Just returned from Atlanta: Three Game Observations

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Just returned to NC from that display of football that resembled afterbirth. Three quick points to make:

(1) We had receivers running WIDE open all over the field in the first half. Our QB, who is and plays like a backup QB from Purdue, never saw them, and, on the occasion or two that he did, threw behind them by 10 feet (pick) or overthrew them out of bounds. Perhaps with even an average QB, one or two of those wide open receivers would be found.

(2) For all of the talk over the past two years of 'professionalism in the entire organization' and similar bull****, our team is poorly coached in every facet. Mac's little Duncechump like tirade at the official added a classy touch, as well as three assistants I saw jawing with the refs, including one, I believe was Nuss, running almost 50 yards down the sideline screaming at an official. Bush league, pure bush league. This, in addition to basic fundamentals such as blocking and tackling that are nonexistent.

(3) Alabama will not win the national championship (see #1 above). Their secondary is injury-depleted. If we can get people open, you know Urban, Dabo, or the Huskies will, especially with four weeks prep time.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
It's been the case all year of receivers being open but nobody to get them the ball. Mac and company have been a joke, a bad joke, another bad joke, and did I mention they were a joke? Yes, Bama can be beat. Florida's beat down was no indication of their vulnerability. A good passing team would have put them away early. You wont see any QBs in the playoffs even remotely as inept as Appleby.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just returned to NC from that display of football that resembled afterbirth. Three quick points to make:

(1) We had receivers running WIDE open all over the field in the first half. Our QB, who is and plays like a backup QB from Purdue, never saw them, and, on the occasion or two that he did, threw behind them by 10 feet (pick) or overthrew them out of bounds. Perhaps with even an average QB, one or two of those wide open receivers would be found.

(2) For all of the talk over the past two years of 'professionalism in the entire organization' and similar bull****, our team is poorly coached in every facet. Mac's little Duncechump like tirade at the official added a classy touch, as well as three assistants I saw jawing with the refs, including one, I believe was Nuss, running almost 50 yards down the sideline screaming at an official. Bush league, pure bush league. This, in addition to basic fundamentals such as blocking and tackling that are nonexistent.

(3) Alabama will not win the national championship (see #1 above). Their secondary is injury-depleted. If we can get people open, you know Urban, Dabo, or the Huskies will, especially with four weeks prep time.

Good points GW.

I think this is why many say another QB and this UF team is different. I can see that rationale to a degree. It can help cover up a lot of issues by simply having someone that can deliver the ball. Grier was a good example of that. Bad OL, Decent QB, but he was able to deliver the ball. I still think of the Ole Piss game. This is a huge part of the issue. If this is done that is one huge step back to decent play. O plays better, keeps the D rest, and so on.

This staff needs and overhaul and a blood transfusion. Nuss, Sommers, and Nord need their pink slips. If not this is on Mac period. The offseason will tell me alot here if no changes. I don't have an issue with Mac chewing the refs azz and for the most part they deserved it. They missed MANY calls like holding, blocks in the back, targeting, etc. If Verne Lundquist can see a block in the back and call it, pretty bad. But Mac's antics with this type of play won't get him any points.

I agree with BAMA and the vulnerability in their secondary. Where they compensate is the pass rush. That will be the only thing that will save them unless they get their players back. Any team that can capitalize on that will beat them.

Good Post.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
That pass that AA threw 5 yds behind Callaway had the potential to be a TD. Had he been led properly and caught the ball in stride I think he could have beaten the safety to the sideline and taken it to the house. 14 pt turnaround.
Everyone knows the coaches suck ass, that's the reason we are bleeding to death with recruits. They don't see us getting better going forward and that's a direct reflection on the staff. I don't see Mac firing anyone so it's gonna be a long miserable ride.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
Right now it's all on Stricklin. Left to his own devices Mac will change nothing and wait for the team to implode. Stricklin has the option of firing Mac or forcing Mac to fire some assistants and hopefully hire people capable of rescuing the program. We should find out in the next week or two. If Stricklin waits until after the bowl game it will be too late to find good assistants.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Nuss needs to go but I wonder if Mac will pull the trigger. A passing team can definitely score on Bama some but I got the feeling Bama wasn't too fired up to play us and may be a little more formidable once the playoff starts. OSU is the team I think will have hard time scoring against Bama and would have to really shut Bama down to have a chance to win a low scoring game.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
That pass that AA threw 5 yds behind Callaway had the potential to be a TD. Had he been led properly and caught the ball in stride I think he could have beaten the safety to the sideline and taken it to the house. 14 pt turnaround.
Everyone knows the coaches suck ass, that's the reason we are bleeding to death with recruits. They don't see us getting better going forward and that's a direct reflection on the staff. I don't see Mac firing anyone so it's gonna be a long miserable ride.
Right on Diehard. The Avatar too. I just finished watching Sling Blade again. Come to think of it, Carl is smarter than Mac and a better passer the AA. And I like the way he talks.:):)

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
As head football coach, this program is in Mac's hands -- everything from top to bottom -- assistants, recruiting, conditioning, game planning, player development, you name it. It appears that he is singularly incapable of managing all of this and is incapable of making game changing decisions. With the generally poor QB play we have seen from the two transfer rejects, I am still perplexed at why he has not played Trask or Franks to see, if by some miracle, they could do something good on the field. If someone can explain that to me I would appreciate it because I simply do not understand it.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
If receivers are running around open then obviously the schemes are there. I wouldn't put this problem all on Nuss, unless you are talking about quarterback development.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Right on Diehard. The Avatar too. I just finished watching Sling Blade again. Come to think of it, Carl is smarter than Mac and a better passer the AA. And I like the way he talks.:):)

Trivia. Did you know Billy Bob Thornton used no mask nor make-up to create the character Karl? I saw him do it live on camera on some talk show. It was amazing to see him "become" Karl right before your eyes.

I found it! It starts right around the 2:45 mark in this video. It's quite impressive.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
If receivers are running around open then obviously the schemes are there. I wouldn't put this problem all on Nuss, unless you are talking about quarterback development.

I think the schemes are working sometimes but I also think that nobody respects our passing game and arent to worried our QB can get them the ball.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Receivers are open because defenses don't respect our offense/qb. That will change quickly if/when we ever have a competent offense.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Receivers are open because defenses don't respect our offense/qb. That will change quickly if/when we ever have a competent offense.

Not sure I buy that at all.

Yea, after further thought, that's just not true.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Not sure I buy that at all.

Yea, after further thought, that's just not true.

So...if our qb is better and shows he can make passes, unlike the last 7 years, DBs will still play soft and our receivers will we "wide open". Yeah, you're right.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
So...if our qb is better and shows he can make passes, unlike the last 7 years, DBs will still play soft and our receivers will we "wide open". Yeah, you're right.

Our route combos are great, so yes we will still have guys open. Plus, nobody can cover Callaway so he will be able to get open regardless brah

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I thought about going to Atlanta again, myself. I thought better of it and just closed my d!ck in a car door. Same same.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014

As a DB you never play soft because you don't respect the QB. The last thing you want is for a bad QB to find himself against you because you are playing soft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator