Joe Montana / Tom Brady: Namath Speaks

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
For over a decade the debate has been between Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. This year finally I reluctantly admit that ship has sailed. Now the debate begins anew but this time its Tom Brady and Joe Montana. As I type this thread I know the careers of these two superstar NFL quarterbacks will linger through time.

Montana was fortunate to enjoy a storied college career at Notre Dame winning a National Championship while Brady, an unsung almost invisible player, struggled to even remain a starter at Michigan.
NFL

We'll forego their stats in the regular season and go straight to their post season Super Bowl records.

Super Bowl Championships
Joe Montana: 4
Tom Brady: 4

Super Bowl Record
Joe Montana: 4-0
Tom Brady :4-2

Super Bowl TD/Int
Joe Montana: 11/0
Tom Brady: 13/4

Super Bowl Completion Stats
Joe Montana: 83 of 122 for 1,142 yards
Tom Brady: 164 of 247 for 1,605 yards

Super Bowl QB Rating
Joe Montana:127.8
Tom Brady: 95.3

Super Bowl MVP's
Joe Montana: 3
Tom Brady: 3

Now we go from the objective (stats) to the subjective.

Joe Montana played in the pre free agency era when an wealthy owner and smart GM could keep the nucleus of a championship team together. Also nobody can deny Joe had a better fleet of receivers such as Jerry Rice, John Taylor and an all pro tight end.

Tom Brady played during the free agency era that made it almost impossible to build and keep a dynasty team. Brady also played in six Super Bowls. The two Super Bowls the Patriots lost to the New York Giants Brady did his job driving the Patriots for the go ahead touchdown late in the 4th quarter. Unfortunately for him and his Super Bowl legacy he had to sit on the bench and watch two Eli Manning engineered winning touchdown drives in the last 3 minutes of the 4th quarter in Super Bowl 42 and Super Bowl 46 including arguably the most unbelievable play in Super Bowl history involving a Houdini like escape by Manning and Hail Mary Pass to David Tyree miraculously holding the football against his helmet. Without that improbable Manning escape and Hail Mary miracle Tyree catch the New England Patriots and Tom Brady enter posterity as an undefeated NFL team in the free agency era.

I'm just saying..............

In the next 1-3 years Brady could put another notch on his holster. That would end the debate. Wouldn't it be the ultimate last hurrah if he ended his career as a 40 year old quarterback winning his 5th Super Bowl.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Brady.

Montana also played in an era where one conference was totally dominant over the other.

A better comparison might be Montana's stats and record in NFC championship games (which pretty much were the real Super Bowl back then).

Alex.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Big Sky has been my favorite QB since the first time I saw him complete a wobbly pass at ND!

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
This thread is now about beautiful gator gals. get lost chipmunk.
sexy-uf-gator-girls-12.jpg

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Well, Joe's favorite receiver apparently used illegal equipment for multiple seasons. So maybe the rule bending equals out.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n176604 said:
Brady.

Montana also played in an era where one conference was totally dominant over the other.

A better comparison might be Montana's stats and record in NFC championship games (which pretty much were the real Super Bowl back then).

Alex.

Montana also played in an era where Defense was Defense.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n176669 said:
Montana also played in an era where Defense was Defense.

Yeah, an argument could be made for either. I like Brady more simply because I was never a Niners fan, but Montana was awesome.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n176672 said:
Yeah, an argument could be made for either. I like Brady more simply because I was never a Niners fan, but Montana was awesome.

It really is picking between two of the top quarterbacks of all time, arguments could be made for either.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Born2beagator;n176635 said:
This thread is now about beautiful gator gals. get lost chipmunk.
sexy-uf-gator-girls-12.jpg

This is a sure fire way to drive Alvin out of any thread just as posting beefcake photos is a sure way to lure him in. But he started this one, and deserves to continue it as he's already admitted that Manning is an overrated choke artist scumbag.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
PastyStoole;n176675 said:
This is a sure fire way to drive Alvin out of any thread just as posting beefcake photos is a sure way to lure him in. But he started this one, and deserves to continue it as he's already admitted that Manning is an overrated choke artist scumbag.

The media thinks otherwise. They continue to sit and worship at Manning's feet just like they do Eldrick Woods. Don't blame me and 10aC .

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Alvin York;n176690 said:
The media thinks otherwise. They continue to sit and worship at Manning's feet just like they do Eldrick Woods. Don't blame me and 10aC .

Manning won media "championships". Brady won actual championships.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A few stats that you forgot to mention is that Brady holds the following post season records: wins, completions, yards, touchdowns, and superbowl appearances. But that is just the post season. If you compare their career stats Brady has more/better: Pro Bowls, pass attempts, completions, touchdowns, TD-INT ratio, and passer rating.

Brady > Montana

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n176714 said:
A few stats that you forgot to mention is that Brady holds the following post season records: wins, completions, yards, touchdowns, and superbowl appearances. But that is just the post season. If you compare their career stats Brady has more/better: Pro Bowls, pass attempts, completions, touchdowns, TD-INT ratio, and passer rating.

Brady > Montana

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

What astonishes me is Montana's average QB rating of 127.8 along with 11 touchdowns with no interceptions. I don't think those records will ever be broken.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
This is good. Love Montana but I think Brady gets this. Passes to INT's in SB's, Montana was 122-0 though Brady was 206-3, both in 4 games.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
CapitalGator02;n176729 said:
It's impossible to debate QB's from completely different eras. The Brady/Manning conversation is far more appropriate and I'd take Brady, Brees, Rothlisberger, Rodgers, Eli, Flacco, or Wilson, before I'd even consider Manning.

By your list you are confirming the Colts should not have dropped Peyton for Andrew Luck. Interesting.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Another issue is that Montana benefited from a system that was way ahead of everybody else.

Settle down, I'm now saying Montana was a system QB. He would have thrived on any other team in the NFL during his era (or any other era).

BUT...he did have the advantage of being in this system that revolutionized passing offenses in the NFL. It really wasn't until the advent of the zone blitz scheme and the Tampa Cover 2 defense that defenses caught up with the West Coast offense.

When Bill Walsh first rolled that thing out it was unstoppable.

Additionally, Montana had Jerry Rice and Roger Craig. Both perfect for that offense. Even on defense he had Ronnie Lott.

Brady won Super Bowls with a lot of average talent around him but he played in an NFL with a lot of average teams in it. Montana was on a great team that had to play against a few other great teams.

The only way to answer this question is to reverse their roles, imagine Tom Brady as the Niners QB in the 80's and 90's and Joe Montana as the Pats QB in the 00's and 10's.

I think Brady does the same or a bit better as a Bill Walsh Niner. I think Montana does a shade worse as a Belichik Patriot.

Alex.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Where is Ox to fix this title? Colon? Do they even teach grammar to those Inbreds? IT'S ALL ABOUT THE KIFFIN'S!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator