Justin Fields decides to remain a leghumper

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I have to agree with this. Our focus should be on Corral, who has basically held this class together. He should lock Corral up and get him enrolled early, then go after a Juco or a lower ranked duel threat QB. If we miss out on Corral, and don't get Fields, that will be a major league blunder.

And what happens if Corral is a bust or he got hurt in game one?

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And what happens if Corral is a bust or he got hurt in game one?

I am not saying don't take another QB besides Corral.

I am saying lock Corral up, he is one of the highest ranked QBs we have ever recruited. We have not sniffed a QB like this in a decade. He has single handedly held this recruiting class together. He has the it factor. He could be a bust, but I seriously doubt it. You bring Corral in as an early enrollee, and then get a second QB that is more of the Mullen duel threat style.

You don't risk running Corral off, JF is not coming to FL.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015

I am saying lock Corral up, he is one of the highest ranked QBs we have ever recruited. We have not sniffed a QB like this in a decade. He has single handedly held this recruiting class together. He has the it factor. He could be a bust, but I seriously doubt it. You bring Corral in as an early enrollee, and then get a second QB that is more of the Mullen duel threat style.

You don't think the coaches know whether Corral is locked up yet or not? Here's a hint, he's locked up. His dad even said the coaches told him they wanted another QB in this class and they were fine with it. So why not go after the best one out there?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Not saying he’s not a blue chipper, but his stock has dropped some. He’s not even a borderline 5* anymore. Doubt he cracks top 5 QB recruited

Since65

Oct 5, 2014

I would be curious as to who you believe to be the coaches that consistently take lesser talented teams and beat more talented teams? I guess Matt Campbell would be a shining example from this season with a win over a Top 5 and Top 15 team. Of course there are upsets every week of the season but I can't think of many guys who regularly take physically inferior teams and beat more skilled teams.

It seems to me that the coaches that win regularly are the ones with better players. Do the experts think of Saban as a "scheme genius" as opposed to an exceptional organizer, leader, recruiter, detail-obsessed guy? The only game I can recollect Alabama winning as the "underdog" was the 2009 SEC game against the talent-laden Gators. Otherwise they seem to typically beat lesser or occasionally equally talented teams. Same with Clemson, Ohio State, FSU, etc. Are those teams winning because their coaches are outsmarting their opponents or because they have more talent?

That being said, I believe your point is that Mullen's offensive system is functionally pedestrian and simplistic and will require a significant talent advantage in order to win big games. Is that accurate?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I would be curious as to who you believe to be the coaches that consistently take lesser talented teams and beat more talented teams? I guess Matt Campbell would be a shining example from this season with a win over a Top 5 and Top 15 team. Of course there are upsets every week of the season but I can't think of many guys who regularly take physically inferior teams and beat more skilled teams.

It seems to me that the coaches that win regularly are the ones with better players. Do the experts think of Saban as a "scheme genius" as opposed to an exceptional organizer, leader, recruiter, detail-obsessed guy? The only game I can recollect Alabama winning as the "underdog" was the 2009 SEC game against the talent-laden Gators. Otherwise they seem to typically beat lesser or occasionally equally talented teams. Same with Clemson, Ohio State, FSU, etc. Are those teams winning because their coaches are outsmarting their opponents or because they have more talent?

That being said, I believe your point is that Mullen's offensive system is functionally pedestrian and simplistic and will require a significant talent advantage in order to win big games. Is that accurate?

Herman at Houston was beating higher/more talented teams. Frost was as well. It happens. Meyer at Utah. I'm sure I could find more examples as well. Fleck I think beat some vastly more talented teams while at Western Mich.

Not sure...are you arguing that Mullen was a victim of MSU? That's why he never beat any ranked teams?

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Herman at Houston was beating higher/more talented teams. Frost was as well. It happens. Meyer at Utah. I'm sure I could find more examples as well. Fleck I think beat some vastly more talented teams while at Western Mich.

Not sure...are you arguing that Mullen was a victim of MSU? That's why he never beat any ranked teams?

Herman had a couple of upsets, as did Meyer and Fleck. As I said, these happen every year. I don't see many coaches who do that on a consistent basis, year in and year out. I disagree about Frost pulling many upsets. The two or three games I saw them play they were more skilled than their opponents.

No I was just addressing the point that claimed Mullen's offensive system would require measurably more talent than his opponents to win big games. I think most (but not all) games are won by the teams with better players.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014

These are all good points...especially the last one. I would put myself in the camp that is still unconvinced about requiring exceptional luck to win versus a comparable roster. I think we can agree that UF needs an exceptional talent infusion on the entire roster.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Herman had a couple of upsets, as did Meyer and Fleck. As I said, these happen every year. I don't see many coaches who do that on a consistent basis, year in and year out. I disagree about Frost pulling many upsets. The two or three games I saw them play they were more skilled than their opponents.

No I was just addressing the point that claimed Mullen's offensive system would require measurably more talent than his opponents to win big games. I think most (but not all) games are won by the teams with better players.

Frost crushed Maryland at Maryland(which by Rivals had a lot more talent) 38-10 this year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

A agree with Herman at Houston, and Meyer at both Bowling Green (people forget he beat P5 teams there). Herman and Meyer showed they consistently beat more talented teams (Meyer at two different stops).

Frost only victory with a team with possibly more talent might have been Maryland (2017). And the argument could be made they were of equal talent. PJ Fleck didn't consistently beat any team that I would consider more talented with Western Michigan and I definitely wouldn't say vastly more talented. Flecks best win might be 2016 Northwestern (7-6) or 2015 Toledo.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Chip played us and we ended up getting a coach who wanted to be here. He may be a good HC with a bad record as a function of where he coached, or he may simply be a barely over 500 guy that his record shows. Time will tell.
FIFY

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
So if Fields does come this weekend, is it under Kirby’s orders for him to do so?
I guess I'm paranoid now after having gotten trolled by some of these kids in the past, but I was thinking the same thing with Fields. And especially with the other QB, tOSU commit I think who posted to Mullen on social media that he would consider us if Mullen reached out to him. To me that wreaked of someone trolling, but like a say, I'm overly suspicious at this point.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

USF is a team of roughly equal talent. UCF and USF are the same tier of athlete. Frost is 1-1 against USF. But that isn't a knock on Frost, as he is just in year two.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
This is spot on.... instead of picking the "high ceiling" long shot, we chose the steady High Floor Safe Bet. Guy's gonna win us a Natty in about seven seasons... Book it!
You don't win a Natty in year 7, if you're going to get your team competing for a NC it's in the first few years, i.e. Saban, Miles, Meyer, Stoops, Fisher, Kelly, Kirby, etc. Dabo is the rare exception.

We'll know in 2-3 years if Mullen is going to ever have us playing for a Natty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.