Just Anounced: Frost to Nebraska

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
HTTP3d3dy5jcmgubm9hYS5nb3YvaW1hZ2VzL2ljdC93eHN0b3J5LzIwMTEvRmViMjAxMXNub3dzdG9ybV9taWNrTG9vcC5naWYlog.gif

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I like Frost a lot, too bad he’s suffering from CTE and thinks Nebraska was a better option. His ceiling there is probably about 8 wins.

UCF should hire Randy Shannon.

I think that is highly likely.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Give Frost two or three seasons in the P5 and let's see if he's the same idealist thinker. Likely not after he gets his cherry popped by the establishment.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
They probably promote from within in an effort to find a guy who will stay.

Agreed. If they go for a guy like Sumlin, as some are reporting, I think they’re setting themselves up for failure and to be used until a bigger job opens up. They need to get into a P5 conference. Until (and if) that happens, they’ll always be a steppingstone job.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Agreed. If they go for a guy like Sumlin, as some are reporting, I think they’re setting themselves up for failure and to be used until a bigger job opens up. They need to get into a P5 conference. Until (and if) that happens, they’ll always be a steppingstone job.

Or as someone suggested make their conference the sixth.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
That’s not happening. The already established P5 conferences aren’t going to split their pie up with a 6th.

An announcer made the suggestion, and of course it might depending on future economics and TV revenues. Not to mention if some of those teams continue at a high level of play and interest. If ESPN could get more for their money they will have to do so.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
An announcer made the suggestion, and of course it might depending on future economics and TV revenues. Not to mention if some of those teams continue at a high level of play and interest. If ESPN could get more for their money they will have to do so.

The P5 schools could just as easily scoop up a worthy non P5 school or two to round out their conference(s), which is easier for them and much less expensive.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
The P5 schools could just as easily scoop up a worthy non P5 school or two to round out their conference(s), which is easier for them and much less expensive.

Yes they could but perhaps those schools have more loyalty than others have had in the past and it really has not worked that well, see the Big 10 for an example.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Yes they could but perhaps those schools have more loyalty than others have had in the past and it really has not worked that well, see the Big 10 for an example.

I’m not following your comment about the Big 10 and I haven’t heard rumblings since the shakeup and expansion took place, please clarify.

For what’s it’s worth, I think if there are future changes, I believe it’s more likely that you’ll see existing P5 conferences add a school here or there or possibly a merger of the 5 existing P5 conferences into 4 super conferences the next time conference realignment comes back en vogue. Things seem to have calmed down since the major realignments 4-5 years ago so I think the super conference idea is on hold but if playoff expansion occurs from 4 teams to 12 or 16 teams in the future maybe it happens. There’s already 64 teams total in the P5 conferences. There doesn’t seem to be much more room nor need to add an entirely new conference with 14 teams. Not many of those new teams really have a chance to realistically compete for a NC, hence cherry picking select teams rather than adding a whole new conference. Just my opinion.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I’m not following your comment about the Big 10 and I haven’t heard rumblings since the shakeup and expansion took place, please clarify.

For what’s it’s worth, I think if there are future changes, I believe it’s more likely that you’ll see existing P5 conferences add a school here or there or possibly a merger of the 5 existing P5 conferences into 4 super conferences the next time conference realignment comes back en vogue. Things seem to have calmed down since the major realignments 4-5 years ago so I think the super conference idea is on hold but if playoff expansion occurs from 4 teams to 12 or 16 teams in the future maybe it happens. There’s already 64 teams total in the P5 conferences. There doesn’t seem to be much more room nor need to add an entirely new conference with 14 teams. Not many of those new teams really have a chance to realistically compete for a NC, hence cherry picking select teams rather than adding a whole new conference. Just my opinion.

Nebraska, Rutgers, Maryland. All added little to nothing and would be better off where they were. Since you have no chance of being much other than another wimp why not stick together were you could be a large fish in a smaller lake.

Just my nontraditional take on things.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Nebraska, Rutgers, Maryland. All added little to nothing and would be better off where they were. Since you have no chance of being much other than another wimp why not stick together were you could be a large fish in a smaller lake.

Just my nontraditional take on things.

But Neb. and Maryland were already P5 programs, they just jumped from 1 P5 oonfetence (Big 12 & ACC respectively) to another (B10). If non-P5 wimps (even if they’re the cream of the crop wimps) stick together and form a 6th conference, they’re still a conference full of wimps and I don’t see the P5 conferences voluntarily inviting them into the club as a P6 conference. That’s my take. We’ll never know for certain, though, unless it actually happens.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
But Neb. and Maryland were already P5 programs, they just jumped from 1 P5 oonfetence (Big 12 & ACC respectively) to another (B10). If non-P5 wimps (even if they’re the cream of the crop wimps) stick together and form a 6th conference, they’re still a conference full of wimps and I don’t see the P5 conferences voluntarily inviting them into the club as a P6 conference. That’s my take. We’ll never know for certain, though, unless it actually happens.

Which is in my mind evidence that jumping does not create benefits for those who jump, but rather those already at the top of their piles. If they can attract interest from their fans they can make money, are they a sixth why would they care.

Stick together or hand separately.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If I knew this 30 years ago, the credit card charges I could have avoided.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.