Link for today's practice report over at 247

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like Treon Harris may straight up beat out Grier if he continues playing like he has.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet said:
I said it a couple of weeks ago and I'll say it again...if I'm CWM I am not redshirting ANY of my QB's. This is his last chance year, he needs to have every weapon available to keep his job and turn this thing around. There is no margin for error here. We lost our 2 best QB's last year and I'll guarantee you that it cost us a couple of games even if we had someone close to JD's or Murphy's ability. It also cost us a bowl game and the couple of weeks practice that come with even a crappy bowl game. There are no more chances or excuses and if history teaches us anything it should be that it can repeat itself.
Now if in 2015 one of them stubs his toe walking to class then yes by all means pull the redshirt.
The question how many games comes up all the time. I think the answer is 0. If they have any play time at all the redshirt doesn't apply. The quarter schedule playtime redshirt applies to medical redshirts.

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's interesting that we've been hearing that all fall practice Grier seems to be the clear #2 in terms of performance and that it wasn't close. Then Treon Harris has ONE good practice and people start showing up saying "Welp, it looks like Treon is definitely the guy." It would be nice to see this thing play out on its own without it turning into another Driskel/Brissett polarizing issue again. I would love either guy who is performing the best by the end of the camp. Just tired of losing.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All hands on deck! One of them can redshirt next year if need be.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Himey;29580 said:
It's interesting that we've been hearing that all fall practice Grier seems to be the clear #2 in terms of performance and that it wasn't close. Then Treon Harris has ONE good practice and people start showing up saying "Welp, it looks like Treon is definitely the guy." It would be nice to see this thing play out on its own without it turning into another Driskel/Brissett polarizing issue again. I would love either guy who is performing the best by the end of the camp. Just tired of losing.
If it was one practice then you would have a point. It's been all week that Harris has been great. We will see how it plays out though.

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
JC_Gator;n29603 said:
If it was one practice then you would have a point. It's been all week that Harris has been great. We will see how it plays out though.

Then at the very least, it should be considered a wash...neck and neck. Seems like some had already made their pick and had been sitting on the sidelines waiting for whatever excuse to declare their guy the winner.

Similar to the tirelessly repeated slogan that Brissett was the guy b/c of his poise in the pocket. That was picked up by many and repeated as if it was gospel.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
It is virtually neck and neck at this point. However a tie in this case goes to Harris because we will use him in various positions this year regardless if he is the starting QB and we can then redshirt Grier.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n29482 said:
Either way, I don't want Grier getting tons of time this year. Let him sit and learn the system. It's been shown tons of times in the past that quarterbacks who aren't thrown into a starting role their true freshman season end up performing much better in the long run than those who do.

It doesn't matter to me if Grier or Harris ends up being the number 2, but whoever it is I hope gets plenty of time in mop up duty this season. We need to get comfortable leads on the bad teams to get our backups game experience.

Thomas Goldkamp

Jul 18, 2014
Concrete Helmet said:
I said it a couple of weeks ago and I'll say it again...if I'm CWM I am not redshirting ANY of my QB's. This is his last chance year, he needs to have every weapon available to keep his job and turn this thing around. There is no margin for error here. We lost our 2 best QB's last year and I'll guarantee you that it cost us a couple of games even if we had someone close to JD's or Murphy's ability. It also cost us a bowl game and the couple of weeks practice that come with even a crappy bowl game. There are no more chances or excuses and if history teaches us anything it should be that it can repeat itself.
Now if in 2015 one of them stubs his toe walking to class then yes by all means pull the redshirt.
Correct, GatorJ. Play one play and you burn the redshirt. You can, however, get a medical redshirt if you have a documented injury and have played in no more than 4 of the team's first 6 games of the season. You play a single snap in Game 7 or later, no redshirt, not even a medical.

Thomas Goldkamp

Jul 18, 2014
Himey;n29580 said:

I would normally agree with you, but it's three straight days of VERY good play from Harris, not one. He has been money the last three days and showing remarkable timing for a freshman in just his second week of college ball.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Concrete Helmet said:
Thanks J and Thomas. Soooo let's say they play up to the 5th game and then get a bad case of migraine headaches or tendonitis "who's" doctor gives them a medical ??

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n29105 said:
I think Harris is a better fit for backing Driskel up. If rather have Grier redshirt (which he prefers) and have him take over in 2 years as a RS Soph.

There is something to that, both being guys who run better than they pass and not requiring the OL and others to learn another set of plays. The playbook for Grier and Morningwood is more pass based I'd assume.

That beings said, Treon weighs like 178 lbs. It won't take many hits from SEC DL to take him out.

If we are going to have the QBs run the ball a lot, I won't be surprised to see the 3rd stringer. Actually I suspect we'll see three this year regardless.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet said:
I think the NCAA grants Medical Redshirts. So, if passes muster they would grant it.

Thomas Goldkamp

Jul 18, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n29482 said:
Redshirts aren't handed out until after the season, so he can plan to have Grier sit, but if something happens and he has to play, it's not like he won't be able to put him in.

Either way, I don't want Grier getting tons of time this year. Let him sit and learn the system. It's been shown tons of times in the past that quarterbacks who aren't thrown into a starting role their true freshman season end up performing much better in the long run than those who do.

I highly doubt the first line here happens unless Florida's going to its third starting quarterback because the first two went down. Muschamp has said repeatedly he wants to get the backup meaningful experience in the first few games so if he has to play later in the year he's not taking his first snaps. Simply saying 'we'll plan to redshirt Grier unless something happens' completely goes against the entire point of trying to get the backup reps early this season. They want a backup that's ready to play, so the guy they pick will be known before the season. The other one will go into the year planning to redshirt barring something drastic.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think that's what Sas was getting at Thomas. That if Harris wins the backup job, Grier would only come in if both Driskel and Harris went down.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;29806 said:
GatorJ;n29105 said:
I think Harris is a better fit for backing Driskel up. If rather have Grier redshirt (which he prefers) and have him take over in 2 years as a RS Soph.
There is something to that, both being guys who run better than they pass and not requiring the OL and others to learn another set of plays. The playbook for Grier and Morningwood is more pass based I'd assume. That beings said, Treon weighs like 178 lbs. It won't take many hits from SEC DL to take him out. If we are going to have the QBs run the ball a lot, I won't be surprised to see the 3rd stringer. Actually I suspect we'll see three this year regardless.

I have no faith in the O line. So this would not surprise me. We're still a year away from solid depth.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Backup Freshman Tackle David Sharpe has a high ankle sprain and is out. That seems to be the only major injury leaving camp. Rod Johnson took a lot of reps today at RT.

Thomas Goldkamp

Jul 18, 2014
GatorJ;n30048 said:
I have no faith in the O line. So this would not surprise me. We're still a year away from solid depth.

Next year could be even worse unless there is some major development from some young guys, IMO. You get Thurman, Moore, Humphries back. Then you need Johnson, Sharpe, Riles, maybe Dillard to be ready to feel anywhere close to good about the depth. Or other guys to enter that mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator