Justifiable negativity has overtaken the board

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some of yall seem and sound like we have been 4-8 the past couple of years. With this thread, we are now just like GSMB. Is our football program where it needs to be? NO. Will things change to where we can win more than 9 or 10 games with Mac as the head coach? Probably not. I assume there are some other programs out there that would LOVE to win 9 or 10 games who only won 4 games this past year like Notre Dame. I guess we gotta hope we go 4-8 the next 2 years to get rid of Mac but by then ALOT of yall would have jumped to your doom by then.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We are not allowed to feel good about anything or want to feel good about winning. Winning is not allowed. Its not pretty the way we win so we have to lose all games to get changes to come about. Spurrier winning 10 games a year wasn't enough and now winning 10 games isn't enough.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Age 5, I had a Heinz 57 wire-haired terrier. United forces couldn't keep him away from me.
His "at-my-sideness" caused me much embarrassment. Sunday, church deacons volunteered to
stay outside to reject "Teddy". So our pastor is speeching the dedication of our new baptysmal
(just there, behind those long wine-colored drapes). He turns arm-sweep gesturing, the curtains
open displaying a glass-front pool, ice-blue water and Teddy's face turned to the congregation.
I'm sure he was staring at that water figuring how he could get a drink, when the magic of the
curtains opening caused him to turn to the crowd. Everybody knew Teddy. Everybody gave a
good ole Christian fellowship laugh. It seems with deacon-guarded front doors, Teddy found a
long board some carpenter left slanting into an open window at the backof the church. Teddy just
waltzed up. The church body finally gave up hampering Teddy's church access; it must've been
the will of God.

So, sitting in my pew waiting for my name to be called to get my "perfect attendance" Vacation Bible School diploma, my pastor called out "Teddy Harrison" and I had to march up to get Teddy's perfect attendance diploma; of course Teddy marched right by me.

That small community was called Cantonment, (Pensacola outpost). For Homecoming (I'm still 5),
the Moms of us 5 y.o.s sewed animal costumes, Dads built wood-slat cages atop red wagons. They were all strung together and pulled by tractor across the FB field like some circus parade. In front of
all those people shy me was fine. I was in disguise, no one knew who was who. Then, I heard a
wave of laughter wafting along the stands. I saw people pointing. I looked down the line and there, sniffing every cage, came Teddy. When he got to my cage he popped loose 2 slats and crowded in with me. I was the only creature everybody identified.
Rog, that is great! Reads like a good book, turned movie... BTW, My home town is Pensacola and most of my wife's "ken-folk" come from Cantonment. Pretty cool you have roots in that neat little Mill town.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
This is deja vu...I really feel like CHump's 11-1 season. He was the next Meyer/Saban/Bear Bryant. No one wanted to peel back the surface and see everything for what it was...you wanna feel good? Go to church on Sundays.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Its hard to be too hopeful going forward if Mac doesnt end up with at least a top 5 SEC recruiting class this year. You aren't going to win SEC Championships if you can't do that most years even if you find a decent QB.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Rog, that is great! Reads like a good book, turned movie... BTW, My home town is Pensacola and most of my wife's "ken-folk" come from Cantonment. Pretty cool you have roots in that neat little Mill town.

The original paper mill was built and owned by a private owner. He built a string of Jim Walter like 3 bedroom
homes along streets headed straight to the mill. He rented them to everybody for $50/month. Dad was the
superintendant and walked to work, lunch pail in hand. When the day's end whistle blew, my sister and I could
hang over our white picket fence and watch Dad walking home. Perfect community arrangement. The owner just
fell in love with golf. So our houses were on the golf course he built ($50/month). Out our picture
window, I watched him playing in a horrendous hailstorm.

At some point St. Regis "bought" him out, but all they wanted was the employees. So my entire neighborhood, friends, classmates and all moved to Jacksonville when I (& they) were 6 years old.
We were all born there in Cantonment ('45 post-war baby boom). I had the same Cantonment classmates all the way in Jax. (And Teddy too.) All of us went to Lake Forest Elementary where
Teddy waited 'til 3:30 in his cool-dirt hole 'neath the shade-roofed bike-rack. We graduated together from Ribault. Rare circumstances in life.

PS>> The kid 2 houses down from me in Cantonment (2 years older) Jimmy Thomas, became head
of Shands Hospital. Jimmy's Dad taught me to play tennis in Jax.

Last edited:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Discontent, blaming, complaining, self-pity cannot serve as a foundation for a good future, no matter how much effort you make. - Eckhart Tolle

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Handling%20the%20Grumps.jpg

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
My true fear is that we keep Mac long enough that we become Nebraska and we never truly recover. Nebraska used to be an elite program until 2001 when all of the players from Tom Osborne was gone. They have never been the same since. It's been 16 years since they've even win a conference championship and they've never been in the discussion for a national title.

It's clear Mac can't recruit players or coaches to UF. When you bring the talent level down to low it can kill the program because kids don't want to take the leap to be the 1st class to turn things around. I fear were already getting to that point and I think everyone leaving early for the NFL is our players saying it's getting to that point now and they don't see any kind of future under Mac so they left. If we continue to recruit this bad and keep coaches around that have no business coaching at FL we will fall to far behind and who knows if we would recover

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Some of yall seem and sound like we have been 4-8 the past couple of years. With this thread, we are now just like GSMB. Is our football program where it needs to be? NO. Will things change to where we can win more than 9 or 10 games with Mac as the head coach? Probably not. I assume there are some other programs out there that would LOVE to win 9 or 10 games who only won 4 games this past year like Notre Dame. I guess we gotta hope we go 4-8 the next 2 years to get rid of Mac but by then ALOT of yall would have jumped to your doom by then.

Yes I am sure a turnaround to just 4 losses consistently going forward would be acceptable to fans of teams like ND and LSU etc.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I've said this for a while now. We are stuck with Mac through 2018 or sometime during that season if he craps the bed. He knows and I fear that. He has to a degree no sense of urgency. He knows he's got two back to back SEC E titles so he's resting on that. IMO with a simple replacement of a couple key staff changes he'd possibly turn this thing around. The recruiting, coaching, and attitude would be different. I am resigned to that fact that we are stuck for a while. And a lot of the negativity is deserved. But I do also hold out hope for change and improvement.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Age 5, I had a Heinz 57 wire-haired terrier. United forces couldn't keep him away from me.
His "at-my-sideness" caused me much embarrassment. Sunday, church deacons volunteered to
stay outside to reject "Teddy". So our pastor is speeching the dedication of our new baptysmal
(just there, behind those long wine-colored drapes). He turns arm-sweep gesturing, the curtains
open displaying a glass-front pool, ice-blue water and Teddy's face turned to the congregation.
I'm sure he was staring at that water figuring how he could get a drink, when the magic of the
curtains opening caused him to turn to the crowd. Everybody knew Teddy. Everybody gave a
good ole Christian fellowship laugh. It seems with deacon-guarded front doors, Teddy found a
long board some carpenter left slanting into an open window at the backof the church. Teddy just
waltzed up. The church body finally gave up hampering Teddy's church access; it must've been
the will of God.

So, sitting in my pew waiting for my name to be called to get my "perfect attendance" Vacation Bible School diploma, my pastor called out "Teddy Harrison" and I had to march up to get Teddy's perfect attendance diploma; of course Teddy marched right by me.

That small community was called Cantonment, (Pensacola outpost). For Homecoming (I'm still 5),
the Moms of us 5 y.o.s sewed animal costumes, Dads built wood-slat cages atop red wagons. They were all strung together and pulled by tractor across the FB field like some circus parade. In front of
all those people shy me was fine. I was in disguise, no one knew who was who. Then, I heard a
wave of laughter wafting along the stands. I saw people pointing. I looked down the line and there, sniffing every cage, came Teddy. When he got to my cage he popped loose 2 slats and crowded in with me. I was the only creature everybody identified.
I drove through Cantonement yesterday, will again today, and probably twice this weekend to go hunting at my place across the river in Baldwin County.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I remember walking out of the swamp after the Auburn game in 07, and hearing a few fans say they wanted Meyer gone. I couldn't help but chuckle.
This was a down year for us that just so happened to be sandwiched in between a couple national titles. The point is fans tend to expect perfection,
and when something isn't perfect it needs to be fixed. Whether it's members of the staff, personnel on the field, recruiting etc. I like what I see out of some of the young bucks we've seen, and agree with many that there is at least one member of the staff that needs to be replaced. I'm more optimistic
on the defensive side of the ball than most. Shannon knows what he has to work with, and has shown in the past he will be aggressive, as opposed to sitting back in a zone on 3rd and long. Expect a lot of run blitzes on 1st down to keep the opponent in passing situations. I expect a drop off in terms of talent. It's almost impossible not to when you lose at least one NFL player at every level of your defense, but I think Shannon is an upgrade over Collins . On offense I have no clue what to expect with what is likely a new signal caller.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
In my opinion there should at least be some improvement from year one to two. This year if you don't pay much attention to UF it looks like we had just as good good of a season as last year, but in reality it was worse and that's where the negativity is coming from.

The loses this year were all worse and more embarrassing than last year, the streak to ut ended while Muschamp continued his winning streak over Butch Jones, recruiting doesn't look any better and could be a step down from last year, and the offense somehow got worse, which no one thought was possible. There were also several questionable coaching decisions throughout the year, and that doesn't make things better either.

There's good too. The LSU win, we won the East (barely), and we have a kicker. But it's just difficult to enjoy those things when you've experienced everything else mentioned above, and there was not any sign of overall improvement from the year before. And again, there should be at least some improvement in year 2. Unfortunately I think next year may be another step down, but I've come to accept that. I'm now in a "wait til Mac is fired" mood unless they surprise me and actually make progress with this team. I won't hold my breath.
We stomped that Iowa ass too

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I've said this for a while now. We are stuck with Mac through 2018 or sometime during that season if he craps the bed. He knows and I fear that. He has to a degree no sense of urgency. He knows he's got two back to back SEC E titles so he's resting on that. IMO with a simple replacement of a couple key staff changes he'd possibly turn this thing around. The recruiting, coaching, and attitude would be different. I am resigned to that fact that we are stuck for a while. And a lot of the negativity is deserved. But I do also hold out hope for change and improvement.

A non top 10 class and a 7-5 record may finish him off next season if he doesn't get his act together quick especially considering quite a few losses would be in the Swamp with next year's schedule.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I remember walking out of the swamp after the Auburn game in 07, and hearing a few fans say they wanted Meyer gone. I couldn't help but chuckle.
This was a down year for us that just so happened to be sandwiched in between a couple national titles. The point is fans tend to expect perfection,
and when something isn't perfect it needs to be fixed. Whether it's members of the staff, personnel on the field, recruiting etc. I like what I see out of some of the young bucks we've seen, and agree with many that there is at least one member of the staff that needs to be replaced. I'm more optimistic
on the defensive side of the ball than most. Shannon knows what he has to work with, and has shown in the past he will be aggressive, as opposed to sitting back in a zone on 3rd and long. Expect a lot of run blitzes on 1st down to keep the opponent in passing situations. I expect a drop off in terms of talent. It's almost impossible not to when you lose at least one NFL player at every level of your defense, but I think Shannon is an upgrade over Collins . On offense I have no clue what to expect with what is likely a new signal caller.

Most people were just pissed with all the given up 4th downs in 07 but were happy as hell looking to 08 after watching that offense and knowing all the young talent we had on defense that season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb