Jones' prep coaches insist he's pro-style QB

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"Everybody’s got him as a dual-threat guy. He’s a pocket passer. Now, he’s a little bit antsy right now, and I know a little bit in the spring, because he told me he was wanting to get out of there and run whenever it was breaking down around him. But his [style] is going to be [to] run when needed and run whenever he has to, and yeah, he is capable of breaking a long one. But his forte back there is letting that thing fly.”

--
Heard County offensive coordinator Randall Curbow

EmoryCK_ihllgs.png

LINK

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Would love somebody back there slinging it all over the place, but that isn't the offense Mullen runs. But at the same time, with this offensive line he will be running it a lot because it will be 'breaking down around him'

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
What I've found odd about EJ is it's hard to find his HS stats. I've seen different stats on different sites, but it seems his team threw the ball around 10 times a game. I understand in HS football if you're running the ball well there's no need to throw it that much. But it seems he ran the ball as many times as he passed....which makes it hard to say he's "not a DT QB". In this day and age of CFB you're either a Pro-style or a DT. It seems he's a DT. If he can pass well, that's a bonus. His coach makes sense, in that his team had little depth.

From the article:

The team’s official release noted that “through the first eight games of his senior season,” Jones completed 61 of 103 passes for 1,197 yards and 10 touchdowns while rushing for 494 yards and 6 TDs.

The numbers provided by the Heard County coaches have Jones credited for 2,270 yards, 16 TDs and 3 INTs on 100-of-176 passing last fall with 129 carries for 891 rushing yards and 13 scores.

For his high school career, Jones had 5,491 passing yards, 1,759 rushing yards and 66 total TDs — 48 passing and 18 rushing.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What I've found odd about EJ is it's hard to find his HS stats. I've seen different stats on different sites, but it seems his team threw the ball around 10 times a game. I understand in HS football if you're running the ball well there's no need to throw it that much. But it seems he ran the ball as many times as he passed....which makes it hard to say he's "not a DT QB". In this day and age of CFB you're either a Pro-style or a DT. It seems he's a DT. If he can pass well, that's a bonus. His coach makes sense, in that his team had little depth.

From the article:

The team’s official release noted that “through the first eight games of his senior season,” Jones completed 61 of 103 passes for 1,197 yards and 10 touchdowns while rushing for 494 yards and 6 TDs.

The numbers provided by the Heard County coaches have Jones credited for 2,270 yards, 16 TDs and 3 INTs on 100-of-176 passing last fall with 129 carries for 891 rushing yards and 13 scores.

For his high school career, Jones had 5,491 passing yards, 1,759 rushing yards and 66 total TDs — 48 passing and 18 rushing.

The most important statistic in high school football is completion percentage. Then I would say TD to INT ratio. He’s excellent in both.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you’re not at least a 60% passer in high school, you will never be an elite QB in CFB.

I’m sure that there have been exceptions now and then – but that’s probably about as hard and fast of a rule is you can get.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Franks threw behind 60% of the receivers last year.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
8-10 were shovel passes and that only happens if the defense puts the safeties in the box to stop the run. Mullinz lets the box count determine the play usually, He is pretty open about it.
Hey, man, that was one of our best weapons from 2007-2009. I'll take the yards any way they come.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Franks threw behind 60% of the receivers last year.
Some of that is on the receivers. You can tell some of their silliness just when you see two receivers run to the same spot. The announcers called it out some and that is just the painfully obvious stuff. If they are missing that bad, you can bet there are 20 things that we don't see. Mullen pulled the Ole Miss transfer after one play in which Franks threw behind him and they were clearly not on the same page.

Not saying it will change or will not. Driskel made a couple of good tosses in the spring game and fall camp that they showed us on twitter, but in the end he was the same ole Driskel under pressure (still is). However, even some of the great ones (Wuerrfel) can look bad as a freshman.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hey, man, that was one of our best weapons from 2007-2009. I'll take the yards any way they come.

Hell, Spurrier did it a bunch, especially early in his tenure at UF (Errict Rhett set some sort of record for "catches" by a RB).

Honestly, if our running game is working there's no need to "air it out". What worries me is falling behind 14+ points; can we comeback w/ our passing game?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree, but it isn't really a pass. It's just an option toss that happens to go forward rather than sideways.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The most important statistic in high school football is completion percentage. Then I would say TD to INT ratio. He’s excellent in both.

I agree w/ that. Will Miles did a write up on that (he does a great job w/ analytics). He's got the numbers to project as an effective college QB. I hope he gets a shot THIS year. I have no confidence in Franks or Trask....

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hell, Spurrier did it a bunch, especially early in his tenure at UF (Errict Rhett set some sort of record for "catches" by a RB).

Honestly, if our running game is working there's no need to "air it out". What worries me is falling behind 14+ points; can we comeback w/ our passing game?
Without excellent blocking, no. That was the rub on Dickey offenses. Frontrunners. My hope is we have some capability through the air.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Without excellent blocking, no. That was the rub on Dickey offenses. Frontrunners. My hope is we have some capability through the air.
It's the knock on any option offense. No way to catch up. High risk (fumbles) low reward. But it's what we have again.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's the knock on any option offense. No way to catch up. High risk (fumbles) low reward. But it's what we have again.
They threw a lot with Prescott. I'll give you your due if it turns out like you predict. Dickey ran the ball a f*ckton, more than I think you realize.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
An option offense is an option offense. A screen pass is just an alternative to the toss sweep. It's all the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.