Justin Fields decides to remain a leghumper

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by GatorJ, Nov 27, 2017.

1. 5-Star Finger

5-Star Finger Dexterous Member

Oxbucks:
    $604
    Ratings:
    +647 / -5
    This is the kiss of death. Remember his: Jacob Eason is a Gator thing...sheez.

2. gatormandan
    Blah

gatormandan On our way back!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,145
    Ratings:
    +5,677 / -173
    And what happens if Corral is a bust or he got hurt in game one?

• SaltGator

SaltGator Midline

Oxbucks:
      $136
      Ratings:
      +401 / -1
      I am not saying don't take another QB besides Corral.

I am saying lock Corral up, he is one of the highest ranked QBs we have ever recruited. We have not sniffed a QB like this in a decade. He has single handedly held this recruiting class together. He has the it factor. He could be a bust, but I seriously doubt it. You bring Corral in as an early enrollee, and then get a second QB that is more of the Mullen duel threat style.

You don't risk running Corral off, JF is not coming to FL.

• T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $927
        Ratings:
        +5,301 / -291
        Fervently? How about he just got a minimum of $30 mill guaranteed. That may have helped his "fervor".

• Bait'n Gator
          Horny

Bait'n Gator Go away..... bait'n
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $454
          Ratings:
          +1,374 / -20

You don't think the coaches know whether Corral is locked up yet or not? Here's a hint, he's locked up. His dad even said the coaches told him they wanted another QB in this class and they were fine with it. So why not go after the best one out there?

• alcoholica

alcoholica Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
          $846
          Ratings:
          +6,800 / -222
          Not saying he’s not a blue chipper, but his stock has dropped some. He’s not even a borderline 5* anymore. Doubt he cracks top 5 QB recruited

• Since65

Since65 Senior Member

Oxbucks:
          $197
          Ratings:
          +505 / -2
          I would be curious as to who you believe to be the coaches that consistently take lesser talented teams and beat more talented teams? I guess Matt Campbell would be a shining example from this season with a win over a Top 5 and Top 15 team. Of course there are upsets every week of the season but I can't think of many guys who regularly take physically inferior teams and beat more skilled teams.

It seems to me that the coaches that win regularly are the ones with better players. Do the experts think of Saban as a "scheme genius" as opposed to an exceptional organizer, leader, recruiter, detail-obsessed guy? The only game I can recollect Alabama winning as the "underdog" was the 2009 SEC game against the talent-laden Gators. Otherwise they seem to typically beat lesser or occasionally equally talented teams. Same with Clemson, Ohio State, FSU, etc. Are those teams winning because their coaches are outsmarting their opponents or because they have more talent?

That being said, I believe your point is that Mullen's offensive system is functionally pedestrian and simplistic and will require a significant talent advantage in order to win big games. Is that accurate?

• T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $927
          Ratings:
          +5,301 / -291
          Herman at Houston was beating higher/more talented teams. Frost was as well. It happens. Meyer at Utah. I'm sure I could find more examples as well. Fleck I think beat some vastly more talented teams while at Western Mich.

Not sure...are you arguing that Mullen was a victim of MSU? That's why he never beat any ranked teams?

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
            $947
            Ratings:
            +1,061 / -80
            There aren't many. That's why it's so hard to find the right coach. I'd point to guys like Chris Peterson, Gary Patterson, Chip Kelly, Frost (recently), Franklin, Gundy, Paul Chryst (recently).
            I think most would consider Saban a defensive genius and just a great understanding of the game in general. That's probably why they've adapted so well.
            Yes. To your example above, I wouldn't be surprised at all for Clemson to beat bama in the playoff, but I see no way mullen could with that same roster without insane luck.

• Since65

Since65 Senior Member

Oxbucks:
            $197
            Ratings:
            +505 / -2
            Herman had a couple of upsets, as did Meyer and Fleck. As I said, these happen every year. I don't see many coaches who do that on a consistent basis, year in and year out. I disagree about Frost pulling many upsets. The two or three games I saw them play they were more skilled than their opponents.

No I was just addressing the point that claimed Mullen's offensive system would require measurably more talent than his opponents to win big games. I think most (but not all) games are won by the teams with better players.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
              $947
              Ratings:
              +1,061 / -80
              I think that's largely due to the behavior concerns and school transfer. If it was just based on talent, I think he'd be a 5* or right on the edge. I'd guess top-40.

• Since65

Since65 Senior Member

Oxbucks:
              $197
              Ratings:
              +505 / -2
              These are all good points...especially the last one. I would put myself in the camp that is still unconvinced about requiring exceptional luck to win versus a comparable roster. I think we can agree that UF needs an exceptional talent infusion on the entire roster.

• T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $927
              Ratings:
              +5,301 / -291
              Frost crushed Maryland at Maryland(which by Rivals had a lot more talent) 38-10 this year.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
              $947
              Ratings:
              +1,061 / -80
              He averaged the #25 recruiting class I think. How many teams with comparable rosters did he beat that didn't have big coaching issues? And what are the chances he could get a roster comparable to Saban? What are the chances, based on his history, that he beats a team with a roster like that, that is also competently coached? Will he ever be able to run power all day against alabama and if no (and the 88 yards in the 2009 SECCG should give you hesitation that he could), has he ever been effective when he couldn't?

• TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
              $1,113
              Ratings:
              +4,300 / -33
              A agree with Herman at Houston, and Meyer at both Bowling Green (people forget he beat P5 teams there). Herman and Meyer showed they consistently beat more talented teams (Meyer at two different stops).

Frost only victory with a team with possibly more talent might have been Maryland (2017). And the argument could be made they were of equal talent. PJ Fleck didn't consistently beat any team that I would consider more talented with Western Michigan and I definitely wouldn't say vastly more talented. Flecks best win might be 2016 Northwestern (7-6) or 2015 Toledo.

• lagator
                Bored

lagator Senior Member

Oxbucks:
                $585
                Ratings:
                +1,383 / -31
                FIFY

• lagator
                Bored

lagator Senior Member

Oxbucks:
                $585
                Ratings:
                +1,383 / -31
                I guess I'm paranoid now after having gotten trolled by some of these kids in the past, but I was thinking the same thing with Fields. And especially with the other QB, tOSU commit I think who posted to Mullen on social media that he would consider us if Mullen reached out to him. To me that wreaked of someone trolling, but like a say, I'm overly suspicious at this point.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                  $947
                  Ratings:
                  +1,061 / -80
                  USF?

• TheDouglas78

TheDouglas78 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                  $1,113
                  Ratings:
                  +4,300 / -33
                  USF is a team of roughly equal talent. UCF and USF are the same tier of athlete. Frost is 1-1 against USF. But that isn't a knock on Frost, as he is just in year two.

• lagator
                  Bored

lagator Senior Member

Oxbucks:
                  $585
                  Ratings:
                  +1,383 / -31
                  You don't win a Natty in year 7, if you're going to get your team competing for a NC it's in the first few years, i.e. Saban, Miles, Meyer, Stoops, Fisher, Kelly, Kirby, etc. Dabo is the rare exception.

We'll know in 2-3 years if Mullen is going to ever have us playing for a Natty.