Team speed!

Yes!!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Great! Take a Lamar Jackson-potential QBl" (Louisville Heisman) and immediately believe he's gotta play elsewhere.
Maybe he gets the ball 2 another plays per game & gains 25 yards each game = McNuss pat their backs and say: "yep we sure put him in the right position.".... meanwhile, in Louisville's first 2 games, Jackson rushes for 80 for 2 TDs/game and throws for 2 TDs/game.I know Toney is just 5'11" but he played vs regular height, By a great difference in performance, he beat out tall QBs through high school. I don't like prejudging Tonry, but if Toney turns out to be
Percy Harvin clone. I'm happy with it.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure what they will end up doing with Toney. He has speed and cutting ability but it didn't look like he had the kind that would stick out a lot in major FBS football. I guess anything is possible - even playing QB some due to the other freshman not working out well but that is probably doubtful this season.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Have read he's really struggled throwing the ball so far...probably just needs to learn multiple positions on offense and get the ball in his hands. Wildcat just need to go away...

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Great, Nuss is bringing the Wildcat back......Look there are 10,000 guys across the country who can run one in from the QB position when the defense gets caught napping....problem is once that happens they assign a shadow to the position and unless they can hit a 1 on 1 covered receiver in stride 10 yards downfield the whole thing becomes useless.
Now if the kid can fit a ball into coverage with his arm, or even keep his eyes downfield to find a open receiver AND haul ass when he needs to then I'll sit up and take notice, anything else is not a viable part of the offense.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Great! Take a Lamar Jackson-potential QBl" (Louisville Heisman) and immediately believe he's gotta play elsewhere.
Maybe he gets the ball 2 another plays per game & gains 25 yards each game = McNuss pat their backs and say: "yep we sure put him in the right position.".... meanwhile, in Louisville's first 2 games, Jackson rushes for 80 for 2 TDs/game and throws for 2 TDs/game.I know Toney is just 5'11" but he played vs regular height, By a great difference in performance, he beat out tall QBs through high school. I don't like prejudging Tonry, but if Toney turns out to be
Percy Harvin clone. I'm happy with it.

This is probably more due to his performance in practice than anything else. If he was killings it at QB they wouldn't do this

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Every team that had Toney in to throw rejected him as a QB. He was so bad, they wouldn't even offer him a shot. We got him because Mac and Nuss promised him a shot at QB. He has NFL potential at WR. The sooner this kid accepts he isn't a QB, the quicker he can get to learning the receiver position. By the way, he isn't Lamar Jackson. The only thing Toney and Lamar have in common is skin color.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Every team that had Toney in to throw rejected him as a QB...
The same can be said for Trask, well every team except one, same team for both kids.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Except when standard FB plays are being stopped and you have and exceptionally sharp ballcarrier (really fast, quick cutter, exceptional vision etc.). Yes, there are standard ways to get that guy the ball, but direct snap means blocks don't have be long-held 'cause our guy is gone. If Toney shows that in practices, so be it.

Since Lamar Jackson wound up at Louisville, I bet many big schools dissed him at QB and pushed him towards DB.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Not a big fan of the wildcat - except when it works. Read recently that they had a lot(?) of plays designed for Massey in the opening game last year and had to throw them out when he was injured on the first play. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Granted it might have been very successful against UMass but I don't want to see it against real competition. Throw it in once a game early just to keep the defense guessing. In any case having one or two skill position guys that can throw a better than average pass isn't a bad thing.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I'm ok with the wildcat a few times a game "IF, AND ONLY IF" it's putting the ball in a playmakers hand.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Read recently that they had a lot(?) of plays designed for Massey in the opening game last year and had to throw them out when he was injured on the first play.

We may have read the same article. I recall a lot of comparisons of Toney to Massey. I'll admit I had a lot of hope and excitement about Massey and what he might do for our offense from the slot, and if Toney is comparable, I'll be excited this fall to have two such players to call on.

But I'm there with you on having too much of your offense around a player like this...even if it is only against Umass. I assume that is to give the kid some spotlight but also to hide tape of your real offense in the opening game(s). I'd rather see the opening games used for more 'practice' of your intended offense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.