Larry Bird, GOAT?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
One of the three best, and that doesn't include MJ.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I never rooted for him when he was playing (didn't like the Celtics as a kid) but man, he was so FREAKING good! He definitely doesn't get enough mention as one of the potential best of all time. His battles with Dr. J and Magic were epic. The Hick from French Lick sure could play.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I thought I had seen all the Larry Bird highlights over the past 25 years. I was wrong. There were a whole boatload of plays in there I had never seen. Absolutely fantastic.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I saw him play his whole career, college and pro. He took Ind St to the final game against, arguably, the best PG in nba history. Certainly one of the best players ever with a Div. 1 lineup. Bird had a D2 cast with him. They beat all the best in the country to play the final four final game. He was not real. The ultimate player , rebounding, passing and shooting. He knew how to win. He and Magic were polar opposites as people but like MJ they all had the will to win no matter what. FWIW Oscar Robinson averaged a triple double one year in the NBA when there were still about 8 Pro teams so the talent pool was not diluted at all. I dont have time to explain the greatness of former basketball players but the greatest show on earth was Pete Maravich, a man that should have died before the age 25 with a bad heart, but played BB like a magician.

Last edited:

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nevermind , I just read it wrong. :)

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Larry was a trash talking player who could back it up. My favorite story was when he got pissed when other white guys would guard him. He was incredible.

And Cuing T and Lebron in 3, 2, 1...

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Larry was a trash talking player who could back it up. My favorite story was when he got pissed when other white guys would guard him. He was incredible.

And Cuing T and Lebron in 3, 2, 1...

There's a story that during a game, the Celts were down a point, with the ball, down a few seconds. He told his defender the play, where and when he was going to shoot it. The play unfolded just like Larry said, and he drained it right in the dude's grill.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I've never seen that one either. Damn

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He would constantly talk. I remember a game where he sank a 3 point dagger next to the other teams bench. As he trotted back he simply said Merry Christmas fellas.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He's definitely a top 5 player of all time.

Jordan is by himself.

Magic, Bird, and Wilt are probably the next three in whichever order.

Then there probably around 10 of them that are in the same class. That would include LeBron, Kobe, Oscar, etc...

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Great?

Absolutely.

Greatest of all time?

Absolutely not.

No offense guys. I too grew up with those awesome Celtics-Lakers finals, I watched much of Bird's career, he's in the top 10 but he's not in the top 3. Problem is, it's hard to compare other players to centers; it's hard to compare Jordan, Magic, and Bird to Kareem, Wilt, and Shaq. That said, Jordan, Kareem, Wilt, and Magic are my top 4 players of all time.

This is my All-Time team:

PG Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson
SG Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant (and I really hate Kobe)
SF LeBron James, Larry Bird (although I love Dr. J)
PF Tim Duncan, Bill Russell (yes, I move him from C to PF)
C Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Wilt Chamberlain

Alex.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great?

Absolutely.

Greatest of all time?

Absolutely not.

No offense guys. I too grew up with those awesome Celtics-Lakers finals, I watched much of Bird's career, he's in the top 10 but he's not in the top 3. Problem is, it's hard to compare other players to centers; it's hard to compare Jordan, Magic, and Bird to Kareem, Wilt, and Shaq. That said, Jordan, Kareem, Wilt, and Magic are my top 4 players of all time.

Alex.
You left out Pippen?! :lol:

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Great?

Absolutely.

Greatest of all time?

Absolutely not.

Alex.

I would take Bill Russell over Wilt and Shaq any day!

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe a better question would be: If you had to pick one player to build a team around, who would it be?

I'd take Bill Russell.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator