Status
Not open for further replies.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Just relaying what I heard on 1010xl here in Jacksonville. Take it for what it is worth.

Frank Frangie said he was told LDR is in the mix to start as the coaching staff trusts him the most. Zaire was leading until recently. Franks is unexpectedly pushing Zaire. Franks has been better than the staff thought he would be. They didn't think he'd really be in the mix after the way he played in the spring. According to Frangie, Franks has been so impressive the staff "doesn't know what the hell to do."
I can believe that last sentence. :lol:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
... are they playing LDR, are they playing Zaire, are the playing Franks, are they playing us?
I worry the coach-staff confusion hurts the team's "full speed ahead" readiness.?? Is Mac providing indecisiveness instead of development? Are the WRs & pass blockers able to perfect overall timings with 3 "who knows" QBs?
What team gelling is there, team spirit is there if at this late date players are saying, "I don't care who the QB is"?
"It's up to the coaches" {it sure is} This is the central player at making the offense go. Where is he?

Could Mac be descending into a "safet-first" plan, giving us the experienced 2 QB alternating starters with Franks taking mop-up duty (if we ever get safely ahead)?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just relaying what I heard on 1010xl here in Jacksonville. Take it for what it is worth.

Frank Frangie said he was told LDR is in the mix to start as the coaching staff trusts him the most. Zaire was leading until recently. Franks is unexpectedly pushing Zaire. Franks has been better than the staff thought he would be. They didn't think he'd really be in the mix after the way he played in the spring. According to Frangie, Franks has been so impressive the staff "doesn't know what the hell to do."

Good God, help me please. This is such a simple answer. If they're really that close, then you start the RS Freshman because he has the biggest upside of the 3. Simple!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good God, help me please. This is such a simple answer. If they're really that close, then you start the RS Freshman because he has the biggest upside of the 3. Simple!

Yep Nav, one obvious separation is 6'6". Can't close that gap.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

Frangie is the ultimate pumper. He'd find sunshine in Stalin's rear end. However, assuming this is true, I agree. If they are so close you start Franks. I get the feeling this staff just likes having vets lead the way. So, they are reluctant to hand the reigns over to someone as young as Franks.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
... are they playing LDR, are they playing Zaire, are the playing Franks, are they playing us?
I worry the coach-staff confusion hurts the team's "full speed ahead" readiness.?? Is Mac providing indecisiveness instead of development? Are the WRs & pass blockers able to perfect overall timings with 3 "who knows" QBs?
What team gelling is there, team spirit is there if at this late date players are saying, "I don't care who the QB is"?
"It's up to the coaches" {it sure is} This is the central player at making the offense go. Where is he?

Could Mac be descending into a "safet-first" plan, giving us the experienced 2 QB alternating starters with Franks taking mop-up duty (if we ever get safely ahead)?

Sadly I read this and think:

1. This staff does not view Franks as ready.

2. The battered Del Rio coming off injury is not better than the not ready Franks.

3. Zaire has come and is not a polished as they thought he was. Another way of putting it is Zaire's limited experience shows.

Or put another way, despite taking a graduate transfer, UF again appears not to have a QB.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Under the above circumstances, it sounds like you start Franks and begin his baptism by fire, season from hell and us :suicide2: Unfortunately, you don't grow by watching and simulating.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I would rather Franks not make his first start against a defense like that. I guess I would rather try him than LDR who I think wouldn't fare well against that defense either but I think Zaire is the QB to start to give you the best chance to win the game. I think all that blitzing would overwhelm Franks having no experience.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I would rather Franks not make his first start against a defense like that. I guess I would rather try him than LDR who I think wouldn't fare well against that defense either but I think Zaire is the QB to start to give you the best chance to win the game. I think all that blitzing would overwhelm Franks having no experience.
It's a rebuilding year. Get your young guys in there and play for the future. We aren't winning any championships this year.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It's a rebuilding year. Get your young guys in there and play for the future. We aren't winning any championships this year.

I still think maybe start Zaire that first game and see if you can get a win somehow. If things don't work out then give Franks his chance. Still a lot of the season to go to get experience if we aren't going to be a threat to the good teams in the SEC.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is all a guess, but I think like last year the staff preemptively wanted to start Del Rio, but since they weren't sure if he'd be healthy in time, they brought in Zaire as insurance. Now Del Rio is healthy but Franks is doing better than expected, and the staff is now forced to choose between experience and talent.

I think the coaches will choose to go with experience since it seems less risky, but I hope they are willing to take a risk and go with the talent. Del Rio isn't getting any better. Franks will continue to get better as a gains more experience. This isn't a championship year. Go ahead and build towards the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.