Joel Klatt craps all over the defending "National Champs"

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
lol, you watch the game last nite? 1300 yards of offense. jeez . by no means are they a top 4. last night was the 1st team they played with a winning record. for the record i think they have covered every week :yes:

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
lol, you watch the game last nite? 1300 yards of offense. jeez . by no means are they a top 4. last night was the 1st team they played with a winning record. for the record i think they have covered every week :yes:

Their opponent in that shootout, the Fightin' Side Hats, lost their home opener to a FCS school that is tied for last in their conference currently. Temple and UCF were tied for the lead in their division of the American Conference leading into last night's game. Let that sink in. Power Six, indeed.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Here's the thing: overall, I'd rather them do well and it's not like I have any beef with them. I was glad they beat Auburn and am happy they've built a good program/team.

But the whole "national champions" thing was overdone and makes them look like bush-league amateurs when they keep stomping their foot and demanding attention. A lot of analysts and commentators are blasting them and their fanbase in no small part because of those antics and it turns off neutral fans from supporting them.

Klatt is 100% accurate here: you aren't getting a seat at the table with the 127th ranked schedule. No one should. I understand part of it is bad timing (schedules are made years in advance and there's no way of knowing how good or bad your team will be at that point); but it's why you take that gamble. Boise has scheduled tough opponents from Power 5 schools for years; so have other schools like Northern Illinois (their OOC slate was Iowa, Utah, BYU, and f$u this year). THAT is what it takes to be taken seriously by the selection committee and by fans at large.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The commentators talked about this last night as well. They showed the offensive yardage allowed and basically said their entire argument goes out the window with games like last night. You just can't put up a performance like that, and pull out a close one against Temple, and then make any claim that you'd be fine playing SEC caliber teams week in and week out. It's laughable that it even got to this point in the discussion.

Last edited:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I like UCF and cheer for them. The campus is 10 minutes from my house. But their defense alone should have them out of the top 20. I think last years team was more deserving and I think this years team ranking was just a carry over.

I don’t think the national champ talk by the AD is a bad thing. It gets the school a lot of attention, whether good or bad, and plays well to the people who pay his salary. I hope they go undefeated the rest of the year.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I like UCF and cheer for them. The campus is 10 minutes from my house. But their defense alone should have them out of the top 20. I think last years team was more deserving and I think this years team ranking was just a carry over.

I don’t think the national champ talk by the AD is a bad thing. It gets the school a lot of attention, whether good or bad, and plays well to the people who pay his salary. I hope they go undefeated the rest of the year.

Talking is understandable. Of course, I expect any AD to talk up his school and zealously advocate for them. Write articles, go on sports media outlets, etc. Drive the conversation.

But doing the whole "National Champions" banner at the stadium and associated stunts are just that: stunts to get attention. You lose a lot of neutral support--support that you can't afford to lose btw--by acting that way.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I watched some last night, both QBs showed a lot of accuracy and some of their receivers caught balls that I might think ours would not. It might be a lack of defense that allowed the throws, but those QBs both looked like we could use them. Now of course they are not national champs, perhaps we should invite them next year for a schrimage in the swamp, sort of how bball does things, or the NFL.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Screw them and the horse they rode in on. How dare you come run your mouth to everyone when their down in the State. Then you claim the stupidest title I've ever heard of. Screw em. I hope they perpetually lose. Can't stand their fans either. I hope the program collapses.

Ask.me how I feel about it...

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Talking is understandable. Of course, I expect any AD to talk up his school and zealously advocate for them. Write articles, go on sports media outlets, etc. Drive the conversation.

But doing the whole "National Champions" banner at the stadium and associated stunts are just that: stunts to get attention. You lose a lot of neutral support--support that you can't afford to lose btw--by acting that way.
Meh, he's got nothing to lose. A non-Power 5 school is never going to get a shot at the playoff anyway. At least he's got people talking and debating about it which is a lot better than not talking about it at all. In the end their record and their schedule are all that really matter. If UCF were to be able to schedule a few more Power 5 schools and beat them I think they actually might start changing some minds. But the problem of course is that a lot of Power 5 school don't want to schedule them because they aren't a marquee school that gives you cred to beat nor are they an easy win. They just aren't worth the risk to schedule.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Meh, he's got nothing to lose. A non-Power 5 school is never going to get a shot at the playoff anyway. At least he's got people talking and debating about it which is a lot better than not talking about it at all. In the end their record and their schedule are all that really matter. If UCF were to be able to schedule a few more Power 5 schools and beat them I think they actually might start changing some minds. But the problem of course is that a lot of Power 5 school don't want to schedule them because they aren't a marquee school that gives you cred to beat nor are they an easy win. They just aren't worth the risk to schedule.

Another issue you hear here in the Orlando area is UCF's refusal to do neutral site or two for ones with a power 5 school. That's what we are doing with USF (which is still dumb af in my mind).

In Orlando, there are two types of UCF fans:
  1. People that don't know anything about college football who legitimately fight about he National Champions thing. As I'm from the area, I have a lot of these people on Facebook.
  2. People that know the National Championship is a little much and just use it to troll people.
With that said, I have a special place in my heart for UCF, been watching for years. I'm happy for them, but group of people #2 is what makes it annoying.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
UCF had a game with us a few years ago and they backed out forcing us to play a 1AA Tteam and pay a ton to do it.

I dont think we played them since then in anything, and I don't think we intend to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator