Kelly insists he didn't duck SEC fishbowl

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Never wanted Kelly. I think he's over the hill. Happens to different people at different ages and points in life. I wanted Scott Frost. I didn't think we would end up with Mullen but as the available coaches were being removed off the table and the pool was shrinking, Mullen looks pretty good. We weren't going to end up like Tennessee and John Currie. I see where UT fired Chancellor Beverly Davenport. She had to call in Phil Fulmer to bail her and Currie out which was ironic since UT had previously canned Fulmer.

Last edited:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
While Kiffin may be holding out for the Dolphins, I don’t see the feeling with the Fins or any other NFL team being mutual. I’d say the odds of Kiffin landing as a HC in the NFL any time in the next 10 years as being 1 in a billion. 1) I don’t see him being an NFL type coach and 2) I think he’d have to jump from FAU to a major college program and demonstrate serious and sustained success before an NFL team would even consider him for an open HC gig and that by itself would take at least a decade.
Agreed. Kiffin's shtick may work with 17 year old recruits, but adults in the NFL see though all that douchbaggery. He'd have to win from day one or I think his team would turn on him pretty quickly.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Frost was the guy IMO. I’m not sure there was anything we could have done, though. The allure of returning home AND to his alma mater was probably too much to overcome.
It went from one to two juicy candidates, then to none faster than you could say false alarm.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not gonna lie. I wanted Kelly in spite of all the perceived drawbacks. If he quit UCLA tomorrow and announced his love for UF, I'd want him again. His offenses got more vertical out of horizontal than any I can think of.

In retrospect, though, it was a bad year to be a risk-averse buyer. It was Kelly, Frost and then the field. Where we apparently have much disagreement over is which member of the field we should have offered.

I think Stricklin made a good call.
Our shot with frost was dead the minute we started chasing Kelly. Nebraska slid right in there and there was no way he was gonna be our second choice after the public shaming chip kelly gave us. Stricklin made a terrible call. He's made nothing but terrible calls eversince he's been here. Came in gave mac, nord and nuss raises and extensions. Let the whole chip kelly thing get way too public.Cancelled the stand alone football facility in order to build a baseball stadium. Then topped it all off and hired dan mullen. I hope thats his last football hire. I think it was pretty telling that chip kelly to 2 million less per year to not coach here. I think Stricklin will be the guy whos remembered for paying dan mullen 6 mil a year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Our shot with frost was dead the minute we started chasing Kelly. Nebraska slid right in there and there was no way he was gonna be our second choice after the public shaming chip kelly gave us. Stricklin made a terrible call. He's made nothing but terrible calls eversince he's been here. Came in gave mac, nord and nuss raises and extensions. Let the whole chip kelly thing get way too public.Cancelled the stand alone football facility in order to build a baseball stadium. Then topped it all off and hired dan mullen. I hope thats his last football hire. I think it was pretty telling that chip kelly to 2 million less per year to not coach here. I think Stricklin will be the guy whos remembered for paying dan mullen 6 mil a year.

Yup. If Stricklin has done anything right so far, Im not aware of it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I believe Frost would have taken this job in a New York minute, but he's a big wussy. I don't think he wanted the Nebraska job and everything that would come along with it, but he was under tremendous pressure. He didn't want to be known as a doosh who turned down his own school. He buckled, period. He doesn't want to be there, and it isn't going to end well.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Frost isnt winning a damn thing in Nebraska. I hope he is happy with that. Im going to chuckle with every loss.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't disagree that Frost may have been made by Stricklin to look like second fiddle or that the jury is still way out on Stricklin.

He made an inexplicably bad judgment call to extend Mac, Nussmeier and Nord after the 2016 season, which included a mind-numbing pay raise for the beleaguered OC from $525,000 to $842,725.

Unless you're referring to the tweet where he made fun of the speculation over Kelly, his handling in that department was spot on. The football facility timing isn't Stricklin's fault, either. The football people had an option to build an elevated facility right away and opted to wait for the land underneath the present baseball stadium to become available.

If there's blame there, it falls on the planners who preceded Stricklin. They overcrowded that area of the campus.

Re Mullen, the short list after Kelly and Frost generally included Mullen, Taggart and Strong. Fuente wasn't coming due to the buyout and it's unclear if Campbell or Norvell ever were serious candidates, although I personally liked the latter.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Hell, Frost even stayed on to coach the bowl game at UCF. Who the hell does that? If he was rarin' to rip at Nebraska, you think he would have done that?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He made an inexplicably bad judgment call to extend Mac, Nussmeier and Nord after the 2016 season, which included a mind-numbing pay raise for the beleaguered OC from $525,000 to $842,725.
He gave him a 300k raise AND EXTENDED HIM A YEAR, 800k more, so 1.1 mil to Nussdrunk after he put his third straight 100th ranked offense on the field.
The football facility timing isn't Stricklin's fault, either. The football people had an option to build an elevated facility right away and opted to wait for the land underneath the present baseball stadium to become available
Bulldoze the baseball field and start buildingnthe football facility immediately is an option.

Putting football in last place again is just another example of why this whole athletic department needs nuked.

Re Mullen, the short list after Kelly and Frost generally included Mullen, Taggart and Strong. Fuente wasn't coming due to the buyout and it's unclear if Campbell or Norvell ever were serious candidates, although I personally liked the latter.
All those options are 7-5/8-4 shyt, except maybe Norvell.

We should have gone with the best OC we could hire, a Moorhead or similiar. Hiring a guy with a known low ceiling (and the rest ofnthe guys you.listed are the same, just average guys) and wasting 3-4 more years is idiocy.

Hell even Strong would have at least been able to recruit. Hard to think of aa Mullin strength. I guess his strength is putting a 50-60th ranked offense on the field.... if you consider that a strength. And.... and "he wants to be here."

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Hell even Strong would have at least been able to recruit.
All over the map as usual. You praised Mullen's first class, and rightfully so. As for his second class, we have to show promise on the field this year, and that one will be top 10 no problem.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He gave him a 300k raise AND EXTENDED HIM A YEAR, so 1.1 mil to Nussdrunk.

All those options are 7-5/8-4 shyt, except maybe Norvell.

We should have gone with the best OC we could hire, a Moorhead or similiar. Hiring a guy with a known low ceiling (and the rest ofnthe guys you.listed are the same, just avaerage guys) and wasting 3-4 more years is idiocy.

Hell even Strong would have at least been able to recruit. Hard to think of aa Mullin strength. I guess his strength is putting a 50-60th ranked offense on the field.... if you consider that a strength. And.... and "he wants to be here."
I liked Strong all along. You know that. 10% of my dislikes are from you over favorable comments I made about him.

He can recruit.

He knows the SEC.

He knows Florida.

He has connections.

He relates well with his players.

He doesn't meddle with the offense.

Strong vs. Mullen? I'd have taken Charlie.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hell, Frost even stayed on to coach the bowl game at UCF. Who the hell does that? If he was rarin' to rip at Nebraska, you think he would have done that?
Only a fvkking fool would want to be to Nebraska in the winter.

Or any other time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
All over the map as usual. You praised Mullen's first class, and rightfully so. As for his second class, we have to show promise on the field this year, and that one will be top 10 no problem.
His early signing period was borderline great for a transition class. Recruiting has sucked since he fired Seider.

He better figure it out in a hurry or he and Stricklin wont get that fourth year.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was pretty surprised, probably shocked, when Kelly's name came up and suddenly we were in contact. We had to feel him out.

I don't care what you think about him. He's Chip Frigging Kelly. Scott Frost is not Chip Frigging Kelly.

Until that point, I'd been on the Frost train.

I know you were, too, Ox and Law. We were PMing each regularly. We all wanted Kelly and really thought it would happen. We all liked Frost, too, probably even more because he was young and dynamic.

Still, the Kelly allure was intoxicating when you closed your eyes and imagined him play calling with Florida skilled position talent.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I just still don't think Frost was ever coming here. And the Kelly mania was real, no one need deny it. I think it's funny some think they know exactly what was in some coach's mind. It was an interesting time, for sure. But things happen the way they are supposed to happen, otherwise they would have happened some other way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator