Just for grins, let's go head coach shopping

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
SOS wasnt even calling his own offense by then and frankly SOSJr was dreadful at it.

No one worships SOS and Fun and Gun football more than me but SOS the aging CEO type coach wasnt great. Good enough to win a very weak east and beat Bammer once, no small feat at the second school in So Cacalaka, but still he wasnt great. Despite beating Dabo regularly, Dabo recruited harder and better and built a national contender. SOS did not.

I want SOS the young, wildest most aggressive OC. He wasnt that anymore. Would he have been dofferent back at UF, I doubt it. He always said he didnt want to be like 70 year old Bobby Bowden out there embarrassing himself.

Certainly you have underlined the risk. Bill Snyder is the upside possibility.

Remember Spurrier coming to UF would be starting again not Spurrier 27 years in a t UF. That could well make a difference. I guess it is true that more of the coming home again coaches do not work out. And heck he might not take the job, but I certainly prefer Spurrier to getting another Foley 3rd or 4th choice.

MTGator

Lifetime Member
Sep 11, 2017
bc he's one of the absolute sh*ttiest coaches in football, can't recruit to save his life, runs a crap offense, loses constantly, is a candyass, and runs down our school at every opportunity available. Fck that guy. Clear enough for you?

Well, he has a small and limited talent pool to recruit in Mississippi and coaches in the most difficult and competitive division in college football.
He ran a pretty good offense at Florida, if you remember and has produced good college QB's (Tebow, Leak, Smith, that dude from Bowling Green)
Dak's last year averaged over 300 yds passing per game. Amazing what you can do with talent on the roster and he was. 3 star recruit.
Has coached an FBS school, not an assistant.
Not a pipe dream (Saban, Harbaugh, Kelly SOS (who is done anyway and a bad choice at this stage) and is obtainable.
We can disagree, but just saying he sucks and is a candyass just seems weak to support your position.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I do give him credit for the game plan at Doak in 2008. Meyer wanted to go conservative in the muck, Mullen said eff it, we're gonna throw the ball. We threw the ball and blew them out.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Well, he has a small and limited talent pool to recruit in Mississippi and coaches in the most difficult and competitive division in college football.
He ran a pretty good offense at Florida, if you remember and has produced good college QB's (Tebow, Leak, Smith, that dude from Bowling Green)
Dak's last year averaged over 300 yds passing per game. Amazing what you can do with talent on the roster and he was. 3 star recruit.
Has coached an FBS school, not an assistant.
Not a pipe dream (Saban, Harbaugh, Kelly SOS (who is done anyway and a bad choice at this stage) and is obtainable.
We can disagree, but just saying he sucks and is a candyass just seems weak to support your position.
how bout the fact that the entire fan base wanted him fired when he was the O coord here for sucking. firedanmullen.com was a thing.

I can promise you, you're alone in this Mullen fixation. There isn't a single poster on this board that wants him. And it's because he sucks.

MTGator

Lifetime Member
Sep 11, 2017
That seems like a lifetime ago, when we threw the ball I mean. I'm starting to miss Zook's 18 bubble screens every game.

MTGator

Lifetime Member
Sep 11, 2017
I'm not sure if a few frequent posters wanting him fires qualifies as the entire fan base. As I recall that was the beginning of Meyer's odd demise which ate away at every aspect of the team. I can make a firedurtysouthswamp.com and just because it's there doesn't make it a "thing", or at least not something I would rely on to make a point.
The question is "who should be our next coach?", or something along those lines. For the point of discussion, realistic options should be considered and not light sabre carrying unicorns like Dan Quinn and Saban. If there is going to be a change there should be a plan with definite direction. Change for the sake of change is nothing but false hope.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure if a few frequent posters wanting him fires qualifies as the entire fan base. As I recall that was the beginning of Meyer's odd demise which ate away at every aspect of the team. I can make a firedurtysouthswamp.com and just because it's there doesn't make it a "thing", or at least not something I would rely on to make a point.
The question is "who should be our next coach?", or something along those lines. For the point of discussion, realistic options should be considered and not light sabre carrying unicorns like Dan Quinn and Saban. If there is going to be a change there should be a plan with definite direction. Change for the sake of change is nothing but false hope.
thats exactly what hiring Mullen would be. Why don't you start a poll asking who would be on board with Mullen? Put your money where your mouth is. And don't forget ham sammich, there's gonna be a lot of folks looking for that option.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
As I recall that was the beginning of Meyer's odd demise which ate away at every aspect of the team.
You're confusing correlation with causation. The cause of the offense sucking was that we had no Percy Harvin at tailback, not Dan Mullet leaving. Teams COULD devote one or even two spies on Tebow and it stopped the offense.

Mullet has been in the running for last place offense in the SEC in almost every year.

The next problem is the roster. Let's say Mullet wasn't a scrotum with ears and actually managed to run a good offense, the roster has zero parts to run an option offense. Zero. Who is playing QB? Zaire. I guess we can pray for another year waiver for him. Behind him? Even smaller guys. Mullet's offense requires a fullback/QB combo. We have none. I guess we can take tryouts from the TEs.

OL? Those big slow guys, designed for an up the middle run game, useless in a sideways spread. Useless. We'd be in for a 3 rebuild even if Mullet were a good recruiter....

Which he isn't.

There is no upside to hiring another 100+ offensive coordinator. It would be an insane move.

Last edited:

MTGator

Lifetime Member
Sep 11, 2017
You're confusing correlation with causation.

You are probably correct, my point was that I don't recall the entire fan base, or even a large part of them, calling for Mullen to be fired. Also, responsibility ultimately lies with the HC and I doubt Mullen suddenly forgot how to run what was previously a pretty potent offense. We have not had an offense as productive as Mullen's (most games) since he left. Meyer went in the tank and since him it's been little Saban's trying to replicate his program, which also relies on twice as many coaches, advisors, consultants, etc., at higher pay, than most other programs.

MTGator

Lifetime Member
Sep 11, 2017
thats exactly what hiring Mullen would be. Why don't you start a poll asking who would be on board with Mullen? Put your money where your mouth is. And don't forget ham sammich, there's gonna be a lot of folks looking for that option.

Like I said, I might be totally off base and wrong, but I don't believe so. I'm not sure what a poll asked to a group of people (not all of you of course) that take more pleasure in bashing than they do discussing would do. As for a sandwich or "sammich", I really don't get that correlation, causation, castration or whatever it is in relation to Mullen.
I was hoping to have a discussion, learn why there is such little support (hate) for Mullen and find out why I am not as smart as guys like you. A few months ago (yep, lurker) Ox asked why it seemed to be only a few individuals making the vast majority of the posts and why there wasn't more contributors. (It was something along those lines, sorry for any misquote/paraphrase if I am mistaken.) I believe (again could be wrong) that a more conversational tone instead of constant bashing and baseless opinions, would influence more people to contribute. However, when responses are nothing more than "you are an idiot", simplistic emojis and nothing of substance or debate, why would someone feel compelled to contribute? If you are just one of those guys that bashes people that's fine and I can take it, but wouldn't it be more satisfying and fun to rip me apart and belittle my opinions with facts, or at least defensible opinions?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
L and find out why I am not as smart as guys like you
We aren't really looking for smart posters. We'd really like you to entertain us with wit and sarcasm.

There really isn't interesting about talking about Gators football right now, or at any time this decade. That's why the other boards are dead.

Sit down, have a beer and stay a while.

MTGator

Lifetime Member
Sep 11, 2017
You're confusing correlation with causation. The cause of the offense sucking was that we had no Percy Harvin at tailback, not Dan Mullet leaving. Teams COULD devote one or even two spies on Tebow and it stopped the offense.

Mullet has been in the running for last place offense in the SEC in almost every year.

The next problem is the roster. Let's say Mullet wasn't a scrotum with ears and actually managed to run a good offense, the roster has zero parts to run an option offense. Zero. Who is playing QB? Zaire. I guess we can pray for another year waiver for him. Behind him? Even smaller guys. Mullet's offense requires a fullback/QB combo. We have none. I guess we can take tryouts from the TEs.

OL? Those big slow guys, designed for an up the middle run game, useless in a sideways spread. Useless. We'd be in for a 3 rebuild even if Mullet were a good recruiter....

Which he isn't.

There is no upside to hiring another 100+ offensive coordinator. It would be an insane move.

I agree the current roster would be a problem with his offense. Still, it is much more athletic than what he currently has and I would say we likely have a QB that can run it well enough for a year or two. There would be a transition phase obviously, but I'd like to hire a coach with eyes on 20 years of stability and if that requires a couple of 8-4's so be it. Under the current staff I think that is our ceiling anyway. Personally, I wouldn't hire a guy just to plug into this talent base. It would be a consideration but not really play a significant factor.
I see where you are coming from, I just disagree to the extent that I think Mullen's offense would work (as would he as coach) in the long term with a rich talent base to choose from in Florida as well as national recruits.
I admit I may be biased as I like the spread offense in college.

MTGator

Lifetime Member
Sep 11, 2017
We aren't really looking for smart posters. We'd really like you to entertain us with wit and sarcasm.

There really isn't interesting about talking about Gators football right now, or at any time this decade. That's why the other boards are dead.

Sit down, have a beer and stay a while.

I never said I was smart, I just talk a lot and can't shut up. I will be sure to offer baseless rants as well, it just seemed this thread was more suitable for a discussion.
It is sad, even when we win it's usually no fun to watch and the worst 3+ hours of football all weekend. It's a shame that the best passing at UF happens in the O'Dome and not the Swamp.
And thanks, I'm looking forward to offering nothing of value here. Go Gators!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I see where you are coming from, I just disagree to the extent that I think Mullen's offense would work (as would he as coach) in the long term with a rich talent base to choose from in Florida as well as national recruits.
I admit I may be biased as I like the spread offense in college.
Talent rich doesn't matter. Talent doesn't come to that offense. It was one of the reasons we couldn't land WRs or RBs after the first two years. It was obvious they were just going to be blocking for the QB who was going to run 30 times.

You can like spread offenses all you want. I like spread offenses too, especially if they have a strong vertical aspect also. We are talking about Mullet/Meyers/Bob DAvie's offenses. I don't like it at all. If you have an all-century player or two it works, anything would work with them, but it has been terrible over a long period of time now.

I'm a pretty hardcore Gator fanatic. For me, if we hired Mullet, I'd turn it off and come back in 3 years. I'm not watching more of this shyt.

MTGator

Lifetime Member
Sep 11, 2017
Talent rich doesn't matter. Talent doesn't come to that offense. It was one of the reasons we couldn't land WRs or RBs after the first two years. It was obvious they were just going to be blocking for the QB who was going to run 30 times.

You can like spread offenses all you want. I like spread offenses too, especially if they have a strong vertical aspect also. We are talking about Mullet/Meyers/Bob DAvie's offenses. I don't like it at all. If you have an all-century player or two it works, anything would work with them, but it has been terrible over a long period of time now.

Well, Meyer brings in top 10 classes every year running basically the same offense with some wrinkles, including top offensive talent. I agree I'd prefer a more vertical game as well, but again I don't think Mullen has much to choose from to run against the rest of the West. From 2014-2016 MSU's offense finished 10th, 34th and 44th (yards) and over 30 pts per game each year. This being with limited talent and playing against the West's D's. I don't think his offense is bad, definitely not as bad as some believe.
I'm not against bringing in someone else, but who else is a realistic possibility with, what I believe anyway, has a track record of at least some success in the SEC or another power 5 conference? It's so bad that I'm almost wanting P, Pe, Petrino.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
what I believe anyway, has a track record of at least some success in the SEC or another power 5 conference?
I don't know what success you think Mullet has had. His record against ranked teams is abysmal, like 2-28 or something. He has no out of state FSU type opponent on his schedule and just plays 4 geographics schools plus Kentucky every year. That is 5 of the 7 wins he gets.

Yes, Mullet did ok for a couple of years when he had a good fullback QB, Dak, at Cowbell. As usual, his QBs and offense got worse the longer he had him. That says really all you need to know.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Well, Meyer brings in top 10 classes every year running basically the same offense with some wrinkles, including top offensive talent. I agree I'd prefer a more vertical game as well, but again I don't think Mullen has much to choose from to run against the rest of the West. From 2014-2016 MSU's offense finished 10th, 34th and 44th (yards) and over 30 pts per game each year. This being with limited talent and playing against the West's D's. I don't think his offense is bad, definitely not as bad as some believe.
I'm not against bringing in someone else, but who else is a realistic possibility with, what I believe anyway, has a track record of at least some success in the SEC or another power 5 conference? It's so bad that I'm almost wanting P, Pe, Petrino.
See post #232
Well looking at the list of names presented in this thread there are some names we can rule out on the first cut. We want a proven head coach (preferably P5), with a history of winning, improving at each stop as a coordinator or HC, 10-15 years left in the tank and preferably an offensive pedigree.
Sure if we can get Spurrier/Stoops/Saban/Meyer/Kelly/Knute Rockne that would be great.
BTW remember what a hot commodity Tom Herman was? Let's see how that pans out.

Charlie Strong - Failed on the big stage once already
Mike Gundy - 11 years at OSU, 150-50. scores points.
Justin Fuentes - Unimpressive record at Memphis (26-23) and has been at Va Tech one year. Definitely unproven.
Ken Niumatalo - Navy? Flexbone? I don't think so.
Larry Fedora - 10 years as a HC, 5 years P5, not a terrible record, 54 years old, UF pedigree, former OC. Passes first cut.
Kyle Wittingham - 14 years at Utah, west coast guy, DC, 57 years old is a little too old, nothing really stands out about him
Mike Leach - 30-34 at Washington. Has only one 10 win season in 16 seasons as a HC
Gary Patterson - 57 yo, 150-54 in 16 years at TCU, DC. Meh
P.J. Fleck - Young, 30-22 at W. Mich, unproven
D.J. Durkin - One year at Maryland, 6-7, DC. No
Scott Frost - Check back in 5-10 years

So that leaves the short list:
Gundy
Fedora

I'd add Franklin to that list. He won at Vandy and is winnig at PSU.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Like I said, I might be totally off base and wrong, but I don't believe so. I'm not sure what a poll asked to a group of people (not all of you of course) that take more pleasure in bashing than they do discussing would do. As for a sandwich or "sammich", I really don't get that correlation, causation, castration or whatever it is in relation to Mullen.
I was hoping to have a discussion, learn why there is such little support (hate) for Mullen and find out why I am not as smart as guys like you. A few months ago (yep, lurker) Ox asked why it seemed to be only a few individuals making the vast majority of the posts and why there wasn't more contributors. (It was something along those lines, sorry for any misquote/paraphrase if I am mistaken.) I believe (again could be wrong) that a more conversational tone instead of constant bashing and baseless opinions, would influence more people to contribute. However, when responses are nothing more than "you are an idiot", simplistic emojis and nothing of substance or debate, why would someone feel compelled to contribute? If you are just one of those guys that bashes people that's fine and I can take it, but wouldn't it be more satisfying and fun to rip me apart and belittle my opinions with facts, or at least defensible opinions?
lighten up Francis, it's a fan message board.

MTGator

Lifetime Member
Sep 11, 2017
Ugh. If Gundy and Fedora are our only two choices I'd start looking for June Jones number in Canada. I don't think Gundy would leave and considering how great his offenses have been he has never won anything meaningful other than a Billy Ray Cyrus karaoke contest.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Ugh. If Gundy and Fedora are our only two choices I'd start looking for June Jones number in Canada. I don't think Gundy would leave and considering how great his offenses have been he has never won anything meaningful other than a Billy Ray Cyrus karaoke contest.
and yet you want mullet :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.