Just for grins, let's go head coach shopping

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
We aren't in position to turn up our noses at Chip Kelly. Besides, his defenses at Oregon were solid.
Yeah, I wasn't referencing Chip Kelly. I don't mind an offensive minded coach. Just be competent enough to hire good defensive coaches. Big12 coaches just doesn't even acknowledge defense as an important aspect of the game.

Sundaysunday

Jul 27, 2014
Well, I'll mention the guy no one has talked about: Josh McDaniel. How is it he has an OL that never let's Brady get his jersey dirty. McDaniel would be my choice. But I have to say Franklin would be cool too but the train left the station on that one....

I'm starting to the think an NFL guy could do the trick. We actually won games when Quinn was our D Coordinator. I will selectively forget about Fat Charlie.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
What a thread, my comments without quoting each person:

A. I am in the no Fedora camp. I have never understood the infatuation with him. And of course Strong would not be on my list either.

B. I agree that the Muschamp hire made more sense at the time from the point of view of a UF administrator than the McElwain hired did. That said, McElwain, as terrible as he is, is better than Muschamp in my view. So despite trying, UF did not do worse after Muschamp.

C. I was thinking today who would have believed in the Fall of 1984, that a current UF employee would later become AD and high back to back football coaches based in large part on their UAL connection and a desire to copy UAL. If you were following UF in 1984, it is just mind boggling.

D. As for the various coaches listed, I like Kelly, Gundy, Fuente and I am sure there are other good candidates out there.

E. Frost might be like McElwain a guy that thinks so little of UF, he does not even include them on his buy out exemption list.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hindu already makes over $4 million and Pickens will pay more to keep him. Add to that we don't pay top dollar for hires; it's not happening.
Him and pickens dont exactly like each other.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Worrying about how good or bad our defense will be should not even be a consideration for a head coaching candidate. If the new head coach can recruit like most UF coaches before McElwain, we'll have the athletes to have a top 20 defense.

We need to clean house on the offensive side of the ball and bring in a proven head coach that knows offense. This sh*t-show needs to come to and end asap!

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm watching Frost.
The timing of his rise and Mac demise could match up perfectly, and being at UCF, he may be making the connections we will need in recruiting in Florida.

We'll see what he does this season.

Yup. My choice. I've seen enough of him already to know he's going to be a very hot commodity very soon and already better than what we've got by a large margin. He recruits well, his players love him, he actually knows offense and it shows and his players are big , fast and well coached.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Fuente is too late and would be too expensive for us to start b/c its how we roll. Hate Fedora, but you are entitled to your opinion. watch his games and he sux at game management. And cares ZERO about defense. Single handedly loses games he should win by calling silly plays when things are working. Love the guy at Navy, but those guys are usually married to the triple option. I thought Paul Johnson would tweak his system to a more read offense when he left Navy for GT, but he has not. I was wrong, and you can't win with that at the highest D-1 level anymore. I am not a fan of Gundy, but I understand the talk. No opinion on Whittingham. Not saying your list is bad, I just would have liked to see us take a shot at Harbaugh 3 years ago when he was out there. Or to have called David Shaw. Look it can be done. Look at how the guy at Colorado has really straigtened things out there in 3 years and that place was a complete trainwreck. Finding the guy is the answer. Fooley clearly had ZERO eye for under the radar talent. I doubt Stricklin does either.

Harbaugh was never coming here. He wanted to coach at Michigan because that is where he played.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Fuente's not leaving Va Tech to come here.

Kelly is going to get hired by A&M or ND.

Fleck's buyout is rather large I think. Frost?

I don't think Stricklin has the balls to can Mac with Foley looking over his shoulder. Foley's gonna screw us and screw us...probably until he kicks the bucket. Retired my ass.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This thread in itself is depressing.... I haven't seen one name that really stands out.

Fleck is still unproven
Gundy hasn't even won theBig12

I just doesn't seem like there is a great coach out there, yet we know what we have isn't working... I feel like we could be in for another 5 or 6 years of bad football

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.