Larry Vettel

Dec 10, 2014
Was listening to 1010xl in the afternoon slot, and they had Vettel on. He announced he was moving to New York. He did not use the word "retire." In fact he indicated he would attempt to find work there after he got settled. He was very vague about his reasoning. Vettel is on the twitter apparently, so I looked him up and his last radio show is today from 4-6. It would seem he is either having a professional or personal issue in announcing his leaving on Wednesday and last show on Thursday.

Anybody listen to his show yesterday or will be listening today?

Attachments

• conv_3528.jpeg
    conv_3528.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 62

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe people in NY will want to hear him talk about the Yankees non-stop.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The local sports station only hires Yankees south Florida Yankees. It's pretty rough around here.

Dec 10, 2014
Law98gator;n239421 said:
Maybe people in NY will want to hear him talk about the Yankees non-stop.

I don't think anybody wants to hear him talk non-stop. He and his show were both lazy. In the two-hour block, 80% of the show was callers or commercials. That's a lot of filler. One thing for Vettel is that by looking at him, you know he understands filler.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n239433 said:
Long time radio host in Gainesville. Has been on since the early 80s.

Dwags wouldn't know anything about Gainesville.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Not our Radio Host any more so do not care. We've already determined he was terrible so no need to beat that dead horse. Frankly, any continued posts about him--regardless of context--are pointless and in bad taste. Let's move on.

Dec 10, 2014
soflagator;n239464 said:
Not our Radio Host any more so do not care. We've already determined he was terrible so no need to beat that dead horse. Frankly, any continued posts about him--regardless of context--are pointless and in bad taste. Let's move on.

hmmm

:suspect2:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wish him well, but never my favorite.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Now if they could only find a way to get Steve Russell to move to New York

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n239423 said:
The local sports station only hires Yankees south Florida Yankees. It's pretty rough around here.

He's from NYC, Long Island I think. Seems like one of his daughters lives up there in NY, maybe even in NYC...

Apparently people who know him say he and his wife were just ready for a change and loves the City. I think he's in his mid to late fifties. Good time for a change. Keeps life new and fresh. NYC has lots to offer and lower humidity and heat than here. I wouldn't be surprised if being close to future grandchildren factors in as well, although I have not read or heard anything about that- just personal experience observing changes people make in anticipation if grandkids.

Lots of people enjoy his show. Apparently, not so many of them post here.. I really liked him. He stuck to his values and was courteous with people who disagreed with him. . Also knowledgeable, and reminded me of some DJs from earlier decades. I'll miss him.

Dec 10, 2014
Jenny On The Railroad;n239597 said:
He's from NYC, Long Island I think. Seems like one of his daughters lives up there in NY, maybe even in NYC...

Apparently people who know him say he and his wife were just ready for a change and loves the City. I think he's in his mid to late fifties. Good time for a change. Keeps life new and fresh. NYC has lots to offer and lower humidity and heat than here. I wouldn't be surprised if being close to future grandchildren factors in as well, although I have not read or heard anything about that- just personal experience observing changes people make in anticipation if grandkids.

Lots of people enjoy his show. Apparently, not so many of them post here.. I really liked him. He stuck to his values and was courteous with people who disagreed with him. . Also knowledgeable, and reminded me of some DJs from earlier decades. I'll miss him.

I have no idea what his reasons are. I just find it odd and borderline unprofessional to announce your leaving and your last show the next day. It's not really respectful to any of the fans that he actually has. And unless he informed his employer long before, it's burning a bridge with WRUF. As to him being courteous, it would depend on the caller. I thought he was quite condescending to a chunk of his callers and frankly that's why his show was so stale most of the time. It was simply him taking a call and giving a sarcastic "okay" to the person he didn't agree with.

All that aside, he's basically a fixture in modern, Gainesville sports journalism. My dad used to call him up when he did dial-a-score.

I'll be listening to the first hour today.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Jenny On The Railroad;n239597 said:

I just like to jump on the bandwagon of haters. It's all in fun. I listen to the vettel show more than I'd admit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator