz whipping on them in at least one of those games. With the exception of a few positions like QB and O-line, we had enough talent to match up with them and win those games. At most positions on the D side of the ball we were better than them. Our problem has been a putrid offense and a staff that couldn't figure out how to fix that or work around it for a game. Hell, Muschamp went in to Tally with Jeff Driskel (no Joe Montana) and thumped them in 2012 and would have beat them again in 2014 with Freon at QB (definitely no Tom Brady), completing all of 12 passes for 165 yards, if our DB breaks right with the pick instead of cutting back to the middle. This was against their all world team heralded by Famous Anus Winston and a dozen or so other 5 star players that were on their 2 deep roster.

We shouldn't have to have an expectation that getting back to a competitive level against the Noles will be gradual and take time, nor do we need to believe that we need to have several years of top 5 recruiting classes to get close to their level of play. The only questions we should have are do we have a QB on the roster that can, at a minimum, be competent in running the offense and do Mac & Co. have the coaching chops create and execute a game plan that will deliver us a victory.

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
I did the research last year. If you take the class average before Mac got here on Rivals(since they started reporting) it is 7 point something. It's posted on here somewhere with a break down of 3/4/5 stars for us, Bama and FSU for '13 on(I think). Mac has recruited the most 3 stars of any head coach at UF since 2003.

He may have the most three stars but I'm glad he has gotten productivity out of them. I would rather a contributing three star than a higher ranked recruit that rides the pine.

Hopefully we can get some game changers soon and not just the diamond in the rough.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
He may have the most three stars but I'm glad he has gotten productivity out of them. I would rather a contributing three star than a higher ranked recruit that rides the pine.

Hopefully we can get some game changers soon and not just the diamond in the rough.

Those 3 stars were blitzkreiged by FSU & Bama. They played well against an anemic Iowa team from a horrible horrible Big Ten. I get what you are saying and Mac did bring in more 4 stars this year. This year is going to be mostly Mac's kids. We'll see how good he is...this year will tell us a lot.

Totally agree that we need top end talent...the game changers. Getting 1 kid from the top 100 is not going to cut it.

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
I'm waaaaay over getting our butts kicked by FSU and Bama.

Sadly, I'm of the opinion that it will be a little while before we are able to hang with those teams as we have yet to build the depth that they have. Hopefully next season if we are unable to dominate we can at the very least stay competitive.

It's going to be a long eight months.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I'm waaaaay over getting our butts kicked by FSU and Bama.

Sadly, I'm of the opinion that it will be a little while before we are able to hang with those teams as we have yet to build the depth that they have. Hopefully next season if we are unable to dominate we can at the very least stay competitive.

It's going to be a long eight months.

Maybe that's true with Bama but we should be able to beat FSU if we get a competent QB and the coaches up their game (which may be asking too much for this staff) IMO.

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
Maybe that's true with Bama but we should be able to beat FSU if we get a competent QB and the coaches up their game (which may be asking too much for this staff) IMO.

I hope you are right about beating FSU as I'm over seeing all of the garnet and gold shirts walking around.

Also, I still hold out hope that Mac and company will lead us to the promise land.....

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You've got a point. There's been several teams full of 2 and 3 stars beat fsu. So there's always hope. But we're always gonna get their best shot. They're not gonna be sleeping on us like they would a Georgia Tech. I just hope we don't invite abunch of top recruits to the game this year. I just dont see how these coaches think its a good idea to bring these guys in to witness us getting slaughtered.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm optimistic, as usual.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
I just said it Sunday in a quote by Bob Redmond. I quoted him because I believe it myself regardless of whether Florida is poached or not. If we are going to be competing with the likes of Bama and others we will have to recruit at their level.

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
I just said it Sunday in a quote by Bob Redmond. I quoted him because I believe it myself regardless of whether Florida is poached or not. If we are going to be competing with the likes of Bama and others we will have to recruit at their level.

I certainly agree that I would like to recruit at the highest level but Unfortunately it's not a given.

Out of curiosity does the gatorchatter community think Clemson will be taking a step back because they finished
#22 according to Rivals? And yes I realize Deshaun Watson is gone so let's take that out of the equation.

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
Initially I was very impressed with putting so many eggs into the S Florida recruiting basket but I'm starting to waiver a bit.
I equate recruiting to investing financially and a smart investor does not put all of there $ in one place.

Diversification (finance) In finance, diversification is the process of allocating capital in a way that reduces the exposure to any one particular asset or risk. A common path towards diversification is to reduce risk or volatility by investing in a variety of assets.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I certainly agree that I would like to recruit at the highest level but Unfortunately it's not a given.

Out of curiosity does the gatorchatter community think Clemson will be taking a step back because they finished
#22 according to Rivals? And yes I realize Deshaun Watson is gone so let's take that out of the equation.
How can you take the QB out of the equation and give an intelligent response?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.