Justin Fields back in play?

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by GatorJ, Nov 27, 2017.

1. MTGator

MTGator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $100
    Ratings:
    +154 / -48
    Thanks for having me. Donkey, I think I like to your posts the best, I rarely agree with them but they are usually entertaining and that’s all I ask for.

2. ThreatMatrix

ThreatMatrix Well he's not Mac - so we got that going for us
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $779
    Ratings:
    +7,146 / -118
    Point still stands. They weren't dink and dunk passes. Nor did he stubbornly try to run it. Were the receivers adept at catching? No. Was QB particularly adept at throwing ? No. Was it vertical passing? Yes, yes it was. Hopefully we have better talent playing pitch and catch.

3. Caloosahatchee

Caloosahatchee Ex-Lurker

Oxbucks:
    $9
    Ratings:
    +91 / -6
    Precisely. And last time we did... 2 NC were the result when Mullen called those plays.

4. Detroitgator

Detroitgator General Factotum
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $170
    Ratings:
    +6,719 / -9
    This. He was going to be expelled, the laptop was nothing.

5. 88drgator

88drgator Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $13
    Ratings:
    +282 / -8
    Huh? Not asking for your real name. Just wondering if you knew, given that you worked for the UAA and all.

6. T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $446
    Ratings:
    +4,816 / -231
    And Urban Meyer was head coach....AND...Mullen was a piece of it. Meyer was BMOC. I don't understand all this "we're bringing back the coach that got us two titles". No we are not. It is one of his assistants that hasn't done dick in 9 years since besides go 4-29 vs ranked teams.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  7. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Shytter's Full!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $2,756
    Ratings:
    +25,722 / -542
    He already said he worked in s&c. I can tell you from some exchanges we had back on gsmb and some PMs that Itraz is as good of an x and o guy as we ve ever had. Without a doubt he has set me straight and scared me away on a few things in the past (some Saban defense scheme issues come to mind but that was just one of many).

I know perhaps he's operating on a higher level than probably most here but when guys like Itraz, Cover and Sasquatch mentioned something x and o you should probably pay attention and assume they know what they're talking about.

8. Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $2,756
    Ratings:
    +25,722 / -542
    Reminds me that's when we hired Ron's up to bring back all that Steve Spurrier.

Zook was a coordinator during the championship years, so the results and play on the field was the same.

9. 88drgator

88drgator Senior Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $13
    Ratings:
    +282 / -8
    And your point is? I already gave him props about his analysis. Go check before you lecture me. Just messing with him about 2222.

10. Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $2,756
    Ratings:
    +25,722 / -542
    Sorry if my sarcometer was off.

11. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $490
    Ratings:
    +603 / -38
    My bad. I'm saying I'm not sure bc I don't know who he is. I kind of assume, based on message boards coming up in different conversations, that i actually do know some people on boards, but just don't realize who they are.

12. Theologator

Theologator Enchanter

Oxbucks:
    $313
    Ratings:
    +1,127 / -12
    With your experience in S&C, what is your evaluation of the last few years vs. Muschamp’s “Olympic” guy vs. Marotti?

Scheme & game planning are of course important but physically winning at the LOS and point of attack are critical as well. That plus it’s impact on injury prevention appear to me to be areas that need serious improvement.

And I was dumbfounded as to how a PK gets a serious back injury during weight training.

To my layman’s eyes, MSU obviously has had less “checkers” than Bama, LSU & AU, but seemed to play them tough. The Gators have been ridiculously whipped physically in the trenches against elite teams the last few years. (Not so much under Muschamp - 2012 was a tough team.) Your thoughts?

13. Caloosahatchee

Caloosahatchee Ex-Lurker

Oxbucks:
    $9
    Ratings:
    +91 / -6
    You have a valid point, but bottom line is that Mullen is, and was, the play caller. Say what you want about him not doing anything at MSU, but he did beat ranked teams and the fact remains that he is the SECOND MOST winningest coach at that school in those 9 years.... we're talking about Mississippi friggin State here man. Perennial SEC bottom dweller. He EXCEEDED expectations with what he was given.

Let's see what he can do at the helm of a real ship.

14. Caloosahatchee

Caloosahatchee Ex-Lurker

Oxbucks:
    $9
    Ratings:
    +91 / -6
    Invalid comparison there Law, Zook was a DC/ST guy. I'm strictly speaking about playcalling and offense. Our defenses weren't terrible under Zook as I remember... but every game I watched during his tenure I was a student there.... perhaps a little haze over my memory from the pregame drinks!

15. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $490
    Ratings:
    +603 / -38
    If your concern was there there would be no passing I could have helped you with that and you wouldn't have had to watch the video. If your concern is a super vanilla passing attack that only happens if teams sell out to stop the run then you should still be concerned. Better talent will improve it, but it still won't be good unless it's absolutely elite talent bc it's basically a high school passing O.

16. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $490
    Ratings:
    +603 / -38
    Have you ever looked at the coaching hires of msu? Look at that and then get back to me about how impressive it is that he did better than the other coordinators. Impressive, but 50 people could have done it.

17. Caloosahatchee

Caloosahatchee Ex-Lurker

Oxbucks:
    $9
    Ratings:
    +91 / -6
    You're an X's and O's guy, have at it and let us know how it goes. :)

18. ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $490
    Ratings:
    +603 / -38
    So this is kind of a long answer for a dork like me. A huge asterisk is that I am now medical and work exclusively with pro athletes so I look at things differently now than I did when I was pure S&C. Personally, I'm not a fan of true olympic lifting in college, bc I don't think the increased injury risk is worth it. The 'catch' in a clean and any jerk/snatch (insert comment here) is where you'll get hurt. I am a big fan of explosive lifts/plyos as long as you decrease the injury risk. I.E. Med ball throws, tires, hammers, etc where you're never catching a weight. I also think they're fun, which is big in college sports. You can't give anything that doesn't need to be monitored very well, bc it's just not possible.

It's easy to blame lifting on Caleb's injury, but the bigger issue, IMO is that we don't know how big an injury risk he was before lifting. Kicking is obviously a unilateral activity (only goes one way) so he likely had a lot of asymmetry going on. I think the lack of prehab is a bigger issue than squatting heavy. I mentioned above about Stanford and that's a huge thing that separates them. They do a ton of screening and have input from medical professionals (MDs, PTs) in their S&C. This is aided in a huge way also by the fact that they have full-time PTs (and studs since it's obviously a sweet gig) for their players. At a school like UF, PTs from OSMI (ortho and sports med institute) head over to the training room sometimes. But then you have different PTs so they don't know the players as well, they're not always there and they'll never get top sports people bc the person you'd want isn't willing to see jon smith who has back pain from his office job 4 days/week.

I think the top job of a head S&C coach at UF should be... 1) a motivator. Something Mickey was good at was ideas to keep people motivated... 2) someone that is liked, but also keeps kids in line. They spend a lot of time together in the off-season... 3) really wants us to be as cutting edge as any sports performance program in the world. They need to care about nutrition, for example, so they get on that staff when they give our guys cookie cutter sh!t. When a guy can't put on weight, the issue is the nutrition, but that issue always goes back to the S&C coach. They need to want technology, bc not only is it fvkkin awesome with what you can monitor, but it's also another little recruiting tool... & then all the way at 4) a great S&C coach.

It wouldn't be hard to put together a search committee for something like this. Or you could be mac and take your buddy.

19. T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $446
    Ratings:
    +4,816 / -231
    You literally lost all credibility with this statement. Mullen has the WORST losing % in college football history when playing ranked teams as a ranked team. The worst. He is something like 4-29 vs ranked teams all-time. I'd search for this four teams but I don't feel like it.

Pump on brother!

20. Caloosahatchee

Caloosahatchee Ex-Lurker

Oxbucks:
    $9
    Ratings:
    +91 / -6
    I'm no pumper, I'm trying to look at it from an objective point of view and consider the conference, West vs East, recruiting, etc etc.

To be quite honest, A loss of credibility means very little coming from you after your rant about wishing the to Gators fail miserably. I'm not going to go back and search, but it was bad enough to cast doubt on your allegiances. So, um..... thank you?