Jones' prep coaches insist he's pro-style QB

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree, but it isn't really a pass. It's just an option toss that happens to go forward rather than sideways.

So what do you call it on 4th down and the holder tosses it over his head (intending a forward lateral to the placekicker)and it hits the ground ahead of where the holder takes the snap and the ball hits the ground?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So what do you call it on 4th down and the holder tosses it over his head (intending a forward lateral to the placekicker)and it hits the ground ahead of where the holder takes the snap and the ball hits the ground?
That is a Grasseater special. Is a version of four square that only applies to LSU.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
An option offense is an option offense. A screen pass is just an alternative to the toss sweep. It's all the same thing.
Style points no longer matter. Moving the ball is a beautiful thing through land or air. Just get there.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Style points no longer matter. Moving the ball is a beautiful thing through land or air. Just get there.
No, but running into the teeth of SEC offenses who are built to stop the run (with heavy safeties and run stopping first corners and 250-265 lb linebackers) and often incompetent at stopping a pass does change the likelihood of success.

Moving the ball doesn't mean shyt. Scoring is all that matters.

One of the Gators Breakdown Podcast guys did a breakdown on run offenses vs pass offenses. Only pass offenses correlated to scoring points. If I think about it I will try to find it.

But, here we go again.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Forgive the hyperbole. I've gotten desperate in my old age.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

He is going to be a good one, little doubt in my mind. I know it was against some walkons at times but he isnt afraid to work the middle. We need that.

His legs, nice. This offense doesnt move without a QB who isnt AT LEAST the #2 rusher.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
In this day and age of CFB you're either a Pro-style or a DT.

Would you call Deshaun Watson a DT or Pro in college? He threw 38 times per game and ran 11, but he was clearly a dangerous runner. In the NFL he adapted to being a pro QB (until he got hurt.). Same with Dak.

Alex Smith was no runner until Mullen taught him. He’s not a runner now except when needed & safe.

My point is the label doesn’t really matter. If he can be a pocket passer, the fact he can gash defenses and move the chains with his legs just adds to his game.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Would you call Deshaun Watson a DT or Pro in college? He threw 38 times per game and ran 11, but he was clearly a dangerous runner. In the NFL he adapted to being a pro QB (until he got hurt.). Same with Dak.

Alex Smith was no runner until Mullen taught him. He’s not a runner now except when needed & safe.

My point is the label doesn’t really matter. If he can be a pocket passer, the fact he can gash defenses and move the chains with his legs just adds to his game.
Bingo. Great post.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Watson was 100% a DT QB. No other way to look at it...he still is, even in the NFL.

There are many different "spread option" offenses. Some are run heavy (like Meyer & Mullen's preference) and then some pass more. I think it depends on the QB. But my point about CFB recruiting stands; you're either a PRO or DT (go look at the recruiting services). Being a "DT" isn't a bad thing, it essentially means you're more athletic (i.e. not a 'statue' in the pocket). A Tom Brady vs. a Deshaun Watson. An Eli Manning vs. a Cam Newton.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Do you guys think EJ sits out the year to redshirt?

I'm not sure he can afford to redshirt him. Franks will likely start and after he throws three INTs they might put Trask in and while he is better than Franks, its not by much and I think we will need Jones.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I still don't understand how that play stood
Any worse than the Chris Leak so-called fumble versus Auburn when his arm was clearly moving forward? I remember seeing that on instant replay and thinking there is zero chance they do not overrule that.... just like the LSU one bounce pass.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
High School completion % stats with QB rating:

Franks was 56.8% - 124.9
Trask was 73% - 145.5 (BUT only 161 attempts in his entire career)
Driskel was 53.3% - 84.3
Del Rio was 62% - 100.8 (BUT he had 48 TDS and 22 INTs which probably meant he did not have good velocity)
Treon Harris was 62% - 123.8 (Best High school stats on this list by far)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
High School completion % stats with QB rating:

Franks was 56.8% - 124.9
Trask was 73% - 145.5 (BUT only 161 attempts in his entire career)
Driskel was 53.3% - 84.3
Del Rio was 62% - 100.8 (BUT he had 48 TDS and 22 INTs which probably meant he did not have good velocity)
Treon Harris was 62% - 123.8 (Best High school stats on this list by far)

And statistically, he was the best UF QB in that list.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
What worries me is falling behind 14+ points; can we comeback w/ our passing game?

No.

Well...

Maybe.

stoops_cropped-1438890613712.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member