Lacedrick Brunson Next Gator Great?

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think you would make 5a all Dade first team unless you can play some damn good football...whether that's SEC level we'll find out

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I don't think you would make 5a all Dade first team unless you can play some damn good football...whether that's SEC level we'll find out

True...and he did it 2 years in a row. Can't believe he didn't get a 3rd star, especially at his size. If he was an overachieving 5'10 200lb HS LB I could see, but he's 6'2 210. That's a good size HS LB (hell, a lot of HS DE's are under 200lbs). I think we got a good player, but again - he's a project.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You dog Trask a lot but he makes the tight throws in his tape the other higher rated QBs arent making. Dont be shocked if he starts this season.
There's a big difference in a LB and a QB. As Driskel showed, you have to have a lot more than a great arm and raw athleticism to be an effective QB (you can actually do it with neither).

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agree. It's a position of need and we have the luxury of being able to redshirt this kid. If he gets up to 225-ish a rsFr he'll be fine, especially for ST's....and could eventually be a starter. I'm just not going to sit here and act like we "stole" one from the big-boys of CFB. He's a project, but has a lot of upside.

That's exactly how see it. I wish we would have targeted a DT like this.

Yeah...I know it sucks we got stuck with all those 4* DT's... o_O

JK... I assume you're meaning you wish we had gotten another DT, even if it meant taking on a project for future depth purposes...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

JK... I assume you're meaning you wish we had gotten another DT, even if it meant taking on a project for future depth purposes...

Al, I'm still bent that we didn't bring in a Plan B DT in last year's class. We only had the one DT committed and he bails on signing day (and then didn't qualify, so he wouldn't have been here anyway). DT is a position you have to sign EVERY YEAR....and if it's a Plan B, so be it. Had we taken a low 3-star (an FAU or USF type of player) he could have come in last year and redshirted....put on 10-20 pounds and had a full year in the program. He may not be a starter, but he'd certainly be ready to play a dozen or so snaps a game (like Bryan & Clark did 2 years ago). Instead, we got nada. That's inexcusable. I hope these true freshman come in ready to play. We literally have 2 DT's on our roster right now - SEC DTs. CeCe is NOT a DT. Polite still needs to put on weight. And I still think we need to move Riles over....and a lot of this is because we didn't sign a DT last year.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

We signed 3 DT's. I was hoping we'd reach 4. Getting 3 wasn't a disaster though.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Al, I'm still bent that we didn't bring in a Plan B DT in last year's class. We only had the one DT committed and he bails on signing day (and then didn't qualify, so he wouldn't have been here anyway). DT is a position you have to sign EVERY YEAR....and if it's a Plan B, so be it. Had we taken a low 3-star (an FAU or USF type of player) he could have come in last year and redshirted....put on 10-20 pounds and had a full year in the program. He may not be a starter, but he'd certainly be ready to play a dozen or so snaps a game (like Bryan & Clark did 2 years ago). Instead, we got nada. That's inexcusable. I hope these true freshman come in ready to play. We literally have 2 DT's on our roster right now - SEC DTs. CeCe is NOT a DT. Polite still needs to put on weight. And I still think we need to move Riles over....and a lot of this is because we didn't sign a DT last year.

Gotcha... I thought you were talking about this years class.

It's really unbelievable that we didn't sign one DT in TWO years. And it's asking an awful lot for a true freshman to be able to play at that position right away. I'm hoping they're men amongst boys. They'll have to be.

I also agree they need to move Riles over to that side of the ball as well. With his size, he could definitely contribute... I think DT is his more natural position anyway.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Gotcha... I thought you were talking about this years class.

It's really unbelievable that we didn't sign one DT in TWO years. And it's asking an awful lot for a true freshman to be able to play at that position right away. I'm hoping they're men amongst boys. They'll have to be.

I also agree they need to move Riles over to that side of the ball as well. With his size, he could definitely contribute... I think DT is his more natural position anyway.

Al, initially I was talking about this year's class....then you quoted me and mentioned DT. I think Brunson was a good pick up. He's a 2 time All-Dade 1st Team LB. And he's 6'2 210. He'll likely redshirt and be well over 220-225 by the time he plays in 2018.

Agree on Riles. I don't think he'd start, but he'd likely be the #3 or 4 in the rotation, and could start if there's an injury ahead of him. He's a true DT, at 6'4 315-ish. I'd also like to see Buchanan get a look at DT, he's 6'2 305, perfect size....and he's just rotting away on the OL.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Actually the Sentinel says he MOM be da coach :eek3:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/os-sp-lacedrick-brunson-capsule-20170201-story.html
I see an uncanny resemblance to another sports rat at the Sentinel
Untitled-14.jpg

Brunson_z1h0mw.jpg

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Last great 2-star find...Steve Harris? (DT)

I don't mind a reach, especially by Shannon. He knows if a kid has the talent and potential. No one knows how he will respond to SEC play until he gets there. We've seen plenty of 5-star flops.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Except for Wondy Pierre Louis I cant think of any 2 stars we signed that really played that much since Rivals was ranking them like that and he was frustrating as hell sometimes. You have the 2 star kickers and FBs that played but that is a standard rating for them usually.

We never offered many 2 star non-kickers and FBs until Mac's first class. Keivonnis Davis was in on quite a few tackles in some games this year.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Rivals didn't exist back then but Chris Doering was probably a two star.

Doering was a walk-on. So he didn't "sign" (an LOI).

How long has the "star" system been around? All I remember from "back in the day" is the All-State teams, the local All-Area teams, and the USA Today/Parade All-American teams.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Keivonnis Davis was in on quite a few tackles in some games this year.
Going back as far as i can on Rivals (2002), it is hard to find any production out of the 2 stars we have signed. Again, kickers are pretty much it. I guess those two games Tyler Murphy played would be next. Wondy played some but he was terrible. Hard to call that production.

2002 Pat Kelly, McCollum twins, Bunce, Mackenzie Pierre (really a terrible class looking at it, transition year from Sos to Zook)
2003 Billy Griffin and Johnny Dingle
2004 Eric Rutledge
2005 none (exc Jonnathan Phillips)
2006 Wondy
2007 none
2008 Byran Jones (who?) (and Sturgis)
2009 none
2010 Tyler Murphy
2011 none
2012 none. (exc Hardin)
2013 none (exc Townsend )
2014 none
2015- Ancrum, Keyvonnis Davis, Rayshad Jackson
2016- Trash and Putu

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Let's talk about last year a second. How does a sports academy, whose sole purpose is to get athletes to the next level, not have their kids academically qualified? It's not like you can blame their crackhead mom or non existent dad, who provide zero guidance. These kids literally have staffers that are supposed to help them. What does that say about a sports academy who can't qualify their kids.

This happened at my high school. Kid was being recruited by several schools and was holding out for a UF offer that never came. Ended up committing to another SEC school. Problem is he was a fricking rock. I think his first ACT was like a 10 give or take. Yes it may have been a 9. Took it twice more and couldn't get past 13, and I think he needed a 17. So who helps him, a group of students. They signed up to take the ACT again even though they already got the scores they needed. They sat around him so he could cheat off any of them. He tried to miss some and got a 23. His score was flagged and he had to retake. Same group of kids signed up again and he just missed more on purpose and got an 18 or 19.

Point of the story is that fellow students took it upon themselves to help him in lack of parental guidance. How can a high level sports academy not have the competence of high schoolers?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Doering was a walk-on. So he didn't "sign" (an LOI).

How long has the "star" system been around? All I remember from "back in the day" is the All-State teams, the local All-Area teams, and the USA Today/Parade All-American teams.

Law says in his post above 2002.

Going back as far as i can on Rivals (2002), it is hard to find any production out of the 2 stars we have signed. Again, kickers are pretty much it. I guess those two games Tyler Murphy played would be next. Wondy played some but he was terrible. Hard to call that production.

2002 Pat Kelly, McCollum twins, Bunce, Mackenzie Pierre (really a terrible class looking at it, transition year from Sos to Zook)
2003 Billy Griffin and Johnny Dingle
2004 Eric Rutledge
2005 none (exc Jonnathan Phillips)
2006 Wondy
2007 none
2008 Byran Jones (who?) (and Sturgis)
2009 none
2010 Tyler Murphy
2011 none
2012 none. (exc Hardin)
2013 none (exc Townsend )
2014 none