Jones' prep coaches insist he's pro-style QB

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Do you guys think EJ sits out the year to redshirt?

I certainly hope not. The fact is, we are back to square one - yet again. It makes no more sense now to postpone long-term goals (player development, stronger recruiting, offensive continuity, etc.) for an uncertain, short-term gain, than it did when McElwain opted to bring in a parade of misfits and mediocrities to audition at QB. Instead of relying on transfers or other dead-end options (Franks, Trask, etc.), DM, IMO, should be working to recruit and develop a truly talented player himself, ASAP. If Jones needs some time to get up to speed, fine, so be it. If one of the two "incumbents" can do a reasonably solid job pending Jones' "arrival," all the better. But the sooner we turn our efforts to a long-term solution to our continuing woes at QB, the better. And hopefully EJ will soon be joined by other high-ceiling prospects in the upcoming classes. Out with the old, in with the new - full speed ahead. Yada, yada, yada.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No.

Well...

Maybe.

stoops_cropped-1438890613712.jpg
It is easy for you to sit here and judge. But do you have ANY idea how hard it is to remember how many cornerbacks to put on the field with all these hundreds of different defensive schemes?

Yeah... two.

Always two.

Everything else changes, you play different numbers of DEs, DTs, backers, safeties, nickels, but you always play two cornerbacks. Except Kintucky.

Last edited:

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
I certainly hope not. The fact is, we are back to square one - yet again. It makes no more sense now to postpone long-term goals (player development, stronger recruiting, offensive continuity, etc.) for an uncertain, short-term gain, than it did when McElwain opted to bring in a parade of misfits and mediocrities to audition at QB. Instead of relying on transfers or other dead-end options (Franks, Trask, etc.), DM, IMO, should be working to recruit and develop a truly talented player himself, ASAP. If Jones needs some time to get up to speed, fine, so be it. If one of the two "incumbents" can do a reasonably solid job pending Jones' "arrival," all the better. But the sooner we turn our efforts to a long-term solution to our continuing woes at QB, the better. And hopefully EJ will soon be joined by other high-ceiling prospects in the upcoming classes. Out with the old, in with the new - full speed ahead. Yada, yada, yada.
Yeah I will have a lot more hope for the future if EJ gets some real game experience this year. Even if Franks is playing well I think you gotta give Emory Jones some full possessions and more than just one series. I think he needs to play in a road game in SEC play. He needs to get a feel now.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Unless DM can work a miracle with Franks or Trask, we are in no position to redshirt EJ. Even if we can bring in Burrow, I still think that EJ will need to gain some significant experience. We desperately need to bring in a top 10 recruiting class, and the only way to do that is to be competitive and show some excitement on the field. We need to demonstrate a solid direction and progress in this new offence--something to sell to the recruits. I think that starts with putting the best talent on the field.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Burrow ain't coming here.

Franks will continue to be somewhere between not good and awful to the point that Mullen will, sooner rather than later and to Swonk's horror, start Trask for the sake of the passing game and use EJ for the run package with a few passing plays in the young man's playbook.

It'll be Leak/Tebow lite. Very lite. EJ takes over for good 2019, maybe even by the end of the season. He's the only one to throw TDs against live D in the spring game.

Franks is the Fredo of our football family. He could prove me wrong but .....

bJBP0E.gif

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Burrow ain't coming here.

Franks will continue to be somewhere between not good and awful to the point that Mullen will, sooner rather than later and to Swonk's horror, start Trask for the sake of the passing game and use EJ for the run package with a few passing plays in the young man's playbook.

It'll be Leak/Tebow lite. Very lite. EJ takes over for good 2019, maybe even by the end of the season. He's the only one to throw TDs against live D in the spring game.

Franks is the Fredo of our football family. He could prove me wrong but .....

bJBP0E.gif
The gif is a hoot.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Any worse than the Chris Leak so-called fumble versus Auburn when his arm was clearly moving forward? I remember seeing that on instant replay and thinking there is zero chance they do not overrule that.... just like the LSU one bounce pass.

Put a hole in my wall that night. Was still young enough to care to much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.