Recruiting Kirby Smart article on recruiting (good read)

If you were forced to have dinner with one of these legends, who would you choose?

• Steve Spurrier

• Danny Wuerffel

• Tim Tebow

Results are only viewable after voting.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Kirby is certainly trying to raise the bar in Athens. At first I thought Georgia had made a mistake in getting rid of Richt...
It's never a mistake to get rid of a perennial four loss coach. You may or may not get better with the next coach, but the 4 loss guys are never going to become champions. You may swing and miss on the next hire, then have to repeat but you can't hit a grand slam without swinging.

Personnally I'd love to see Richt and Band Boy at our rivals forever of course, just like they all love the thought of Butters remaining in Gainesville.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Smart has certainly recruited better than McElwain, to-date. McElwain is the better coach.

:lmao:

Smart has been a head coach for ONE season. The jury is still out and after watching his first two recruiting classes I'm not going to post - matter of factly - that McElwain is a better coach than anyone.....

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Kirby Dumb is the enemy and if I care not about anything he says. If I want to read fluff about him or the butt sniffers, I will go to UGly message boards. No thanks.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Kirby Dumb is the enemy and if I care not about anything he says. If I want to read fluff about him or the butt sniffers, I will go to UGly message boards. No thanks.

Yep...typical of most fans; Never pay attention to what other programs are doing, think UF is the only program that exists, think hiring coaches from mid-majors is okay, think recruiting 2-star qbs is common among power programs, then can't understand why we lose 4 games or more 4 years in a row and get blown out several times and have an offense ranked 100+ multiple years in a row...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Smart has been a head coach for ONE season. The jury is still out and after watching his first two recruiting classes I'm not going to post - matter of factly - that McElwain is a better coach than anyone.....
Smart is a disaster bc he lost 5 games.

Butters is a future HOF bc he lost 4.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Kirby Smart pulling a Saban w/ roster management:

(from gridironow):

The Dawgs will be losing another player, this one for good.

Offensive lineman Sam Madden’s career has come to a close. Smart told reporters Saturday that Madden is dealing with a medical issue deemed serious enough for him to retire from the sport.

“We feel it’s in his best interest from a medical standpoint for him to no longer play football,” Smart said. “His health and safety is our greatest concern, and we’re applying for a medical exemption. He’ll continue to be with the team and work with the team, whether it’s in the weight room or video staff, he’ll help us in other ways. But he’s done a tremendous job since being here, and we’ll be moving forward that way.”

Madden came to Georgia in 2015 out of Barnegat, New Jersey. He spent the 2015, 2016 and 2017 seasons as a member of the scout team and has not made an appearance in a game in his three-year Georgia career.

Smart maintained that he hopes Madden will remain with the team in a student-assistant type or role, but the junior’s playing career appears to be over.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

2 seasons, and 3 recruiting classes.

McElwain wasn't a good coach, he had 3 seasons and 3 with CSU. Smart is still putting in his stamp on Ugay, the roster is just now becoming more his than the previous regime.

upload_2018-3-27_13-6-23.png

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
2 seasons, and 3 recruiting classes.

McElwain wasn't a good coach, he had 3 seasons and 3 with CSU. Smart is still putting in his stamp on Ugay, the roster is just now becoming more his than the previous regime.

Doug, that comment was written on Feb 5, 2017 (over a year ago). So....at the time, he had been a coach for one season.

I'm not sure how good of a coach Smart will be but I'm not going to discount what he's done there in very little time. He did take over a program on solid ground. Even Muschamp had work to do after Urban left him a 'broken' program. So, I will admit that Kirby didn't have to make some miraculous turnaround at UGA. Regardless, he's done a great job - especially building a Saban-like support system.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I hope Smart slows down some. I don't like seeing someone in our own division recruiting like he is.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Doug, that comment was written on Feb 5, 2017 (over a year ago). So....at the time, he had been a coach for one season.

Sorry about that, didn't notice.

I'm not sure how good of a coach Smart will be but I'm not going to discount what he's done there in very little time. He did take over a program on solid ground. Even Muschamp had work to do after Urban left him a 'broken' program. So, I will admit that Kirby didn't have to make some miraculous turnaround at UGA. Regardless, he's done a great job - especially building a Saban-like support system.

He did have more to work with, but we also don't fully know whom he is yet. A better idea, but he added to an already well oiled recruiting machine at UGA. His coaching decisions have been hit and miss. How good is we will find out. It is obviously a really good question, is how much he was helped (much like Butters first two years) by a bad SEC east (especially in the 2017 season).. how often is the other two name teams in the East going to completely schit the bed in the same year. Butters was a schit coach, Smart the jury is still out. I think we are agreeing on that point.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Sorry about that, didn't notice.

He did have more to work with, but we also don't fully know whom he is yet. A better idea, but he added to an already well oiled recruiting machine at UGA. His coaching decisions have been hit and miss. How good is we will find out. It is obviously a really good question, is how much he was helped (much like Butters first two years) by a bad SEC east (especially in the 2017 season).. how often is the other two name teams in the East going to completely schit the bed in the same year. Butters was a schit coach, Smart the jury is still out. I think we are agreeing on that point.

I think his road got a lot more difficult w/ the hires of Mullen and Pruitt.

Pruitt will do a lot of what Saban did at Alabama....which is what Smart is doing at UGA.

Mullen will do more of a Meyer type approach - and is MUCH more dependent on the QB than Smart and Pruitt will be.

I think the post I added showing Smart pushing out the "injured" OL is telling. He's going to make room on his roster for better players. Meanwhile, Andrew Mike is still on our roster!

Also, I'd watch what Pruitt is doing. I'm going to guess he'll have a similar recruiting machine as UGA and Alabama by this time next year (if not by November - to get ready for the early signing period).

Mullen has done a good job of beefing up our recruiting staff....but I don't think it's anywhere close to what UGA and Alabama have. It needs to be!

I agree the 'jury is still out' on Smart...but I suspect he'll be a successful coach, if not very successful. He's the one Saban assistant that stayed - and learned from Saban. Most of the coaches, including Pruitt, only spent 3-5 years w/ Saban (Pruitt may have done more than 5 years, as he spent two different stints there). Muschamp had been gone for years when he got the UF job. Fisher had been apart from Saban for years as well when he took over FSU. Butters spent 4 years w/ Saban - and I think Saban made a lot of changes after Butters left (which was 6+ years ago now). So, the jury may still be out on Smart, but he's certainly set up to succeed (especially if he keeps recruiting the way he has).

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, it would've been nice to grab a few more high quality OL last season and put Mike/Harkless/Buchanan out to pasture.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
how often is the other two name teams in the East going to completely schit the bed in the same year.

Did you mean "two main teams"? I'm :scratchhead: on the other two name teams are in the East... Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt?

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Muschamp felt the same way about recruiting DT's to the detriment of all other positions and he crushed it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Did you mean "two main teams"? I'm :scratchhead: on the other two name teams are in the East... Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt?

Florida and Tennesse... meant main two teams outside of UGA

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb