Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. Now Del Rio is healthy but Franks is doing better than expected, and the staff is now forced to choose between experience and talent.
Do you REALLY think this is likely? A guy who looked like shyt in the SG vs Kamrin Knight, Desir Jones, freshemn and walkons, is now "doing better than expected."

Or is it more likely that they look like an athletic kid who just transferred and doesnt know the playbook, a 23 yo walkon with below average talent, and a clueless 19 yo who doesnt think that gamefilm is worth his time?

Is it more likely that they all still look like shyt and so does our OL for Butters 3.0.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Do you REALLY think this is likely? A guy who looked like shyt in the SG vs Kamrin Knight, Desir Jones, freshemn and walkons, is now "doing better than expected."

Or is it more likely that they look like an athletic kid who just transferred and doesnt know the playbook, a 23 yo walkon with below average talent, and a clueless 19 yo who doesnt think that gamefilm is worth his time?

Is it more likely that they all still look like shyt and so does our OL for Butters 3.0.
We'll find out soon enough.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I would rather Franks not make his first start against a defense like that. I guess I would rather try him than LDR who I think wouldn't fare well against that defense either but I think Zaire is the QB to start to give you the best chance to win the game. I think all that blitzing would overwhelm Franks having no experience.

I like this scenario better if Zaire can get more of the playbook down. Think you start bringing Franks in the 2nd game and slowly turn the reins over to him over the next few games. That is, unless Zaire just looks fantastic. I think Franks is the guy they eventually turn the offense over to cause like many have said, he has the biggest ceiling. Maybe Franks really starts to blossom by mid to late season and we end up with a real shot to beat Fsu and possibly SEC Champ Game if we make it.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
... are they playing LDR, are they playing Zaire, are the playing Franks, are they playing us?
I worry the coach-staff confusion hurts the team's "full speed ahead" readiness.?? Is Mac providing indecisiveness instead of development? Are the WRs & pass blockers able to perfect overall timings with 3 "who knows" QBs?
What team gelling is there, team spirit is there if at this late date players are saying, "I don't care who the QB is"?
"It's up to the coaches" {it sure is} This is the central player at making the offense go. Where is he?

Could Mac be descending into a "safet-first" plan, giving us the experienced 2 QB alternating starters with Franks taking mop-up duty (if we ever get safely ahead)?
Sounds reasonable.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So what happens when we're seven games in and we realize we've got two "super average" transfers and a highly talented but underachieving freshman?

What happens when we realize that we spent all this money and time on a coach who allegedly has a rep for developing quarterbacks when the real rep is for developing doubt?

God, I hope my concerns are misguided, but I bet they aren't.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So what happens when we're seven games in and we realize we've got two "super average" transfers and a highly talented but underachieving freshman?

What happens when we realize that we spent all this money and time on a coach who allegedly has a rep for developing quarterbacks when the real rep is for developing doubt
?

If by we, you mean UF Admin, I think we form a search committee and begin looking at names that may be available, either this December or the next, as I believe the experiment will have run its due course.

If by we, you mean us as fans on GCMB, I think we take a rational approach to the whole thing, patiently awaiting the details from our AD with full faith that the correct move will be made, while maintaining a balanced view of the current regime, careful to avoid any comments that may be considered a personal or cheap shot of the staff, their families or pets, referencing any noticeable discoloration of a physical attribute, or intentionally manipulating said coaches' last names to resemble a less than flattering word or phrase.

Just a hunch.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
I'm of the opinion that if Zaire isn't able to beat out Rio or Frank's then were ****ed. We all know what we've got in Rio, a below average arm, below average decision making, 3rd string SEC qb. Franks looked like shyt in the spring game and has had a year and a half to beat out Rio and hasn't been able to do it. I'm going out on a limb here and saying if he hasn't been able to do it yet, it's probably never going to happen. There were probably 15 to 18 qb's in the SEC last year that could have beat out Rio including back ups and none of them were named Franks. I just don't see him getting a lot better upstairs. So back to Zaire, if he isn't good enough to beat out these 2 then I believe were back to 2015 and 2016 with a worse defense.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If by we, you mean us as fans on GCMB, I think we take a rational approach to the whole thing, patiently awaiting the details from our AD with full faith that the correct move will be made, while maintaining a balanced view of the current regime, careful to avoid any comments that may be considered a personal or cheap shot of the staff, their families or pets, referencing any noticeable discoloration of a physical attribute, or intentionally manipulating said coaches' last names to resemble a less than flattering word or phrase.
:lol3:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If by we, you mean UF Admin, I think we form a search committee and begin looking at names that may be available, either this December or the next, as I believe the experiment will have run its due course.
That's very cute but it wouldn't happen even if we started off 0-6. Mac has next year no matter what, even if we pull off a winless season.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Just a hunch.

We = UF

Here's where I'm really concerned. We've racked up a pair of symbolic divisional "titles" that nevertheless embellish the head coach's resume and which gave the mamby pamby new administrative, err athletic, director ammunition to up and extend his contract. Combined with the likelihood that we won't lose more than four games, five at the most, next season, it's almost impossible to think the head coach won't be given yet another broad pass to the following season and the season after that.

This self-perpetuating cycle of mediocrity could go on for years.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

I gave this a bit more thought and realized this staff has played this game every season at UF so far.

1. In August 2015 when we all knew that they had to go with Grier, they pretended it was even with Harris. Later we thought that maybe it was due to the looming suspension of Grier and we saw they really close they were not.

2. In August 2016 when we all knew that they wanted to go with Del Rio, they had brought in Appleby and thus pretended it was a close race. It probably should have been a close race and maybe Appleby should have had the job all year.

3. Now in August 2017 it is once more a close race. Many think they want to start Del Rio. They brought in Zaire and so must sell him that he is in the race. They don't want Franks to transfer for some reason I guess so they are selling him as being in the race.

Base on what we have seen so far, I think the title of this thread is correct and everything else is the same kind of bs we have seen for two years from this staff and should expect more of in the future.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We = UF

Here's where I'm really concerned. We've racked up a pair of symbolic divisional "titles" that nevertheless embellish the head coach's resume and which gave the mamby pamby new administrative, err athletic, director ammunition to up and extend his contract. Combined with the likelihood that we won't lose more than four games, five at the most, next season, it's almost impossible to think the head coach won't be given yet another broad pass to the following season and the season after that.

This self-perpetuating cycle of mediocrity could go on for years.
That's been my biggest fear, and I'm watching it happen right before my eyes. Hope Mac can prove me wrong, retaining Nuss and his failure to develop a QB has me with little hope at this point in time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The theory that Chimp got four years therefore any idiot should get four years SHOULDNT be the rule around here, and yet it seems to be.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Whoa! If the coaches can't decide among QBs, it's because:

A: They're all great - ( a good problem to have) toss a coin and pick one,
B: They're average with a combination of strengths & weaknesses (most likely scenario) - rotate them all and see what works,
C. They're all bad - time to end this and other similar threads.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016

Just a hunch.
I want to like this comment because it's really well thought out. But making fun is part of the message board. So if Mac and the staff are sucking and losing in the middle of the season, gloves are off on GCMB.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Good rule to follow through fall camp is don't believe the BS about QBs playing well in practice. At least that's how it's been the last ten years almost. You just shouldn't buy that Franks looks good. I want him to be a great QB worse than anybody. But it is probably more likely that we're going to struggle on offense again. If DelRio is still competing for the starting job then we know for sure the other QBs suck. I'm hoping in the last week here or so Franks is named the starter. That would be the only thing that gives me hope for the offense. Because that at least means he's better than DelRio. Or Zaire being named starter. That would be very welcome news too.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good rule to follow through fall camp is don't believe the BS about QBs playing well in practice. At least that's how it's been the last ten years almost.

Great point, but I also believe they can look good in camp, then when the lights come on at the big stage, some guy's butts pucker up so tight they can't play loose and fast so they suck at game time. I believe we've had a QB or two that wasn't so great in camp, yet lit the place up in live action. Some guys thrive under pressure, some fold...

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Great point, but I also believe they can look good in camp, then when the lights come on at the big stage, some guy's butts pucker up so tight they can't play loose and fast so they suck at game time. I believe we've had a QB or two that wasn't so great in camp, yet lit the place up in live action. Some guys thrive under pressure, some fold...
Definitely true. We've had a few like that around the last ten years. I'm sure Driskel looked pretty good in practice but was something like a really bad EJ Manuel in game.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
You guys need to relax a little. Going in Mac had an untried redshirt freshman and former starter coming back from multiple injuries. He gets Zaire because he is not sure about Franks, He is not sure if Del Rio is really healed, and history has shown, that you need two quarterbacks ready to go for the season. This competition might not be for the starting position. It may be for the backup position and to light a fire under the second best QB.

I hope Mac doesn't announce a starter until gameday. I hope the three start in a huddle on the sideline, and one of them just walks in. It would drive this board mad, mad I tell you! Hopefully it would drive Michigan mad too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator